Re: Loading all sources versus piecemeal

  • bd_92@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      > Of course, both of the options only make any sense whatsoever on
      systems
      > with small amounts of RAM. Such systems are becoming vanishingly
      rare
      > these days.

      hardly..i still have a slew of machine with less than 128mbs of ram,
      and they need to run PCGEN. The smaller the memory footprint the
      better. I had to upgrade to more memory on most of the laptops for
      this reason.
    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        One monkey wrench in this is that java is fairly bad at memory
        management. Okay, bad is a bad word... more like you don't have as
        much control over memory management as you do with other languages.
        Simply telling java to recycle memory is not a trivial undertaking.

        I think that we can address this issue in 2 ways:
        1. users who really need to minimize the memory footprint can cut
        down the lst files to exactly what they need - cut out any races from
        phbrace.lst they don't use, cut out the magic weapons they don't use,
        etc.
        2. we'll slowly make out objects more efficient in their memory usage
        - since most of us developer types tend to have workhorse machines,
        this is probably low priority and will be addressed by slowly over
        time.

        -Bryan
      • bd_92@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          > I think that we can address this issue in 2 ways:
          > 1. users who really need to minimize the memory footprint can cut
          > down the lst files to exactly what they need - cut out any races
          from
          > phbrace.lst they don't use, cut out the magic weapons they don't
          use,
          > etc.

          But in this instance when updates are made to the .lst file we would
          have to reedit them again. This would be tedious and time consuming.
          Some of the folk that use the low end boxes don't have time to that
          over and over as they are updated.

          > 2. we'll slowly make out objects more efficient in their memory
          usage
          > - since most of us developer types tend to have workhorse machines,
          > this is probably low priority and will be addressed by slowly over
          > time.

          Still trying to get this blasted NIC to work in the laptop to dl
          pcgen.jar file.

          this would be an ideal solution to create a PCGen Lite version that
          would have most of the guts ripped out and only the core files added.
          I wouldn't know which files you would need or use but I am sure
          someone has an idea. This way you could produce 2 versions of it and
          still proceeding on the main course, but once your new conversion is
          taken place in the upcoming versions then what does it do the memory
          allocation and usage?