Removing tabs from lst files

  • Fred Whitman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
      Could someone tell why I get error everytime I edit a lst file.  All I do is delete some of the tabs so everything is in a nice columns and when I load PCGen I get all sorts of error.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
        What editor are you using? The lst files should remain ASCII, meaning
        no binary bits should be included that apps like Microsoft Word or
        whatever would use. Just about any editor (including Micorsoft Word)
        can be forced to save in "Text" mode, which is what you want to use.
        You can even use Excel as long as you save in Text mode.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Fred Whitman" <fwhitman@d...> wrote:
        > Could someone tell why I get error everytime I edit a lst file.
        All I do is delete some of the tabs so everything is in a nice
        columns and when I load PCGen I get all sorts of error.
      • Mark Jenison
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
          It seems like these text files display either nicely or not nice,
          depending on what editor you use...it's a quite similar problem to that
          which is seen with browsers (page displays nicely in IE vs
          Netscape). People who work on them may be tempted to remove/add
          spaces/tabs depending on how it looks in their editor.

          Is there a "these text files are best when viewed/edited by (text
          editor)"? Because if there is a recommended text editor, maybe we could
          add that recommendation to the FAQ (I haven't read the FAQ, so maybe there
          is already one in there).

          An editor like emacs seems to work well across platforms, and someone with
          some ambition could edit the .emacs file to have nice color schemes for
          all the tags :-)

          (I don't want to start a religious war between text editors, but it would
          be nice to have a "if all else fails, use X" recommendation.)

          --
          Mark Jenison
        • Fred Whitman
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
            I'm using Notepad and I just save it.  I don't use save as, could this be the problem.

          • merton_monk@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
              Good thought, Mark.
              I use wordpad for all my lst file editing (well, sometimes I fall
              back into using VI, depends on what machine I'm on...). My tabs for
              wordpad is set to 6 characters and the columns all line up nicely. So
              I guess that would be my recommendation for the 'de facto' editor. :)

              -Bryan
            • merton_monk@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
                Hmmm... I wouldn't have thought so. Could you upload one of these
                lst files that cause you so much grief to the "Bugs and Features"
                folder here so we can take a peek? With that on hand, the problem
                should be easier to resolve.