FAQ version 0.3

  • peder@officeline.no
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2001
      Is now up on the same adress as before:

      http://pedertest.officeline.no/pcgen/

      Cheers,

      Peder
    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2001
        Looks like you're covering more and more stuff. Maybe at some point
        you can expand your topic to cover common lst-file-editing problems.
        :)

        I can't think of any major topics you haven't addressed - except
        maybe to say something about how Bugs should have BUG in the subject
        title (just helps to draw our attention to it on days when there are
        so many posts that it might otherwise get lost in the shuffle), and
        feature requests should have FREQ in the title. Also mention that
        sometimes what one person considers a bug is an intentional feature -
        and that most FREQs actually go through the discussion-mill here
        before being finalized and added to our list. If they want to know
        what the 'official' bug and freq list contains, they can check them
        out at sourceforge.

        Keep up the good work! A FAQ can help answer newbie questions and
        shorten their frustration time when common things go wrong. It also
        helps minimize the traffic here so the non-common problems and
        suggestions don't get lost.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., peder@o... wrote:
        > Is now up on the same adress as before:
        >
        > http://pedertest.officeline.no/pcgen/
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Peder
      • Mark Jenison
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 29, 2001
          On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 merton_monk@... wrote:

          > I can't think of any major topics you haven't addressed - except
          > maybe to say something about how Bugs should have BUG in the subject
          > title (just helps to draw our attention to it on days when there are
          > so many posts that it might otherwise get lost in the shuffle), and

          In addition to having BUG in the subject title, any bugs submitted
          should list the exact and detailed procedures and pertinent values
          necessary to reproduce the bug. This will help with debugging, and is a
          lot more helpful than just "X doesn't work" and having the developers
          spend time trying to figure out how to break it.

          --
          Mark Jenison
        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2001
            Very true. It's almost impossible to include too much info.
            Basically if something isn't working right, include the list of steps
            you took to get to where you notice something is wrong. Explain what
            you were expecting (so someone without the book...) can know what
            *should* be happening. If you can play with it a bit to reproduce it
            in the fewest number of steps, it makes it a lot easier to track
            down. If the GUI starts behaving oddly, you should probably put
            yourself in Debug mode and post a copy of everything that's listed in
            your debug console. Most GUI wonkiness is exception related and
            those get logged to the debug console. The Debug mode simply makes
            PCGen dump lots of extra stuff there that may be useful.

            The easier you can make our job in seeing the bug, the more likely it
            is to be fixed in the next release. ;)

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., Mark Jenison <jenison@e...> wrote:
            > On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 merton_monk@y... wrote:
            >
            > > I can't think of any major topics you haven't addressed - except
            > > maybe to say something about how Bugs should have BUG in the
            subject
            > > title (just helps to draw our attention to it on days when there
            are
            > > so many posts that it might otherwise get lost in the shuffle),
            and

            > In addition to having BUG in the subject title, any bugs submitted
            > should list the exact and detailed procedures and pertinent values
            > necessary to reproduce the bug. This will help with debugging, and
            is a
            > lot more helpful than just "X doesn't work" and having the
            developers
            > spend time trying to figure out how to break it.
            >
            > --
            > Mark Jenison
          • Glenn Holmer
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
              peder@... wrote:

              > Is now up on the same adress as before:

              > at present the HTML-file takes presendens over the other two,

              "precedence"

              Glenn Holmer (gholmer@...)
              "Mere force is useless against people who are neither
              cowards nor fools. We must match courage with courage
              and cunning with still greater cunning if we are to do
              anything at all."
              -Leslie Howard in "The Scarlet Pimpernel", 1935