Wee spell update

  • Phantom of Krankor
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 22, 2001
      Well, I've made an interesting discovery. PCGen doesn't like it when
      Domain names have parentheses in them. I changed my domain names from
      All(Minor) to All_Minor, and voila! Sort of....

      I have to choose all of my spells from the Domain lists. However, when
      I select my domain to pick spells from, my Available Cast is 0 and my
      Known is 0. If I click on a spell anyway, I get a popup that says
      "First 1 spells must come from specialty ([])" I'm not sure what that
      means.

      Of course, I understand that what I'm trying to do with domains goes
      slightly against core rules, since core rules only allow for 1 domain
      spell/level. Is there any way I can set DOMAINKNOWN or some such
      thing?

      -Greg G

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2001
        --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:

        > Well, I've made an interesting discovery. PCGen doesn't like it
        when
        > Domain names have parentheses in them. I changed my domain names
        from
        > All(Minor) to All_Minor, and voila! Sort of....

        Ah yes, ()'s might cause problems in class/domain names.

        > I have to choose all of my spells from the Domain lists. However,
        when
        > I select my domain to pick spells from, my Available Cast is 0 and
        my
        > Known is 0. If I click on a spell anyway, I get a popup that says
        > "First 1 spells must come from specialty ([])" I'm not sure what
        that
        > means.

        For level 0 you should get 0 spells cast/known. What level were you
        selecting? Did you define the spells in your classspell.lst for
        All_Minor?

        > Of course, I understand that what I'm trying to do with domains goes
        > slightly against core rules, since core rules only allow for 1
        domain
        > spell/level. Is there any way I can set DOMAINKNOWN or some such
        > thing?

        Currently PCGen assumes that no matter how many domains a class has,
        that it can only select 1 domain spell for each level to memorize.
        You should be able to know all of them (actually, you should
        automatically have all that you can know added to your Known Spells
        spellbook without you having to do anything).

        -Bryan
      • Phantom of Krankor
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 2001
          --- merton_monk@... wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:
          > > Well, I've made an interesting discovery. PCGen doesn't like it
          > when
          > > Domain names have parentheses in them. I changed my domain names
          > from
          > > All(Minor) to All_Minor, and voila! Sort of....
          >
          > Ah yes, ()'s might cause problems in class/domain names.

          Well why didn't you say so in the first place? :)

          > Currently PCGen assumes that no matter how many domains a class has,
          > that it can only select 1 domain spell for each level to memorize.
          > You should be able to know all of them (actually, you should
          > automatically have all that you can know added to your Known Spells
          > spellbook without you having to do anything).

          Ah. So my little strategy of using PCGen's domains to do that
          old-style Minor/Major access won't work. Any suggestions as to how I
          can achieve my results? Can I create loadable spellbooks maybe? Or
          some complex way of using the domains as a pre-req to choosing a spell?

          -Greg G

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 22, 2001
            I don't think I'm quite clear on what exactly you're trying to
            accomplish. Lately I haven't been able to read all the posts (I was
            recently laid off so I've been spending quite a bit of time beating
            all the bushes trying to find employment - anyone know of a developer
            opening in the Chicago area????). So would you mind repeating the
            details of what you were hoping to accomplish?

            -Bryan

            --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:

            > --- merton_monk@y... wrote:
            > > --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:
            > > > Well, I've made an interesting discovery. PCGen doesn't like
            it
            > > when
            > > > Domain names have parentheses in them. I changed my domain
            names
            > > from
            > > > All(Minor) to All_Minor, and voila! Sort of....
            > >
            > > Ah yes, ()'s might cause problems in class/domain names.
            >
            > Well why didn't you say so in the first place? :)
            >
            > > Currently PCGen assumes that no matter how many domains a class
            has,
            > > that it can only select 1 domain spell for each level to
            memorize.
            > > You should be able to know all of them (actually, you should
            > > automatically have all that you can know added to your Known
            Spells
            > > spellbook without you having to do anything).
            >
            > Ah. So my little strategy of using PCGen's domains to do that
            > old-style Minor/Major access won't work. Any suggestions as to how
            > can achieve my results? Can I create loadable spellbooks maybe? Or
            > some complex way of using the domains as a pre-req to choosing a
            spell?

            > -Greg G

            > http://personals.yahoo.com
          • Phantom of Krankor
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 22, 2001
              I understand. My manager was recently booted, and my personal
              search isn't going that well here in the wilds of Charlotte, NC.

              Here's what I'm trying to do: I'm building a PCC for the Masque of
              the Red Death rules as used in the RPGA's Living Death campaign.

              I've got two spellcaster problems that I'm dealing with here.

              The first stems from the way that "Mystic" (read Cleric) spells are
              assigned. There are about a dozen spell domains that are divided into
              Minor (1-3 level spells) and Major (4+ level spells) categories. I
              can't figure out a good way to handle that.

              The second seems to be that I've got a memorizing spellcaster
              (Adept, read Wizard) that's got a limited spellbook to start, with
              Detect Magic, Read Magic. They can only select 2 other 0-level spells
              and 2 1st-level spells. I can't seem to get it to handle the spells
              known correctly.

              (All of my current files are in
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/Campaign+Central/GG's%20Files)

              Thanks.

              -Greg G

              --- merton_monk@... wrote:
              > I don't think I'm quite clear on what exactly you're trying to
              > accomplish. Lately I haven't been able to read all the posts (I was
              > recently laid off so I've been spending quite a bit of time beating
              > all the bushes trying to find employment - anyone know of a developer
              > opening in the Chicago area????). So would you mind repeating the
              > details of what you were hoping to accomplish?
              >
              > -Bryan
              >
              > --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- merton_monk@y... wrote:
              > it
              > > > when
              > names
              > > > from
              > > >
              > > > Ah yes, ()'s might cause problems in class/domain names.
              > >
              > > Well why didn't you say so in the first place? :)
              > >
              > > > Currently PCGen assumes that no matter how many domains a class
              > has,
              > > > that it can only select 1 domain spell for each level to
              > memorize.
              > > > You should be able to know all of them (actually, you should
              > > > automatically have all that you can know added to your Known
              > Spells
              > > > spellbook without you having to do anything).
              > >
              > > Ah. So my little strategy of using PCGen's domains to do that
              > > old-style Minor/Major access won't work. Any suggestions as to how

              > > can achieve my results? Can I create loadable spellbooks maybe?
              > Or
              > > some complex way of using the domains as a pre-req to choosing a
              > spell?
              > >
              > > -Greg G

              > > http://personals.yahoo.com

              http://personals.yahoo.com
            • Phantom Of Krankor
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
                Following up on this, now that I've got domains doing what I want.

                > --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:
                > > I have to choose all of my spells from the Domain lists. However,
                > when
                > > I select my domain to pick spells from, my Available Cast is 0 and
                > my
                > > Known is 0. If I click on a spell anyway, I get a popup that says
                > > "First 1 spells must come from specialty ([])" I'm not sure what
                > that
                > > means.
                >
                > For level 0 you should get 0 spells cast/known. What level were you
                > selecting? Did you define the spells in your classspell.lst for
                > All_Minor?

                It looks like I am getting the behaviour that I want for spell
                levels 1 and 2. At those levels, all of the domain spells (regardless
                of the number of domains) are being added to my "Known" list.
                However, for spell level 3 and up, this isn't happening, and I'm
                getting the above popup error message.

                Thanks.

                -Greg G
              • Phantom Of Krankor
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
                  Following up on my follow-up:

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Phantom Of Krankor" <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:

                  > Following up on this, now that I've got domains doing what I
                  want.

                  > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
                  > > --- In pcgen@y..., Phantom of Krankor <torcha.geo@y...> wrote:
                  > > > I have to choose all of my spells from the Domain lists.
                  However,
                  > > when
                  > > > I select my domain to pick spells from, my Available Cast is 0
                  and
                  > > my
                  > > > Known is 0. If I click on a spell anyway, I get a popup that
                  says
                  > > > "First 1 spells must come from specialty ([])" I'm not sure
                  what
                  > > that
                  > > > means.
                  > >
                  > > For level 0 you should get 0 spells cast/known. What level were
                  you
                  > > selecting? Did you define the spells in your classspell.lst for
                  > > All_Minor?
                  >
                  > It looks like I am getting the behaviour that I want for spell
                  > levels 1 and 2. At those levels, all of the domain spells
                  (regardless
                  > of the number of domains) are being added to my "Known" list.
                  > However, for spell level 3 and up, this isn't happening, and I'm
                  > getting the above popup error message.

                  I'm seeing this same behaviour with the PHB entries, too. I
                  created a cleric, bumped him up to 20th level, selected a diety and
                  two domains (good, plant). Everything is fine up to 7th level spells.
                  For 8th level domain spells, they're not automatically put in the
                  list on the right.
                  So, I think this is a real bug. :(

                  -Greg G
                • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
                    Depends on your base spell stat. For a cleric, it's WIS, so you can't
                    have 8th or 9th level spells if your WIS is 17. For divine
                    spellcasters, the KNOWN spells is almost always 0. If this is not
                    the case for your cleric (a wis of 17, I mean), could you upload your
                    pcg file to the Bugs and Features folder?

                    -Bryan
                  • Phantom of Krankor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
                      D'OH! I'm such a dumbass, I swear.