once again, yahoo loses a post.....

  • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2001
      I repeat from a few days ago 'stupid yahoo. anyways'

      Project: PCGen:Data Manipulation (PCGen:DM) has been approved at SF.
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgendm/

      This is for list file testing, data directory structure testing, and
      anything else related to list files that would require testing. Yes
      it would probably double up some of the work being done at PCGen
      itself, but this is again for testing purposes.

      I've added Bryan as an admin already, I would guess that Arcady and
      Jonas would like to be in on this (I know I would like them on
      this. :o), but I would like to know before I go randomly adding
      people. :) Anyone else interested in working on list file stuff that
      is not currently listed as a developer in PCGen, let me know, and I
      will add you.

      This also let's those of us not overly familiar with CVS to get used
      to it, so we don't commit something and accidently over-write
      something important.

      I will make a base "data" directory in CVS a "final" directory in CVS
      for the Data Directory Structure that works (not going to populate it
      yet until we work it out), a "test" directory for not-fully supported
      stuff in the list files .

      This will let us cleanup the list files so that for Bryan's 'official
      releases' everything in the list files that is supported will be in
      there, and there is a place to see what still needs support. I don't
      expect to 'release' anything for PCGen from the 'final' directory
      until we have it all working with the pcc files (pcc files loading
      other pcc files), but it gives us a place to start.

      \pcgendm\data\final
      \pcgendm\data\test

      I am not working tonight, so I will work on the CVS end of this and
      get that working, make sure that *I* can access and commit stuff
      before I start adding any more people.

      Anything I'm missing? Should I make a spot for trouble
      shooting 'just prior to release' of PCGen stuff?

      Mynex
    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
        Yay! Welcome to SourceForge. :)

        I think the trouble-shooting stuff should go in
        pcgen.sourceforge.net, since I suspect that most of it will be non-
        data-file related. Some of it will fall under the scope of your
        project, but I'd rather keep all the trouble-shooting stuff in one
        place for ease of reference. Or did you have something more specific
        in mind?

        -Bryan

      • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
          Well there are 2 types of troubleshooting;
          1. software testing of PCGen
          2. list files (and mergings of said list files)

          1. I agree, It should be kept in PCgen itself, but I offered as a
          secondary/alternative if things get too much more busy there.

          2. that should be done at PCGen:DM. As people are working on list
          files, they should be CVS'd there so they can be tested for bugs and
          whatnot problems. The pcgendm\data\final is once we have list files
          working, we can send em on over to pcgen for official releases.

          2a. The directory structure stuff can wait until the pcc within pcc
          thingy is set up and working correctly and/or PCGen searches it's
          subfolders for pcc files and/or the +/- aspect of campaigns is
          completed. I'd personally like to see all three options functional
          before changing the data directory structure around (redundancy and
          fail safe's ya know?).

          oh, and Bryan, you did note that I did make you an admin over
          there. :)
          Mynex

          > Yay! Welcome to SourceForge. :)
          >
          > I think the trouble-shooting stuff should go in
          > pcgen.sourceforge.net, since I suspect that most of it will be non-
          > data-file related. Some of it will fall under the scope of your
          > project, but I'd rather keep all the trouble-shooting stuff in one
          > place for ease of reference. Or did you have something more
          specific
          > in mind?
          >
          > -Bryan

        • Arcady
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
            > 2. list files (and mergings of said list files)
            >

            > 2. that should be done at PCGen:DM. As people are working
            > on list
            > files, they should be CVS'd there so they can be tested for
            > bugs and
            > whatnot problems. The pcgendm\data\final is once we have
            > list files
            > working, we can send em on over to pcgen for official
            > releases.

            I'm not sure of the need for this extra step.

            I thought you were creating this other place as a place to
            hash out plans for a reorg of the directory structure. Which
            is something that has to wait until PCGen supports
            subdirectoried .pcc files.

            Don't see the need to have .lst files so staggered.

            http://phone.yahoo.com
          • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
              May not be needed, but I thought to plan for it as a just in case
              scenario. Think how busy pcgen is now, now think what it will be in
              a few more months as more people use Jamis' npc generator and wonder
              wth is PCGen? Project planning. ;p At some point it *may* be a good
              idea to move all list file development to a seperate project and keep
              a 'final' and a 'test' directory seperate, so that every time PCGen
              (code) is released, there is a safe set of list files that are known
              good.

              The other 'good point' I make about doing this is simple, we can
              (mostly/hopefully) avoid the situation you had the other night with
              the lggdiety.lst and mmrace.lst files. By haveing a 'test' directory
              and a 'final' directory, this *may* make those kinds of problems be
              either minimized or disappear completely.

              Yea, at this point is definately a double up thing, but again, I was
              trying to think ahead for possible needs. And primarily for now, it
              is primarily for data directory design until PCGen is ready for it.

              oh, btw - am I adding you to PCGen:DM, if so, your unix name there is
              arcady right?

              Mynex

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                > oh, btw - am I adding you to PCGen:DM, if so, your unix
                > name there is
                > arcady right?

                Yes.

                http://phone.yahoo.com
              • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                  okay, added (maybe even correctly as well, not sure, but I have you
                  listed as a 'developer' and I *think* I got everything else right, if
                  not yell, I can fix that from work). Still screwing around with
                  getting all my CVS stuff to work... Can login, but I am RTFM to
                  figure out *how* to use winCVS and a few other things as well.... If
                  you like, feel free to add the data\final and data\test directories
                  as I need to get ready for work, and won't be able to do anything BUT
                  read about cvs IF I even have time tonight at work. *sigh*

                  oh, did you ever look at the zip with the data structure I u/l'd here?
                  Figured we could start there and hash it out before making a zillion
                  dirs in the repository.

                  Jonas, Emily, you guys going to join us over here? Anyone else
                  that's a list file nutca, er, fanatic?

                  Mynex

                • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Yup - thanks for making me an admin. :)
                    Once we get the 2a stuff you mention to work, I'll be glad to see the
                    ball rolling. Thanks for taking this on!

                    -Bryan

                  • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                      speaking of the 2a stuff, is that a FReq yet? or rather is there 3
                      FReq's since technically, they are 3 different functions? And how
                      close are we to the pcc within pcc and PCGen searching it's subdirs?
                      I know the +/- will be a bit yet (hopefully not too long though!)

                      (also note that your listed as the 'mentor' option? so get to
                      mentoring mister! *smile*)

                      Mynex

                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                        That's "master mentor" to you, sir! Say *that* three times fast. On
                        second thought, don't....

                        Put these all in one FREQ just because they are basically a unit.

                        -Bryan

                      • pjak@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 2, 2001
                          --- In pcgen@y..., mynex2k1@y... wrote:
                          > Jonas, Emily, you guys going to join us over here? Anyone else
                          > that's a list file nutca, er, fanatic?

                          Well, I intend to, but I'm kind of choked at the moment.

                          /Jonas
                        • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
                            Added to PCGen:DM. MWU-HAHAhahahahahahahaha >cough< I mean, welcome
                            aboard when you're done choking. ;p

                            Yer now the double gateway to the negative plane...
                            or is that a two way negative gateway?
                            oh hell, you're just the Black Hole now!
                            *grin*

                            Mynex