Re: i just got done reading the 6 digests for the weekend....

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      I would change the scheduling slightly. Most gaming is done on the
      weekends, so a new version by Thursday night, for Friday usage would
      be better.

    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
        That's partly why I've tried to release mid-week, so if there were
        any catastrophic problems we'd have at least a chance to correct them
        before the weekend games. I've been trying to follow a weekly
        schedule, just because we are constantly fixing bugs and I want
        everyone to have access to those fixes as quickly as possible. I used
        to release on a daily basis, so this weekly business seems downright
        slow! ;)

        My current methodology is to pick some bugs that really need to be
        fixed for the next release, and when those are done I'll release it,
        along with whatever feature/goodies anyone has thrown in. I'm
        getting some people on board who will focus on testing, which has
        been a dire need, so that should help us avoid some of the problems
        that have ocurred in the past. I'd like to release about once a
        week, but will only do so after appropriate tests have been
        performed. This may slow things down a bit, but I'm not going to tie
        myself to a specific schedule. I think everyone understands that
        this is a work-in-progress and that we're all doing our best with the
        amount of time that we have to dedicate to it.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
        > I would change the scheduling slightly. Most gaming is done on the
        > weekends, so a new version by Thursday night, for Friday usage
        would
        > be better.

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
          I posted a response at 11:00am. It posted at 01:18am. 14 HOURS
          LATER!!
        • Rich Allen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
            > That's partly why I've tried to release mid-week, so if there were
            > any catastrophic problems we'd have at least a chance to correct them
            > before the weekend games. I've been trying to follow a weekly
            > schedule, just because we are constantly fixing bugs and I want
            > everyone to have access to those fixes as quickly as possible. I used
            > to release on a daily basis, so this weekly business seems downright
            > slow! ;)

            Another project I follow is the LiteStep shell replacement. It had a CVS
            repository, but I'm not sure if it used SourceForge or not. Anyway, they
            had stable releases AND daily builds. The daily builds were fully compiled,
            up to date, and accessable for download by anyone that wanted them, with the
            caveat that the build wasn't fully tested, was unsupported and could
            possibly be unstable. The stable builds were also available to anyone, and
            contained the latest release version of the code. I don't know if this is
            possible through SourceForge, or even desireable.

            Please note that this is not a rant, a complaint, or a whine. Just a
            friendly suggestion. All accusations of ranting, whining or complaining
            will be forwarded to /dev/null. :P

            Rich Allen