Re: [BUG]Preview Tab

  • rodac@etrucker.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
      I do the it this way too :) I like it when I am messing with a bunch
      of characters and fiddling with them to balance the group out. Export
      each once and then open them up in their own browser windows. Play
      around with them and do the export again and like you said all I got
      to do is hit refresh. Sometimes I do use the preview with a char
      already manually opened. That way I can view changes on the char
      sheets togather, to see how it looks.

    • brentab@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
        Different templates may do different things but once you've found one
        that you like, why on earth would you change it?

        Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for you
        to use.

        --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
        > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to
        see
        > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
        with
        > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
        > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me to
        > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad and
        > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
        >

        > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option,
        the
        > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself,
        DM,

      • bd_92@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
          Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it but
          I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
          it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
          point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at, if
          I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
          down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this. Just
          gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
            Ahh good! Thank you oh so much! Us folks down here in the south got
            more to worry bout with hurrican season, All the football games, and
            all the snowbirds...the world and PCGen will be a happy place once
            again!

            2 weeks to go!

            > Heh - okay. I'm not sure if this will make 2.1.8, but certainly by
            > 2.1.9. I want you Floridians to be happy! :)
            >
            > -Bryan
            >
            > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
            > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to
            > see
            > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
            > with
            > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
            > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me
            > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
            and
            > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
            > >

            > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option,
            > the
            > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself,
            > DM,
            > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!
            > >

            > > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
            > > > The "Preview" menu item under File isn't an acceptable
            > > alternative?
            > > > We can bring the Preview tab back if people want it - maybe
            make
            > it
            > > > an optional tab so you can set in a preference whether you want
            > it
            > > or
            > > > not (defaulting to not since most don't seem to like it).
            Though

          • bd_92@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
              Hopefully in 2 more releases our wishes shall come true. An option to
              display the tab would be nice that would be a good comprimise or a
              way to not show it. Either or but I think I am gonna hold bryan onto
              this one and see it by 2.1.9..

            • rodac@etrucker.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                Dont make it a part of debug mode, a preferance check or something
                would be fine. I think its a waste of space, and because I use debug
                all the time, I really dont want to see it there. And now I
                understand why the unload button dont act the way I thought it was. I
                must have missed the post explaining its dual nature, but then thats
                easy here when we get those funky days when everybody and their
                grandma posts :) Its been so quite around here this weekend I
                thought my email was broke again :) hehe

              • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                  I think I'll default it to not be visible. You'd have to
                  intentionally set a preference to turn it on - so only those who
                  really wanted it would see it. It kind of breaks the character-based
                  paradigm, though I liked it myself. For the statblock.htm and
                  csheet.htm templates, which don't use any styles, the display was
                  just fine.

                  -Bryan

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                    Heh - I'll add it as an option as I've already stated, but just to be
                    clear about it... the "Preview" within PCGen *did* export the file to
                    currentPC.htm so it could be displayed... so it was pretty much
                    exporting, it's just that it would then be displayed within PCGen
                    instead of a browser. Any kind of style sheet would give it fits -
                    and most templates use style sheets of some kind - notable exceptions
                    being statblock and csheet.

                    -Bryan

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                      That's fine with me. I like it as I would change templates and then
                      export them in one fast feature. The preview pane gave me a quick
                      sampling of what to expect, nothing fancy but just what i need. An
                      option if fine just make it prevelant so I can find it.

                    • Arcady
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                        How about adding Preview Party to the File menu?

                        You'd need to then have the ability to set your default Party
                        Sheet in preferences.

                        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                      • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 4, 2001
                          You can set the default party sheet. When you do "Default Export
                          Template..." the code figures out which type of sheet you picked and
                          assigns the proper default (and, in either case, sets your default
                          template path to whatever the path was to the sheet you just picked).

                          -Lone Jedi
                          (Jason)