Re: [BUG]Preview Tab

  • rodac@etrucker.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
      I do the it this way too :) I like it when I am messing with a bunch
      of characters and fiddling with them to balance the group out. Export
      each once and then open them up in their own browser windows. Play
      around with them and do the export again and like you said all I got
      to do is hit refresh. Sometimes I do use the preview with a char
      already manually opened. That way I can view changes on the char
      sheets togather, to see how it looks.

    • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
        When I worked on parties and auto-source loading I had to modify the
        Unload button to also unload all PCs, but there were a few developer-
        types that relied on PCs staying loaded while they unloaded, then re-
        loaded, modified source LSTs. As a comprimise, I set up the Unload
        button to work differently based on whether you're in debug mode or
        not.

        Maybe we can do the same with the Preview tab. If you're indebug
        mode it's there, otherwise it's gone. I loved getting rid of the
        Preview tab since it never worked well. I'd rather not see it come
        back full-time, but as a debug option I'm all for it.

        -Lone Jedi
        (Jason)

        --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
        > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to
        see
        > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
        with
        > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
        > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me to
        > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad and
        > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
        >

        > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option,
        the
        > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself,
        DM,
      • brentab@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
          Different templates may do different things but once you've found one
          that you like, why on earth would you change it?

          Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for you
          to use.

        • bd_92@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
            Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it but
            I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
            it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
            point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at, if
            I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
            down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this. Just
            gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.

            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
              Ahh good! Thank you oh so much! Us folks down here in the south got
              more to worry bout with hurrican season, All the football games, and
              all the snowbirds...the world and PCGen will be a happy place once
              again!

              2 weeks to go!

              > Heh - okay. I'm not sure if this will make 2.1.8, but certainly by
              > 2.1.9. I want you Floridians to be happy! :)
              >
              > -Bryan
              >
              > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
              > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to
              > see
              > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
              > with
              > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
              > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me
              > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
              and
              > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
              > >

              > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option,
              > the
              > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself,
              > DM,
              > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!
              > >

              > > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
              > > > The "Preview" menu item under File isn't an acceptable
              > > alternative?
              > > > We can bring the Preview tab back if people want it - maybe
              make
              > it
              > > > an optional tab so you can set in a preference whether you want
              > it
              > > or
              > > > not (defaulting to not since most don't seem to like it).
              Though

            • bd_92@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                Hopefully in 2 more releases our wishes shall come true. An option to
                display the tab would be nice that would be a good comprimise or a
                way to not show it. Either or but I think I am gonna hold bryan onto
                this one and see it by 2.1.9..

              • rodac@etrucker.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Dont make it a part of debug mode, a preferance check or something
                  would be fine. I think its a waste of space, and because I use debug
                  all the time, I really dont want to see it there. And now I
                  understand why the unload button dont act the way I thought it was. I
                  must have missed the post explaining its dual nature, but then thats
                  easy here when we get those funky days when everybody and their
                  grandma posts :) Its been so quite around here this weekend I
                  thought my email was broke again :) hehe

                • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                    I think I'll default it to not be visible. You'd have to
                    intentionally set a preference to turn it on - so only those who
                    really wanted it would see it. It kind of breaks the character-based
                    paradigm, though I liked it myself. For the statblock.htm and
                    csheet.htm templates, which don't use any styles, the display was
                    just fine.

                    -Bryan

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                      Heh - I'll add it as an option as I've already stated, but just to be
                      clear about it... the "Preview" within PCGen *did* export the file to
                      currentPC.htm so it could be displayed... so it was pretty much
                      exporting, it's just that it would then be displayed within PCGen
                      instead of a browser. Any kind of style sheet would give it fits -
                      and most templates use style sheets of some kind - notable exceptions
                      being statblock and csheet.

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                      > Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it
                      but
                      > I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                      > it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                      > point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at,
                      if
                      > I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                      > down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this.
                      Just
                      > gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@y..., brentab@e... wrote:
                      > > Different templates may do different things but once you've found
                      > one
                      > > that you like, why on earth would you change it?
                      > >
                      > > Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for
                      > you
                      > > to use.
                      > >

                      > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                      > > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature
                      > > see
                      > > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
                      > > with
                      > > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
                      > > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows
                      me
                      > > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
                      > and
                      > > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
                      > > >

                      > > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an
                      option,
                      > > the
                      > > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!!
                      Myself,
                      > > DM,
                      > > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

                    • Chris Moyer

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                          That's fine with me. I like it as I would change templates and then
                          export them in one fast feature. The preview pane gave me a quick
                          sampling of what to expect, nothing fancy but just what i need. An
                          option if fine just make it prevelant so I can find it.

                        • Arcady
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                            How about adding Preview Party to the File menu?

                            You'd need to then have the ability to set your default Party
                            Sheet in preferences.

                            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                          • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 4, 2001
                              You can set the default party sheet. When you do "Default Export
                              Template..." the code figures out which type of sheet you picked and
                              assigns the proper default (and, in either case, sets your default
                              template path to whatever the path was to the sheet you just picked).

                              -Lone Jedi
                              (Jason)