Re: [BUG]Preview Tab

  • rodac@etrucker.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
      I do the it this way too :) I like it when I am messing with a bunch
      of characters and fiddling with them to balance the group out. Export
      each once and then open them up in their own browser windows. Play
      around with them and do the export again and like you said all I got
      to do is hit refresh. Sometimes I do use the preview with a char
      already manually opened. That way I can view changes on the char
      sheets togather, to see how it looks.

    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
        Heh - okay. I'm not sure if this will make 2.1.8, but certainly by
        2.1.9. I want you Floridians to be happy! :)

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
        > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to
        see
        > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
        with
        > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
        > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me to
        > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad and
        > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
        >

        > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option,
        the
        > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself,
        DM,
        > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!
        >

        > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
        > > The "Preview" menu item under File isn't an acceptable
        > alternative?
        > > We can bring the Preview tab back if people want it - maybe make
        it
        > > an optional tab so you can set in a preference whether you want
        it
        > or
        > > not (defaulting to not since most don't seem to like it). Though
        > > keep coming back to the always-up-to-date charactersheet as a
        > > replacement for the Preview tab....
        > >
        > > -Bryan
        > >
        > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
        > > > i did this but it wasn't too impressive..nothing like the
        preview
        > > tab
        > > > had and it's flexibility I for one would like to have that
        back.
        > > The
        > > > party view is so so as it is more for the DM than for someone
        > > running
        > > > multiple characters like i so often do.

        > > have
        > > > the tab.
        > > one
        > > > at a

        > > thought
        > > previewing
        Hell

      • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
          When I worked on parties and auto-source loading I had to modify the
          Unload button to also unload all PCs, but there were a few developer-
          types that relied on PCs staying loaded while they unloaded, then re-
          loaded, modified source LSTs. As a comprimise, I set up the Unload
          button to work differently based on whether you're in debug mode or
          not.

          Maybe we can do the same with the Preview tab. If you're indebug
          mode it's there, otherwise it's gone. I loved getting rid of the
          Preview tab since it never worked well. I'd rather not see it come
          back full-time, but as a debug option I'm all for it.

          -Lone Jedi
          (Jason)

        • brentab@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
            Different templates may do different things but once you've found one
            that you like, why on earth would you change it?

            Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for you
            to use.

          • bd_92@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
              Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it but
              I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
              it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
              point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at, if
              I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
              down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this. Just
              gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                Ahh good! Thank you oh so much! Us folks down here in the south got
                more to worry bout with hurrican season, All the football games, and
                all the snowbirds...the world and PCGen will be a happy place once
                again!

                2 weeks to go!

              • bd_92@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Hopefully in 2 more releases our wishes shall come true. An option to
                  display the tab would be nice that would be a good comprimise or a
                  way to not show it. Either or but I think I am gonna hold bryan onto
                  this one and see it by 2.1.9..

                • rodac@etrucker.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Dont make it a part of debug mode, a preferance check or something
                    would be fine. I think its a waste of space, and because I use debug
                    all the time, I really dont want to see it there. And now I
                    understand why the unload button dont act the way I thought it was. I
                    must have missed the post explaining its dual nature, but then thats
                    easy here when we get those funky days when everybody and their
                    grandma posts :) Its been so quite around here this weekend I
                    thought my email was broke again :) hehe

                  • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                      I think I'll default it to not be visible. You'd have to
                      intentionally set a preference to turn it on - so only those who
                      really wanted it would see it. It kind of breaks the character-based
                      paradigm, though I liked it myself. For the statblock.htm and
                      csheet.htm templates, which don't use any styles, the display was
                      just fine.

                      -Bryan

                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                        Heh - I'll add it as an option as I've already stated, but just to be
                        clear about it... the "Preview" within PCGen *did* export the file to
                        currentPC.htm so it could be displayed... so it was pretty much
                        exporting, it's just that it would then be displayed within PCGen
                        instead of a browser. Any kind of style sheet would give it fits -
                        and most templates use style sheets of some kind - notable exceptions
                        being statblock and csheet.

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                        > Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it
                        but
                        > I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                        > it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                        > point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at,
                        if
                        > I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                        > down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this.
                        Just
                        > gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@y..., brentab@e... wrote:
                        > > Different templates may do different things but once you've found
                        > one
                        > > that you like, why on earth would you change it?
                        > >
                        > > Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for
                        > you
                        > > to use.
                        > >

                        > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                        > > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature
                        > > see
                        > > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
                        > > with
                        > > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
                        > > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows
                        me
                        > > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
                        > and
                        > > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
                        > > >

                        > > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an
                        option,
                        > > the
                        > > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!!
                        Myself,
                        > > DM,
                        > > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

                      • Chris Moyer

                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                            That's fine with me. I like it as I would change templates and then
                            export them in one fast feature. The preview pane gave me a quick
                            sampling of what to expect, nothing fancy but just what i need. An
                            option if fine just make it prevelant so I can find it.

                          • Arcady
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                              How about adding Preview Party to the File menu?

                              You'd need to then have the ability to set your default Party
                              Sheet in preferences.

                              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                            • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 4, 2001
                                You can set the default party sheet. When you do "Default Export
                                Template..." the code figures out which type of sheet you picked and
                                assigns the proper default (and, in either case, sets your default
                                template path to whatever the path was to the sheet you just picked).

                                -Lone Jedi
                                (Jason)