Re: [BUG]Preview Tab

  • rodac@etrucker.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
      I do the it this way too :) I like it when I am messing with a bunch
      of characters and fiddling with them to balance the group out. Export
      each once and then open them up in their own browser windows. Play
      around with them and do the export again and like you said all I got
      to do is hit refresh. Sometimes I do use the preview with a char
      already manually opened. That way I can view changes on the char
      sheets togather, to see how it looks.

    • bd_92@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
        This in itself is useful but the ability to change which template in
        the same window instead of moving your mouse up and around is much
        easier. Have it in both places...

      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
          Heh - okay. I'm not sure if this will make 2.1.8, but certainly by
          2.1.9. I want you Floridians to be happy! :)

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
          > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to
          see
          > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
          with
          > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
          > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me to
          > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad and
          > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
          >

          > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option,
          the
          > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself,
          DM,
          > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!
          >

          > --- In pcgen@y..., merton_monk@y... wrote:
          > > The "Preview" menu item under File isn't an acceptable
          > alternative?
          > > We can bring the Preview tab back if people want it - maybe make
          it
          > > an optional tab so you can set in a preference whether you want
          it
          > or
          > > not (defaulting to not since most don't seem to like it). Though
          > > keep coming back to the always-up-to-date charactersheet as a
          > > replacement for the Preview tab....
          > >
          > > -Bryan
          > >
          > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
          > > > i did this but it wasn't too impressive..nothing like the
          preview
          > > tab
          > > > had and it's flexibility I for one would like to have that
          back.
          > > The
          > > > party view is so so as it is more for the DM than for someone
          > > running
          > > > multiple characters like i so often do.

          > > have
          > > > the tab.
          > > one
          > > > at a

          > > thought
          > > previewing
          Hell

        • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
            When I worked on parties and auto-source loading I had to modify the
            Unload button to also unload all PCs, but there were a few developer-
            types that relied on PCs staying loaded while they unloaded, then re-
            loaded, modified source LSTs. As a comprimise, I set up the Unload
            button to work differently based on whether you're in debug mode or
            not.

            Maybe we can do the same with the Preview tab. If you're indebug
            mode it's there, otherwise it's gone. I loved getting rid of the
            Preview tab since it never worked well. I'd rather not see it come
            back full-time, but as a debug option I'm all for it.

            -Lone Jedi
            (Jason)

          • brentab@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
              Different templates may do different things but once you've found one
              that you like, why on earth would you change it?

              Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for you
              to use.

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it but
                I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at, if
                I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this. Just
                gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Ahh good! Thank you oh so much! Us folks down here in the south got
                  more to worry bout with hurrican season, All the football games, and
                  all the snowbirds...the world and PCGen will be a happy place once
                  again!

                  2 weeks to go!

                • bd_92@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Hopefully in 2 more releases our wishes shall come true. An option to
                    display the tab would be nice that would be a good comprimise or a
                    way to not show it. Either or but I think I am gonna hold bryan onto
                    this one and see it by 2.1.9..

                  • rodac@etrucker.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Dont make it a part of debug mode, a preferance check or something
                      would be fine. I think its a waste of space, and because I use debug
                      all the time, I really dont want to see it there. And now I
                      understand why the unload button dont act the way I thought it was. I
                      must have missed the post explaining its dual nature, but then thats
                      easy here when we get those funky days when everybody and their
                      grandma posts :) Its been so quite around here this weekend I
                      thought my email was broke again :) hehe

                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                        I think I'll default it to not be visible. You'd have to
                        intentionally set a preference to turn it on - so only those who
                        really wanted it would see it. It kind of breaks the character-based
                        paradigm, though I liked it myself. For the statblock.htm and
                        csheet.htm templates, which don't use any styles, the display was
                        just fine.

                        -Bryan

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                          Heh - I'll add it as an option as I've already stated, but just to be
                          clear about it... the "Preview" within PCGen *did* export the file to
                          currentPC.htm so it could be displayed... so it was pretty much
                          exporting, it's just that it would then be displayed within PCGen
                          instead of a browser. Any kind of style sheet would give it fits -
                          and most templates use style sheets of some kind - notable exceptions
                          being statblock and csheet.

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                          > Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it
                          but
                          > I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                          > it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                          > point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at,
                          if
                          > I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                          > down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this.
                          Just
                          > gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@y..., brentab@e... wrote:
                          > > Different templates may do different things but once you've found
                          > one
                          > > that you like, why on earth would you change it?
                          > >
                          > > Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for
                          > you
                          > > to use.
                          > >

                          > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                          > > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature
                          > > see
                          > > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
                          > > with
                          > > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
                          > > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows
                          me
                          > > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
                          > and
                          > > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
                          > > >

                          > > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an
                          option,
                          > > the
                          > > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!!
                          Myself,
                          > > DM,
                          > > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

                        • Chris Moyer

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                              That's fine with me. I like it as I would change templates and then
                              export them in one fast feature. The preview pane gave me a quick
                              sampling of what to expect, nothing fancy but just what i need. An
                              option if fine just make it prevelant so I can find it.

                            • Arcady
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                                How about adding Preview Party to the File menu?

                                You'd need to then have the ability to set your default Party
                                Sheet in preferences.

                                http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                              • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 4, 2001
                                  You can set the default party sheet. When you do "Default Export
                                  Template..." the code figures out which type of sheet you picked and
                                  assigns the proper default (and, in either case, sets your default
                                  template path to whatever the path was to the sheet you just picked).

                                  -Lone Jedi
                                  (Jason)