[FREQ] Varaible cost? Variable equipment.

  • Arcady
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
      Not sure how useful this is in the genral sense.

      Essentially the ability to set a variable cost on an item.

      In one of two ways:

      Either built so you enter a range and when buying the item
      you choose how much in that range it costs.
      Or a flag that turns the cost into a field you can edit but
      with no bounds upon it.

      This would have use with some forms of treasure.

      A more prefered option would be the ability to enter in a
      custom piece of equipment for a character.

      Put an 'ADD' button on the equipment tab.
      Click the button and you fill in name, cost, and weight. Then
      use the pulldown for carried status. Perhaps also a field to
      enter it's holding capacity for custom containers as well...

      Useful enough to add? Or too much work?

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
        Would manually modifying the gold amount be too laborious? You could
        ignore the cost and manually enter the new gold amount after
        buying/selling items.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., Arcady <arcady0@y...> wrote:
        > Not sure how useful this is in the genral sense.
        >
        > Essentially the ability to set a variable cost on an item.
        >
        > In one of two ways:
        >
        > Either built so you enter a range and when buying the item
        > you choose how much in that range it costs.
        > Or a flag that turns the cost into a field you can edit but
        > with no bounds upon it.
        >
        > This would have use with some forms of treasure.
        >
        > A more prefered option would be the ability to enter in a
        > custom piece of equipment for a character.
        >
        > Put an 'ADD' button on the equipment tab.
        > Click the button and you fill in name, cost, and weight. Then
        > use the pulldown for carried status. Perhaps also a field to
        > enter it's holding capacity for custom containers as well...
        >

        > Useful enough to add? Or too much work?

        > http://phone.yahoo.com
      • Arcady
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
          That's soemwhat what this is.

          Perhaps some examples of when it would be desired?

          Gems, Jewelry, and art.

          I plan to get my players used to getting paid in gems and
          jewels (portable), which would have 'cost ranges' in the case
          of gems but possibly need custome entries in the case of
          jewels.

          It could just be put under miscillaneous notes but then
          weights would not get factored.

          Other unusual forms of treasure could pop up at any later
          point.

          One can just add things to a lst file. But it can get
          overbearing after a point.

          However this is the sort of thing I'd put on the 'real low'
          list of priorities.

          It's definately not a FREQ designed to support any given
          published book. Which in my opinion are the FREQs we need to
          focus on. It was just something I thought of that I figured I
          should get written down before I forget about it. :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2001
            Maybe this is something that should be included when PCGen handles
            item-creation. We've generally thought in terms of adding
            enchantments etc. to items, but allowing a user to modify all the
            other aspects of an item certainly should be included.