Re: [BUG]Preview Tab

  • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- In pcgen@y..., Arcady <arcady0@y...> wrote:
      > Frankly once you set your browser path I really like the way
      > Preview works now.

      I do, too :)

      > It's quick and it puts it where it counts. The only issue I
      > see with it is that it always opens into a new window, rather
      > than using the same preview window over and over.

      Re-using a browser window is OS and browser dependant, so we can't
      really do anything in PCGen that would fix things for everybody.
      Just making it work in Windows may not be so simple from Java,
      either, now that I think about it.

      Your best-bet for single-window previewing would be the obvious:
      1) Export the PC once.
      2) Manually open it in a browser.
      3) Export the PC after changes, then hit Refresh on your browser.
      4) Repeat step 3 as needed.

      Not exactly the most elegant solution, but at least you only have to
      manually launch your browser once...

      -Lone Jedi
      (Jason)
    • rodac@etrucker.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
        I do the it this way too :) I like it when I am messing with a bunch
        of characters and fiddling with them to balance the group out. Export
        each once and then open them up in their own browser windows. Play
        around with them and do the export again and like you said all I got
        to do is hit refresh. Sometimes I do use the preview with a char
        already manually opened. That way I can view changes on the char
        sheets togather, to see how it looks.

      • bd_92@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
          Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to see
          how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like with
          all the different templates. Different templates look and do
          different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me to
          pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad and i
          wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.

          Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option, the
          file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself, DM,
          and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

        • bd_92@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
            This in itself is useful but the ability to change which template in
            the same window instead of moving your mouse up and around is much
            easier. Have it in both places...

          • merton_monk@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
              Heh - okay. I'm not sure if this will make 2.1.8, but certainly by
              2.1.9. I want you Floridians to be happy! :)

              -Bryan

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                When I worked on parties and auto-source loading I had to modify the
                Unload button to also unload all PCs, but there were a few developer-
                types that relied on PCs staying loaded while they unloaded, then re-
                loaded, modified source LSTs. As a comprimise, I set up the Unload
                button to work differently based on whether you're in debug mode or
                not.

                Maybe we can do the same with the Preview tab. If you're indebug
                mode it's there, otherwise it's gone. I loved getting rid of the
                Preview tab since it never worked well. I'd rather not see it come
                back full-time, but as a debug option I'm all for it.

                -Lone Jedi
                (Jason)

              • brentab@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Different templates may do different things but once you've found one
                  that you like, why on earth would you change it?

                  Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for you
                  to use.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it but
                    I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                    it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                    point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at, if
                    I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                    down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this. Just
                    gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Ahh good! Thank you oh so much! Us folks down here in the south got
                      more to worry bout with hurrican season, All the football games, and
                      all the snowbirds...the world and PCGen will be a happy place once
                      again!

                      2 weeks to go!

                    • bd_92@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                        Hopefully in 2 more releases our wishes shall come true. An option to
                        display the tab would be nice that would be a good comprimise or a
                        way to not show it. Either or but I think I am gonna hold bryan onto
                        this one and see it by 2.1.9..

                      • rodac@etrucker.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                          Dont make it a part of debug mode, a preferance check or something
                          would be fine. I think its a waste of space, and because I use debug
                          all the time, I really dont want to see it there. And now I
                          understand why the unload button dont act the way I thought it was. I
                          must have missed the post explaining its dual nature, but then thats
                          easy here when we get those funky days when everybody and their
                          grandma posts :) Its been so quite around here this weekend I
                          thought my email was broke again :) hehe

                        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                            I think I'll default it to not be visible. You'd have to
                            intentionally set a preference to turn it on - so only those who
                            really wanted it would see it. It kind of breaks the character-based
                            paradigm, though I liked it myself. For the statblock.htm and
                            csheet.htm templates, which don't use any styles, the display was
                            just fine.

                            -Bryan

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                              Heh - I'll add it as an option as I've already stated, but just to be
                              clear about it... the "Preview" within PCGen *did* export the file to
                              currentPC.htm so it could be displayed... so it was pretty much
                              exporting, it's just that it would then be displayed within PCGen
                              instead of a browser. Any kind of style sheet would give it fits -
                              and most templates use style sheets of some kind - notable exceptions
                              being statblock and csheet.

                              -Bryan

                              --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                              > Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it
                              but
                              > I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                              > it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                              > point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at,
                              if
                              > I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                              > down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this.
                              Just
                              > gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.
                              >
                              > --- In pcgen@y..., brentab@e... wrote:
                              > > Different templates may do different things but once you've found
                              > one
                              > > that you like, why on earth would you change it?
                              > >
                              > > Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for
                              > you
                              > > to use.
                              > >

                              > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                              > > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature
                              > > see
                              > > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
                              > > with
                              > > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
                              > > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows
                              me
                              > > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
                              > and
                              > > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
                              > > >

                              > > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an
                              option,
                              > > the
                              > > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!!
                              Myself,
                              > > DM,
                              > > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

                            • Chris Moyer

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                                  That's fine with me. I like it as I would change templates and then
                                  export them in one fast feature. The preview pane gave me a quick
                                  sampling of what to expect, nothing fancy but just what i need. An
                                  option if fine just make it prevelant so I can find it.

                                • Arcady
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                                    How about adding Preview Party to the File menu?

                                    You'd need to then have the ability to set your default Party
                                    Sheet in preferences.

                                    http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                                  • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 4, 2001
                                      You can set the default party sheet. When you do "Default Export
                                      Template..." the code figures out which type of sheet you picked and
                                      assigns the proper default (and, in either case, sets your default
                                      template path to whatever the path was to the sheet you just picked).

                                      -Lone Jedi
                                      (Jason)