i just got done reading the 6 digests for the weekend....

  • rob
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      i was just thinking maby you could do 4 days of bugs/features, then 2
      of bugs, have the code then freezed, and sent for a day of testing.,
      then released. so mon-thurs is free reign, fri sat is bugs only,
      sunday is testing only and the new ver is open monday. or a similiar
      scheme. testing would be voluntary, to the point of a list of whos
      next, and the reward would be assistance/push forward of a feature of
      your own. if you really wanted thourgh testing you could build it on
      sat evening/sun morn, put it in the files of a yahoo group and let us
      regular people test. this would change as i think it would take a
      few weeks of this duty to get your freq pushed up, not that it
      shouldent be done normally. this would also allow a day of
      planning/creating for those doing any change over, ie for un
      hardcodeing things, a "planning/develment" day. also the days could
      be so that it rotates, moves a day each time, ie 4 days free, 3 days
      bugs, 1 develp/test, moves it over a day.
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        I would change the scheduling slightly. Most gaming is done on the
        weekends, so a new version by Thursday night, for Friday usage would
        be better.

      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
          That's partly why I've tried to release mid-week, so if there were
          any catastrophic problems we'd have at least a chance to correct them
          before the weekend games. I've been trying to follow a weekly
          schedule, just because we are constantly fixing bugs and I want
          everyone to have access to those fixes as quickly as possible. I used
          to release on a daily basis, so this weekly business seems downright
          slow! ;)

          My current methodology is to pick some bugs that really need to be
          fixed for the next release, and when those are done I'll release it,
          along with whatever feature/goodies anyone has thrown in. I'm
          getting some people on board who will focus on testing, which has
          been a dire need, so that should help us avoid some of the problems
          that have ocurred in the past. I'd like to release about once a
          week, but will only do so after appropriate tests have been
          performed. This may slow things down a bit, but I'm not going to tie
          myself to a specific schedule. I think everyone understands that
          this is a work-in-progress and that we're all doing our best with the
          amount of time that we have to dedicate to it.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Gary" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
          > I would change the scheduling slightly. Most gaming is done on the
          > weekends, so a new version by Thursday night, for Friday usage
          would
          > be better.

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
            I posted a response at 11:00am. It posted at 01:18am. 14 HOURS
            LATER!!
          • Rich Allen
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
              > That's partly why I've tried to release mid-week, so if there were
              > any catastrophic problems we'd have at least a chance to correct them
              > before the weekend games. I've been trying to follow a weekly
              > schedule, just because we are constantly fixing bugs and I want
              > everyone to have access to those fixes as quickly as possible. I used
              > to release on a daily basis, so this weekly business seems downright
              > slow! ;)

              Another project I follow is the LiteStep shell replacement. It had a CVS
              repository, but I'm not sure if it used SourceForge or not. Anyway, they
              had stable releases AND daily builds. The daily builds were fully compiled,
              up to date, and accessable for download by anyone that wanted them, with the
              caveat that the build wasn't fully tested, was unsupported and could
              possibly be unstable. The stable builds were also available to anyone, and
              contained the latest release version of the code. I don't know if this is
              possible through SourceForge, or even desireable.

              Please note that this is not a rant, a complaint, or a whine. Just a
              friendly suggestion. All accusations of ranting, whining or complaining
              will be forwarded to /dev/null. :P

              Rich Allen