[BUG]Preview Tab

  • bd_92@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 30, 2001
      I just updated to the latest of version of PCGEN 2.1.7 (or whatever
      the latest one is) and for some odd reason the preview tab has
      disapeared from the tab lists..i tried reinstalling and got the same
      thing. I cannot preview my character in the browser provided nor can
      i export it to a browser by anything besides the file menu.

      any ideas? am i doing something wrong??
    • Scott Bartel
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 30, 2001
        Yes it is now under file rather than a Tab of it's own...

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 30, 2001
          why?? I liked the preview in it's own browser window tab. I thought
          by picking my own different character sheet template and previewing
          it was a much better option than what they did right now. Hell do
          both but gimme my preview tab!!

          --- In pcgen@y..., Scott Bartel <slb@a...> wrote:
          > Yes it is now under file rather than a Tab of it's own...
          >

          > At 03:34 AM 1/10/01 +0000, you wrote:
          > >I just updated to the latest of version of PCGEN 2.1.7 (or whatever
          > >the latest one is) and for some odd reason the preview tab has
          > >disapeared from the tab lists..i tried reinstalling and got the
          same
          > >thing. I cannot preview my character in the browser provided nor
          can
          > >i export it to a browser by anything besides the file menu.
          > >

          > >any ideas? am i doing something wrong??

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Scott Bartel
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 30, 2001
            You can still preview it in your browser, it now just doesn't have the tab.
            In fact you can now preview a whole party in one go rather than one at a
            time. The functionality and user wise it is far better.

            floppy

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 30, 2001
              i did this but it wasn't too impressive..nothing like the preview tab
              had and it's flexibility I for one would like to have that back. The
              party view is so so as it is more for the DM than for someone running
              multiple characters like i so often do.

            • merton_monk@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                The "Preview" menu item under File isn't an acceptable alternative?
                We can bring the Preview tab back if people want it - maybe make it
                an optional tab so you can set in a preference whether you want it or
                not (defaulting to not since most don't seem to like it). Though I
                keep coming back to the always-up-to-date charactersheet as a
                replacement for the Preview tab....

                -Bryan

                --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                > i did this but it wasn't too impressive..nothing like the preview
                tab
                > had and it's flexibility I for one would like to have that back.
                The
                > party view is so so as it is more for the DM than for someone
                running
                > multiple characters like i so often do.
                >
                > --- In pcgen@y..., Scott Bartel <slb@a...> wrote:
                > > You can still preview it in your browser, it now just doesn't
                have
                > the tab.
                > > In fact you can now preview a whole party in one go rather than
                one
                > at a
                > > time. The functionality and user wise it is far better.
                > >
                > > floppy
                > >

                > > At 03:46 AM 1/10/01 +0000, you wrote:
                > > >why?? I liked the preview in it's own browser window tab. I
                thought
                > > >by picking my own different character sheet template and
                previewing
                > > >it was a much better option than what they did right now. Hell do
                > > >both but gimme my preview tab!!

              • Arcady
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Frankly once you set your browser path I really like the way
                  Preview works now.

                  It's quick and it puts it where it counts. The only issue I
                  see with it is that it always opens into a new window, rather
                  than using the same preview window over and over.

                  http://phone.yahoo.com
                • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                    --- In pcgen@y..., Arcady <arcady0@y...> wrote:
                    > Frankly once you set your browser path I really like the way
                    > Preview works now.

                    I do, too :)

                    > It's quick and it puts it where it counts. The only issue I
                    > see with it is that it always opens into a new window, rather
                    > than using the same preview window over and over.

                    Re-using a browser window is OS and browser dependant, so we can't
                    really do anything in PCGen that would fix things for everybody.
                    Just making it work in Windows may not be so simple from Java,
                    either, now that I think about it.

                    Your best-bet for single-window previewing would be the obvious:
                    1) Export the PC once.
                    2) Manually open it in a browser.
                    3) Export the PC after changes, then hit Refresh on your browser.
                    4) Repeat step 3 as needed.

                    Not exactly the most elegant solution, but at least you only have to
                    manually launch your browser once...

                    -Lone Jedi
                    (Jason)
                  • rodac@etrucker.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                      I do the it this way too :) I like it when I am messing with a bunch
                      of characters and fiddling with them to balance the group out. Export
                      each once and then open them up in their own browser windows. Play
                      around with them and do the export again and like you said all I got
                      to do is hit refresh. Sometimes I do use the preview with a char
                      already manually opened. That way I can view changes on the char
                      sheets togather, to see how it looks.

                    • bd_92@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                        Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature to see
                        how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like with
                        all the different templates. Different templates look and do
                        different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows me to
                        pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad and i
                        wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.

                        Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an option, the
                        file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!! Myself, DM,
                        and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                          This in itself is useful but the ability to change which template in
                          the same window instead of moving your mouse up and around is much
                          easier. Have it in both places...

                        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                            Heh - okay. I'm not sure if this will make 2.1.8, but certainly by
                            2.1.9. I want you Floridians to be happy! :)

                            -Bryan

                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                              When I worked on parties and auto-source loading I had to modify the
                              Unload button to also unload all PCs, but there were a few developer-
                              types that relied on PCs staying loaded while they unloaded, then re-
                              loaded, modified source LSTs. As a comprimise, I set up the Unload
                              button to work differently based on whether you're in debug mode or
                              not.

                              Maybe we can do the same with the Preview tab. If you're indebug
                              mode it's there, otherwise it's gone. I loved getting rid of the
                              Preview tab since it never worked well. I'd rather not see it come
                              back full-time, but as a debug option I'm all for it.

                              -Lone Jedi
                              (Jason)

                            • brentab@earthlink.net
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                                Different templates may do different things but once you've found one
                                that you like, why on earth would you change it?

                                Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for you
                                to use.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                                  Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it but
                                  I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                                  it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                                  point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at, if
                                  I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                                  down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this. Just
                                  gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                                    Ahh good! Thank you oh so much! Us folks down here in the south got
                                    more to worry bout with hurrican season, All the football games, and
                                    all the snowbirds...the world and PCGen will be a happy place once
                                    again!

                                    2 weeks to go!

                                  • bd_92@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                                      Hopefully in 2 more releases our wishes shall come true. An option to
                                      display the tab would be nice that would be a good comprimise or a
                                      way to not show it. Either or but I think I am gonna hold bryan onto
                                      this one and see it by 2.1.9..

                                    • rodac@etrucker.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 1, 2001
                                        Dont make it a part of debug mode, a preferance check or something
                                        would be fine. I think its a waste of space, and because I use debug
                                        all the time, I really dont want to see it there. And now I
                                        understand why the unload button dont act the way I thought it was. I
                                        must have missed the post explaining its dual nature, but then thats
                                        easy here when we get those funky days when everybody and their
                                        grandma posts :) Its been so quite around here this weekend I
                                        thought my email was broke again :) hehe

                                      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                                          I think I'll default it to not be visible. You'd have to
                                          intentionally set a preference to turn it on - so only those who
                                          really wanted it would see it. It kind of breaks the character-based
                                          paradigm, though I liked it myself. For the statblock.htm and
                                          csheet.htm templates, which don't use any styles, the display was
                                          just fine.

                                          -Bryan

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 2, 2001
                                            Heh - I'll add it as an option as I've already stated, but just to be
                                            clear about it... the "Preview" within PCGen *did* export the file to
                                            currentPC.htm so it could be displayed... so it was pretty much
                                            exporting, it's just that it would then be displayed within PCGen
                                            instead of a browser. Any kind of style sheet would give it fits -
                                            and most templates use style sheets of some kind - notable exceptions
                                            being statblock and csheet.

                                            -Bryan

                                            --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                                            > Yes i know that was a nice lil feature to automatically export it
                                            but
                                            > I had grown to like changing the template on the fly and looking at
                                            > it in the PCGen browser window before epxorting. That's the whole
                                            > point of the preview tab to show what I am going to be looking at,
                                            if
                                            > I don't like the template I choose another one in the window drop
                                            > down. I don't like having to click around everywhere to do this.
                                            Just
                                            > gimme the tab and a happy camper I will be.
                                            >
                                            > --- In pcgen@y..., brentab@e... wrote:
                                            > > Different templates may do different things but once you've found
                                            > one
                                            > > that you like, why on earth would you change it?
                                            > >
                                            > > Besides, last I looked the Export popup had a Template button for
                                            > you
                                            > > to use.
                                            > >

                                            > > --- In pcgen@y..., bd_92@y... wrote:
                                            > > > Give it to me as an option! Please Merton! I use this feature
                                            > > see
                                            > > > how my character sheet will turn out and what it will look like
                                            > > with
                                            > > > all the different templates. Different templates look and do
                                            > > > different things as you know, but with the preview tab allows
                                            me
                                            > > > pick and choose the right one for the job. I thought I went mad
                                            > and
                                            > > > wasn't seeing something, but it was ripped out.
                                            > > >

                                            > > > Powers that be allow us to have this back or put it as an
                                            option,
                                            > > the
                                            > > > file->preview is a let down to the almighty preview tab!!
                                            Myself,
                                            > > DM,
                                            > > > and fellow gamers in Florida agree!!

                                          • Chris Moyer

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                                                That's fine with me. I like it as I would change templates and then
                                                export them in one fast feature. The preview pane gave me a quick
                                                sampling of what to expect, nothing fancy but just what i need. An
                                                option if fine just make it prevelant so I can find it.

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 3, 2001
                                                  How about adding Preview Party to the File menu?

                                                  You'd need to then have the ability to set your default Party
                                                  Sheet in preferences.

                                                  http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
                                                • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 4, 2001
                                                    You can set the default party sheet. When you do "Default Export
                                                    Template..." the code figures out which type of sheet you picked and
                                                    assigns the proper default (and, in either case, sets your default
                                                    template path to whatever the path was to the sheet you just picked).

                                                    -Lone Jedi
                                                    (Jason)