Adding Class abilities via an item

  • Kevin Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2014
      Our GM has given each party member a custom "artifact" item in the Jade Regent campaign we're going through. I was able to code up the initial pass of the item (it had only a couple of abilities when I first got it), but am having trouble figuring out how to add the new abilities to the item.

      Upping the ranged to-hit and to-damage is easy enough, but not sure how to grant my character the Favored Terrain (Forest) ability. I'm playing a Ranger (Infiltrator/Skirmisher combo) and normally don't gain Favored Terrains.

      I found the skirmisher class to see how it turns off the Favored Terrain and tried to use that as the baseline. So, I copied the two variables that seem to set the variables to 0 and gave them a bonus of 1 in the item.

      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Favored Terrain|1    BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Favored Terrain Bonus|1

      Saving the item, reloading the sources and character and looking at the Summary page shows the need to pick a Favored Terrain. Going to the Class Abilities Tab I see that I should be able to select 1, but they are all red (don't qualify). Is there something else I need to add to the item to get this to work?
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2014
        Hi Kevin,

        I'll be answering your question. But please do note that our LST Editing questions belong on the List File Help Group.

        You just want the actual Favored Terrain (Forest) ability and Bonus granted from an item?

        Place this on the item in question:
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Equipment ~ Favored Terrain (Forest)
        BONUS:VAR|FavoredTerrainForest|2 or 4, or whatever the bonus should be.

        If you're using skirmisher code, then you're completely disabling the class versions. If you wanted to grant that straight as a class ability or something similar, use
        ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Favored Terrain ~ Forest|Favored Terrain Bonus ~ Forest

        Cheers,
        Andrew