DnD Next

  • thaldorf
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 12, 2014
      I am working in a homebrew campaign set for the next version of the WotC Dungeons and Dragons, I really doubt that we have permissions to do that publicly, but there is nothing improper if I do it for myself.

      My question is, there is a bonus called "Proficiency Bonus" or PB that is applied to combat and certain checks and skills, it starts with 2 in level one up to level four and increases by one each four levels. I have been trying to make a formula that compute the  correct PB for all levels and cannot figured it out.

      So far I tried (TL+5)/4 rounded down, but it does not applies for the lower levels.

      Thanks

    • Doug Limmer

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 12, 2014
          The basic rules for 5e have been released as a free PDF.
          I didn't take notice of the licence details, but given it is freely available information, it may be possible to add to PCGen?
          (When, of course, depends on the availability of the wonderful developers!)

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12, 2014
                Hi Chris,

                That was my first thought but then I verified the progression. The PB doesn’t increase to +3 until 5th level. 2+(TL/4) would reach +3 at 4th.

                Doug has it right.

                Maredudd

                On Jul 12, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Barak barako@... [pcgen] <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > 2+(TL/4) ?
                >
                > On Jul 12, 2014 9:47 AM, "thaldorf@... [pcgen]" <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >
                > I am working in a homebrew campaign set for the next version of the WotC Dungeons and Dragons, I really doubt that we have permissions to do that publicly, but there is nothing improper if I do it for myself.
                >
                > My question is, there is a bonus called "Proficiency Bonus" or PB that is applied to combat and certain checks and skills, it starts with 2 in level one up to level four and increases by one each four levels. I have been trying to make a formula that compute the correct PB for all levels and cannot figured it out.
                >
                > So far I tried (TL+5)/4 rounded down, but it does not applies for the lower levels.
                >
                > Thanks

              • Barak
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12, 2014

                  Ah!  Mis-interpreted... thought he meant +3 at 4th.  My bad.  Move along... nothing to see here. :)

                  On Jul 12, 2014 12:22 PM, "Eric C Smith maredudd@... [pcgen]" <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  Hi Chris,

                  That was my first thought but then I verified the progression. The PB doesn’t increase to +3 until 5th level. 2+(TL/4) would reach +3 at 4th.

                  Doug has it right.

                  Maredudd

                  On Jul 12, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Barak barako@... [pcgen] <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > 2+(TL/4)   ?
                  >
                  > On Jul 12, 2014 9:47 AM, "thaldorf@... [pcgen]" <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  >
                  > I am working in a homebrew campaign set for the next version of the WotC Dungeons and Dragons, I really doubt that we have permissions to do that publicly, but there is nothing improper if I do it for myself.
                  >
                  > My question is, there is a bonus called "Proficiency Bonus" or PB that is applied to combat and certain checks and skills, it starts with 2 in level one up to level four and increases by one each four levels. I have been trying to make a formula that compute the  correct PB for all levels and cannot figured it out.
                  >
                  > So far I tried (TL+5)/4 rounded down, but it does not applies for the lower levels.
                  >
                  > Thanks

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      pcgen-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      pcgen-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                • David Ray
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 12, 2014
                    If you use .24(TL)+1.47 and round to the nearest whole number you should get the correct progression.

                    That was my first thought but then I verified the progression. The PB doesn't increase to +3 until 5th level. 2+(TL/4) would reach +3 at 4th.

                    Doug has it right.

                    Maredudd

                    On Jul 12, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Barak barako@... [pcgen] <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > 2+(TL/4) ?
                    >
                    > On Jul 12, 2014 9:47 AM, "thaldorf@... [pcgen]" <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    >
                    > I am working in a homebrew campaign set for the next version of the WotC Dungeons and Dragons, I really doubt that we have permissions to do that publicly, but there is nothing improper if I do it for myself.
                    >
                    > My question is, there is a bonus called "Proficiency Bonus" or PB that is applied to combat and certain checks and skills, it starts with 2 in level one up to level four and increases by one each four levels. I have been trying to make a formula that compute the correct PB for all levels and cannot figured it out.
                    >
                    > So far I tried (TL+5)/4 rounded down, but it does not applies for the lower levels.
                    >
                    > Thanks

                    ------------------------------------

                    Yahoo Groups Links
                  • thaldorf
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 12, 2014
                      Thanks for your answers, the previous solution (TL+7)/4 actually works fine, it gives the wanted results since the progression starts in 2 in level one and increases by one in levels 5, 9, 13, and 17.

                      There is a loooot of work to do to make a viable character, but I am working hard toward it, I will publish later if I have any success.

                      Thank you all again
                    • thaldorf
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 22, 2014
                        Will any of you monkeys in charge have plans for the new DnD 5.0 version? Do we have permissions to do so? Is there an assembling team working on the data? I would appreciate if you clarify our present status regarding this.thaldorf

                      • Eric C Smith
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 22, 2014
                          Hi Thaldorf

                          PCGen does not have permission to include any D&D Next material in its distribution.

                          I believe WotC has announced that they will announce its plans for its D&D Next equivalent to the OGL/GSL sometime next year and until they do we do not know if permissions will even be possible.

                          That said, the Data Monkey’s here, and more specifically on the PCGen LST File Help group, can help provide some guidance to any interested users on how to code the material up themselves.

                          Maredudd

                          On Aug 22, 2014, at 5:12 PM, thaldorf@... [pcgen] <pcgen@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          > Will any of you monkeys in charge have plans for the new DnD 5.0 version? Do we have permissions to do so? Is there an assembling team working on the data? I would appreciate if you clarify our present status regarding this.thaldorf

                        • Bahamut
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 22, 2014
                            Hi mates,

                            I look forward to hearing what the end result of that will be. I already
                            made the basic set for some friends of mine.

                            Best,

                            --
                            ~BD
                            https://github.com/BahamutDragon/pcgen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 22, 2014
                              Thank you Eric for your answers, coding is a lonely job, and it is taking me more time than expected, but it seems that if I want something done, I better do it myself. Oh well, if there no other option, solo code is the way.
                            • Henk Slaaf
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 23, 2014

                                Depending in where you are in the world, you could legally share your homebrew with individual collaborators. It need not be totally solo...

                                IANAL, etc.

                                Henk