slow initial loading

  • Ricky Hunt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4 5:53 PM
      Most of the time, the initial loading screen goes by in a matter of seconds. Sometimes, though, it takes minutes to load, usually 3-5 minutes, but I have seen 30 once. Stopping and starting over doesn't help. Once it spends its time long loading though, things go back to normal for a while. Then at sometime in the random future, it will happen again.

      I am using PCGen 6.02.1 with a 64 bit Win 7 computer with 6 GB RAM. I am on Java version 7.0.250.

      Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this?

    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4 6:27 PM
        Hi Ricky,

        I've sent hat but it is usually when I am running another disk intensive process like a full system virus scan or the like. Could that be the case for you? It may also be an issue if you have (or have had) lots of other processes running and might have low or fragmented free memory.

        Cheers,
        James.

        On 5/07/2014 10:53 AM Ricky Hunt hunt59@... [pcgen] wrote
        Most of the time, the initial loading screen goes by in a matter of seconds. Sometimes, though, it takes minutes to load, usually 3-5 minutes, but I have seen 30 once. Stopping and starting over doesn't help. Once it spends its time long loading though, things go back to normal for a while. Then at sometime in the random future, it will happen again.

        I am using PCGen 6.02.1 with a 64 bit Win 7 computer with 6 GB RAM. I am on Java version 7.0.250.

        Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this?

      • Doug Limmer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 7:02 PM
          One possibility:

          Did you reboot between "things go back to normal" and "sometime in the random future"?  Or upgrade Java, or upgrade PCGen, or reinitialize something?

          Java programs often start up slowly the first time, as it compiles files for local use.  Afterwards, it'll start up quickly.  When exactly Java decides it needs to recompile, though, I'm not sure.

          DDS/DL