Pathfinder "Rise of the Runelords" Question

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 11 , May 29, 2014
      Hi, everyone,

      My group is about to start the Pathfinder "Rise of the Rune Lords" adventure path (anniversary edition). I noticed two source files:

      Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide (conversion)
      Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide Anniversary Edition

      Do I need both? The second doesn't seem to be able to load unless one loads the first.

      Thanks,
      Allen

        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2014
          Please investigate. When I load 6.3.00 in Pathfinder mode a source is
          offered with that name.

          *If* I recall correctly, "Rise of the Runelords" was originally a 3.5
          adventure path, but was converted to Pathfinder in the Anniversary Edition.
          So I expect (hope) that the entire "Rise of the Runelords" in Pathfinder
          mode is actually the Anniversary Edition.

          Many thanks,
          Allen

          Re: Pathfinder "Rise of the Runelords" Question
          Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
          "Andrew" Drew0500
          Hi,

          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2014
            Interesting. I have a tracker tied to the NFD version of AE. And I have
            an "AE" in the main repo that isn't tied to the tracker. And yes, Rise
            of the Runelords is a 3.5 version, we made a Conversion version, and AE
            is the actual Pathfinder version. (Once AE is made, we will remove the
            conversion we made).

            Both contain the same materials, for the most part. I know the real AE
            version is the entire AP line with the Pathfinder update. The issue, is
            one of them is not actually AE but a short book that was mistakenly
            called AE.

            That is about all I can really dive into for now. I have four APA
            formatted 1-2 page papers to write today, 3 chapters in a business book,
            and then further study for my Compti A+ exam.

            Cheers,
            Andrew

            On 5/30/2014 6:55 AM, Allen Cohn allen@... [pcgen] wrote:
            > Please investigate. When I load 6.3.00 in Pathfinder mode a source is
            > offered with that name.
            >
            > *If* I recall correctly, "Rise of the Runelords" was originally a 3.5
            > adventure path, but was converted to Pathfinder in the Anniversary Edition.
            > So I expect (hope) that the entire "Rise of the Runelords" in Pathfinder
            > mode is actually the Anniversary Edition.
            >
            > Many thanks,
            > Allen
            >

            > Re: Pathfinder "Rise of the Runelords" Question
            > Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
            > "Andrew" Drew0500
            > Hi,
            >
            > I'd have to investigate but off the top of my head Anniversary edition
            > doesn't exist in our release.
            >
            > -Andrew

            > Yahoo Groups Links

          • papa_drb
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2014
              There are three copies of Rise of the Runelords Players Guide, looking at the SVN repository.

              1) Under 35e, there is the original 3.5E rules
              2) Under Paizo, there is the original that was converted to Pathfinder rules
              3) Under Paizo, there is the Anniversary Addition (AE) using Pathfinder rules.

              To load (2) above, the only data set besides "core" and whatever else of Paizo you load, is the "Rise of the Runelords Players Guide".

              To load (3) above you have to load (2) above and then the AE players guide.

              Both 2 and 3 give the same 4 errors:
              C:\PCGen603>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -Xincgc pcgen.jar
              11:42:09.621 INFO main Main:145 Starting PCGen v6.03.00
              11:42:10.179 INFO main LanguageBundle:131 Initialising language bundle with locale en_US.
              11:43:14.820 INFO Thread-6 SourceFileLoader:522 Loading game Pathfinder_RPG and sources [-- Always load --, Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide (Conv
              ersion)].
              11:43:20.790 LSTERROR Thread-6 LstObjectFileLoader:622 file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/players_guide/rotr
              pg_abilities_class.lst (8): PObject CATEGORY=Special Ability|Companion ~ Hunter's Bond not found; .MOD skipped.
              11:43:31.811 SEVERE Thread-6 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill JUMP
              11:43:31.812 SEVERE Thread-6 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:43:31.813 SEVERE Thread-6 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill LISTEN
              11:43:31.814 SEVERE Thread-6 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:43:31.817 SEVERE Thread-6 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill SPOT
              11:43:31.818 SEVERE Thread-6 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:43:31.821 SEVERE Thread-6 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill TUMBLE
              11:43:31.822 SEVERE Thread-6 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:43:54.47 INFO Thread-8 SourceFileLoader:522 Loading game Pathfinder_RPG and sources [-- Always load --, Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide (Conve
              rsion), Rise of the Runelords Player's Guide Anniversary Edition].
              11:43:58.670 LSTERROR Thread-8 LstObjectFileLoader:622 file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/players_guide/rotr
              pg_abilities_class.lst (8): PObject CATEGORY=Special Ability|Companion ~ Hunter's Bond not found; .MOD skipped.
              11:44:08.967 SEVERE Thread-8 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill JUMP
              11:44:08.968 SEVERE Thread-8 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:44:08.969 SEVERE Thread-8 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill LISTEN
              11:44:08.971 SEVERE Thread-8 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:44:08.973 SEVERE Thread-8 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill SPOT
              11:44:08.974 SEVERE Thread-8 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
              11:44:08.977 SEVERE Thread-8 CDOMFactory:124 Unconstructed Reference: Skill TUMBLE
              11:44:08.979 SEVERE Thread-8 TrackingReferenceContext:149   Was used in file:/C:/PCGen603/data/pathfinder/paizo/adventure_path/rise_of_the_runelords/p
              layers_guide/rotrpg_feats.lst in tokens: [plugin.lsttokens.BonusLst]
            • rmcd94
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5, 2014
                http://i.imgur.com/Prnacjm.png

                 I see they need a source file, but I do not see the source file they need.

              • David R. Bender
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2014
                  Looks like a problem. Please open a data Jira (jira.pcgen.org)

                  -- david
                  Papa.DRB

                  My better half and me (jpg)
                  Word of the Day (gif)

                  For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)
                  On 2014-07-05 Sat 06:09 PM, r.mcd@... [pcgen] wrote:
                  http://i.imgur.com/Prnacjm.png

                   I see they need a source file, but I do not see the source file they need.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2014
                    I'm in process of replacing those. They are old and outdated using a 3.5 to pathfinder conversion.

                    A little patience and I'll have that done this weekend.

                    Thanks,
                    Andrew

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 12, 2014
                      No worries, ain't a problem. Is there a list of when Paizo sources are going to get added, etc? A calendar or something
                    • David R. Bender

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014

                          It's hard to give any concrete deadlines for books and program improvements, since everything is at the speed of the volunteer and whatever takes their fancy. Since this is a hobby for most people, they dedicate whatever they want, when they want and how they want (Within reason and project guidelines of course).

                          Next is expectations about books. I know, most everyone (who isn't a coder themselves nor know the level of code detail involved) wants every single possible feature and angle covered - from Kits for the NPCs, random treasure, fully featured monsters, skill, save & combat bonuses listed and even all the possible temporary bonuses. Problem being that a single person has to devote a lot of time to get everything in there. In fact, adding those little extra features (that are nice to have) from my personal experience seems to take as much, if not more, time as getting all the basics in place. Reason for this huge time commitment, you have to read every line of every feat, template, ability to seek out the key words to tell you whether something is going to be a Temp Bonus, or a Conditional Bonus. (I've often felt coding a book should be a two person job, since each file type has different nuances)

                          That is why I could pump out a bunch of books, but not have any changes on the character sheet, everything would still be present. Copy the text, alter to use the correct code syntax, and instant book. Problem is instant book will get complaints cause nothing alters on the sheet - the main reason you wanted the book in the first place.

                          Now, we have the various levels of book expectations:
                          Some sources I'll make an exception and put out an alpha for people to give feedback while it is in progress (This is not used often as it causes more headaches then it's worth - many people report "Bugs" since what they want hasn't been implemented yet and they don't know what is or isn't available).
                          ALPHA - incomplete, likely to contain bugs. Anything under development is considered "ALPHA"

                          Other times, I'll push a book out with basics, and then end up with constant "bug" reports for extra features to be included.
                          Most of our Betas (released) sets fall in the Beta realm - loads without errors, has most solid foundation features (Bonuses to permanent skills, saves, and attacks), likely missing extras like Temp Bonuses and Kits.
                          Thus you'll see several newer books listed as 'BETA'.

                          Sometimes we'll put out a fully featured book.
                          These are the complete deal, depending on the size, they may be deemed "Release" worthy. These are supposed to be BUG free, feature complete books.

                           As you can imagine the level of "perfection" determines the length it takes for a book to be created.
                          Figure anywhere from 4 to 20 hours for a basic book; 20 to 40 hours for a complete book. If it's a core book, add another 10 hours. Most people dedicate about 2 hours a week. That means a small book may only take two weeks, and an intense book may take 20 to 30 weeks. Factor in that not every week is spent on a pcgen book, for whatever reason, Life happens, etc.

                          Now, if you need a book there are a couple of things you can do:
                          1a) If your book is listed in a tracker, you can vote for it.
                          1b) If it's not listed you can request it.
                          2) If it is something you want for a game in the near future, you can make an inquiry.
                          Please note: Whenever I get a laundry list of books people want, then it just becomes a wish list and shows me that there isn't a particular need, just a desire to have it included. (I've seen people basically hand the list of Paizo upcoming releases or recent releases and say "All those".). Again, the message to me as a developer is, they just want all the books, but don't seem to have a pressing need for anyone in particular. (Does that make sense?)

                          Problem with volunteer and free, is no deadlines, and being at the mercy of the people who do it. Hence why I push people to learn how to code books, and share with the project so we all benefit (which is the open source model anyways). Dedicate a month to learn and you'll be able to handle most any file and do it to achieve what you want. It won't be a pretty top-notch powerful Chimp Set status, but we don't always need pro, we often just need something that works to make that one character we're currently playing.

                          If you want to know a hard truth, for me to write a reply to most messages takes time away from me fixing reported bugs, implementing a new feature, or creating one of the many requested books. It's all about priorities though. It's a rather vicious cycle if you think about it. Without messages we don't know anything is broken, if we don't reply to people then we have bad customer service, and if we aren't making books, then nothing new happens. :)

                          Don't let the above stop you from sending messages, the point of that is to bring home the point that everything in the project has a time cost, and higher priority items get more time allocated to them.

                          I will take pity on people if they have a desperate need for something, however that comes with a price, you only get the absolute minimum required to support the class, feat or spell you desperately need, nothing more. After all, I'm putting your request ahead of countless other projects that have a demand on my time.

                          If you need something, ask. The worst you can get is "No." from us. I've learned the lurkers usually will contact people and help them out. Chances are a homebrewer has what you want, but never shared with the project, since the homebrew is only built to handle what they personally needed and not up to our standards (Doesn't mean we won't accept it).

                          I hope that answers the question in as clearly understood terms as possible.  Now to tackle a couple of bugs. ;-)

                          Cheers,
                          Andrew

                          On 7/12/2014 12:44 PM, 'David R. Bender' Papa.DRB@... [pcgen] wrote:
                          No. However you can look at NEWSOURCE at jira.pcgen.org to see the status of various sources.