Shield Bash and equipping a shield

  • efm52511
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 13, 2014
      I'm having a problem with the Shieldbash item and equipping a shield in the shield slot as a Two Weapon Fighting sword and board Paladin. If I equip the Shieldbash item in my secondary hand, adding the Shieldbash attack to my character sheet as an attack, I cannot equip my shield into the Shield Slot. The only options are Carried, uncarried and my bags.

      If I equip my shield in the secondary hand slot, then it just shows up as a normal shield with no attack assigned to it.

      I used to be able to do this. When I upgraded to the most recent PCGen (6.02) I lost the ability to. It may have been bugged in the most recent version.

    • richwneal
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2014
        Same problem here except when I add a spiked shield it shows details of the off-hand attack, but the attack modifier is calculated incorrectly (seems to be missing off the 1/2 str modifier) and so is the damage (is incorrectly including the full str modifier).

        Using the pathfinder ruleset.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2014
          Please open a JIRA. When I have time, I'll investigate it.

          Though the heart of the problem is Shields are treated as Shields, and in some cases (optionally) Weapons. PCGen only recognizes one use, not multiple.

          I'll try to reconcile the issue, but give as much details, and when I can, I'll see what solution(s) are feasible.

          Cheers,
          Andrew

          On 5/1/2014 9:55 AM, rwneal@... wrote:
          Same problem here except when I add a spiked shield it shows details of the off-hand attack, but the attack modifier is calculated incorrectly (seems to be missing off the 1/2 str modifier) and so is the damage (is incorrectly including the full str modifier).

          Using the pathfinder ruleset.

        • dave_the_ferret
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2014
            How would it work if you created a weapon called 'shield' that gave a bonus to AC?
            I guess then it would have to fudge any penalties for using two 'weapons' ...
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2014
              Well, let's look at the implications.

              Weapons have a Non-Proficient Penalty if you don't have a proficiency
              Shields have a Armor Check penalty if you don't have a proficiency.

              The issue is, which Proficiency is easier to mimic or control?

              If you set up the shield to be a de facto weapon, then everything that is based off of a Shield Proficiency is no longer accessible.

              In the long term, it may well come done to making a shield a weapon (Proficiency) and then doing some odd LST coding to compensate. I don't know though.

              Cheers,
              Andrew