Icrease the alloted memory

  • tsioulak
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
      How can i increase the amount of memory PCGen uses? I found something about a pcgen.bat file in the documentetion but i can't find the file.
      Can anyone help me with that in order to make PCGen go faster?
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
        There's a file called pcgen_low_mem.bat in the same directory as the pcgen.jar file.

        The file has instructions in it for what to do.  Open it in a text editor and follow the instructions.

        andrew

        On 28 March 2014 13:23, <tsioulak@...> wrote:

        How can i increase the amount of memory PCGen uses? I found something about a pcgen.bat file in the documentetion but i can't find the file.
        Can anyone help me with that in order to make PCGen go faster?

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
          pcgen_low_mem.bat is in the full zip distribution. Modify that file.

          I use "java -jar -Xms256m -Xmx1024m pcgen.jar" which helps.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)
          Word of the Day (gif)

          For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
            The "-Dswing.aatext=true" is needed?
          • Saxum Caribetum
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
              On 28/03/2014 15:51, David R. Bender wrote:
              pcgen_low_mem.bat is in the full zip distribution. Modify that file.

              I use "java -jar -Xms256m -Xmx1024m pcgen.jar" which helps.

              I use "java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -Xincgc -jar pcgen.jar"
              as I have 8GB on Win 64...   The "_Xincgc" turns on incremental garbage collection,
              It should give more short pauses rather than fewer long pauses when you use lots of memory.

              It's a pity we don't have a 64-bit build of PCGen, since it's memory hungry...

              --
              Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

            • Saxum Caribetum
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28, 2014
                On 28/03/2014 18:16, tsioulak@... wrote:
                The "-Dswing.aatext=true" is needed?

                I'm not enough of a Java man to know - it makes text drawn in the Swing UI style look smoother;
                I suspect if you run on Windows and use the System Look-and-feel (like I do), so it looks like other Windows programs - then it benefits from the same smooth text that Windows provides anyway.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2014
                  I am noticing some issues since i edited the pcgen__low_mem.bat file, although i am not sure if this is responsible or not, can someone please check what i have done and tell me if i did something wrong?

                  The pcgen_low_mem.bat file, now, reads that:
                  @ECHO OFF
                  ECHO PCGEN_LOW_MEM.BAT
                  ECHO ==================
                  ECHO Uncomment the following line and comment out the last line
                  ECHO if you have Out of Memory problems. The value after -Xmx is the
                  ECHO maximum amount of memory that PCGen will be allowed to use.
                  ECHO It defaults to 64MB.
                  ECHO The value after -Xms is the starting memory, using both then to speed up PCGEN.
                  ECHO -Xms256m -Xmx512m -jar pcgen.jar
                  ECHO To load all sources takes more than the default 64MB.
                  ECHO java -Dswing.aatext=true -Xmx96m -jar pcgen.jar
                  java -Dswing.aatext=true -jar -Xms256m -Xmx1024m pcgen.jar
                • Andrew Wilson