[pcgen] request for random names

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2013
      PCGen has an option to generate random names.

      Many of the supplements for Pathfinder, esp. those adding races or
      regions, include "typical names".

      Could the supplements add to the Generate Names tables? Please?

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

      ---
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2013

        Send a list and I'll see about adding them... Or better yet, make a .NAM file with the same set up as the other .NAM files and I'll include it for you.

        Cheers,
        Andrew

        On 12/21/2013 3:19 PM, Saxum Caribetum wrote:
        PCGen has an option to generate random names.

        Many of the supplements for Pathfinder, esp. those adding races or
        regions, include "typical names".

        Could the supplements add to the Generate Names tables? Please?

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2013

          The .NAM files are no longer used, so please don't put effort into those. I'll delete them soon.

          The files to use are in plugins/Random Names and a good example is roman.xml

          There is a dtd so you can use any XML editor to help with the format, or just get the heavy lifting with the list of names done and describe a set of rules for how they can be combined. This can be then coded up in the rules. Of course if you want to follow the examples, it is pretty straight forward to write the rules in the XML syntax once you know what you want to produce.

          If you add a file to the Random Names folder it should be picked up automatically and read each time you open the name dialog.

          Overall to include the names we just need someone to extract them from the sources and work out the best way to present them.

          Cheers,
          James.

          On 22/12/2013 10:41 AM Andrew wrote
          Hi,

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 22, 2013
            On 21/12/2013 23:59, James Dempsey wrote:
            Hi,

            The .NAM files are no longer used, so please don't put effort into those. I'll delete them soon.

            The files to use are in plugins/Random Names and a good example is roman.xml

            There is a dtd so you can use any XML editor to help with the format, or just get the heavy lifting with the list of names done and describe a set of rules for how they can be combined. This can be then coded up in the rules. Of course if you want to follow the examples, it is pretty straight forward to write the rules in the XML syntax once you know what you want to produce.
            yep!

            easier than editing LST files, and each file is self-complete.

            If you add a file to the Random Names folder it should be picked up automatically and read each time you open the name dialog.

            OK - thanks - for an ad hoc addition, that'll work easily.
            As I build tables, I can post them - but I don't aim to be comprehensive!

            Overall to include the names we just need someone to extract them from the sources and work out the best way to present them.

            I'd like to hint that when people work on additional supplements, as part of the on-going Greater PCGen, that they remember name-generation as well as other rules...

            --
            Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"