PCGen in Ubuntu 13.10

  • distant_scholar
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2013
      Recently, PCGen stopped working for me.  I'm pretty sure it happened at the time I upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10.  The program seems to load, the main window opens, but I never get a box asking me to load sources, and most everything in the window is unresponsive.

      I checked the Java version and it was Open Java 7.  I switched to Sun Java 7 (as best as I can tell), but that didn't fix the problem.

      The same java files work fine on my Windows 7 laptop.

      Anyone else try this, but with greater success than I?

      DS/DL
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2013
        Hi,

        Which version of PCGen are you using? PCGen 5 and earlier does not work with Java 7.

        If it is PCGen 6.x, please have a look at the pcgen.log file in the PCGen install directory - does that contain any errors?

        Cheers,
        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB

        On 29 October 2013 10:32, <adventure@...> wrote:

        Recently, PCGen stopped working for me.  I'm pretty sure it happened at the time I upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10.  The program seems to load, the main window opens, but I never get a box asking me to load sources, and most everything in the window is unresponsive.

        I checked the Java version and it was Open Java 7.  I switched to Sun Java 7 (as best as I can tell), but that didn't fix the problem.

        The same java files work fine on my Windows 7 laptop.

        Anyone else try this, but with greater success than I?

        DS/DL

      • Darth Borehd

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013
            I was using 6.1.7; 6.1.5 has the same problem.  I downloaded a new copy of 6.1.8 into a new directory; the same thing happens.  The only difference with the fresh copy is the pop-up window asking where to put the options.ini file.  (It may be important to note that the pop-up window for the fresh copy is popping up every time I start the new version.)

            Here is the entirety of the pcgen.log file:
            ======================
            04:02:47.543 INFO main Main:144 Starting PCGen v6.01.08
            04:02:47.569 INFO main LanguageBundle:131 Initialising language bundle with locale en_US.
            ======================
            That's it.  So, no errors listed.

            The only things I can do with the program window are minimize and maximize it.  I can't close the program with the "X" button in the title bar.  When I run the .sh file on its own, without a terminal, I have to kill the process with the System Monitor, and that leaves the PCGen window on-screen.  If running from a terminal, pressing Ctrl-C will stop the program and close the window.

            I know 6.1.5 was working fine on Ubuntu 13.04; I don't remember if I had tried 6.1.7 in Ubuntu.  I haven't had any problems with other programs, but I don't know if I have tried any other Java programs yet.

            DS/DL

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 29, 2013
                Hi,

                It sounds like something weird with your preferences - maybe they got mucked up by a change in display size? At any rate, try stopping PCGen, renaming the UIConfig.ini file (in your chosen settings directory) and then running PCGen to see if the defaults work ok.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 29/10/2013 7:28 PM Doug Limmer wrote

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2013
                    I accidentally discovered that if I change my graphics driver away from the official, tested, NVIDIA one back to the Noveau open source one, PCGen windows work properly.  So, something somewhere on my system was misconfigured.  (Changing back to the open source one got Shadowrun Returns to work properly, too, so yay.)

                    Under 13.04, the NVIDIA driver worked fine with PCGen, but not with 13.10.

                    I'll play around with the device drivers to see what the best combination for me is, but this is apparently a faulty device driver / OS interface problem.