[Pathfinder] Trait: Paragon of Speed

  • Darth Borehd
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013
      d20pfsrd.org lists the trait "Paragon of Speed" as:

      Paragon of Speed

      Benefit: You are quicker than normal members of your race, and gain a +2 trait bonus on Initiative checks.

      Section 15: Copyright Notice - Pathfinder Player Companion: Inner Sea Primer

      Pathfinder Player Companion: Inner Sea Primer. Copyright 2010, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Author: Colin McComb.

      (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/hermean-paragon-regional-the-steaming-sea)

      But PCGen does not have it, even if Inner Sea Primer is loaded.  Is that an oversight or a bug?

    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013
        On 10/21/13 13:47, Darth Borehd wrote:
        > d20pfsrd.org <http://d20pfsrd.org> lists the trait "Paragon of Speed" as:
        > But PCGen does not have it, even if Inner Sea Primer is loaded. Is that
        > an oversight or a bug?

        It is neither. First an explanation.

        You should know that the website you quoted is not an official Paizo
        rule source, but a commercial site reposting Paizo's content. They
        originally started out as a fan site, under Paizo's Community Use
        policy, and thus were able to use Paizo's intellectual properties that
        are not Open Gaming Content via the Open Gaming Licence, such as
        Golarion place names and so on.

        However, recently they started selling products over their website,
        becoming a commerial site, and so they are no longer allowed to use the
        Community Use Policy, which is for non-commercial endeavours only. In
        effect, they can no longer use any proper name or other reference
        regarding Paizo's intellectual properties, such as names from their
        campaign setting. So, to skirt this issue, they simply renamed all rules
        that have intellectual properties associated with them.

        The trait you are looking for is orignally called "Hermean Paragon". It
        is a regioal trait associated with the Island of Hermea in the Steaming
        Sea, and as such it is only valid for a character with an appropriate
        background. PCGen follows the Community Use Policy and has the original
        name.

        The fact that the website you quoted cannot use original names, and thus
        cannot list the fact that this is not a trait generally available for
        any character, but only for those with an association to Hermea, makes
        the use of the site for rule questions dubious in my eyes. So, be
        careful when choosing character options they list, because these options
        might have restrictions based on the background they cannot list. It is
        always better to check the original source.

        Regards
        Stefan
      • Rob
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013

          It is called "Hermean Paragon" in the book (p. 20)… PCGen has permission to use the IP name, a lot of places/projects do not, that’s why the name change.

          W. Robert Reed III

          Mynex

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013
            Ninja'd! And with 'purdier wordz' too!

            W. Robert Reed III
            Mynex

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 21, 2013
              Hi,

              We might need to put something up in a few places, cause I'm getting tired of repeating this fact. I fear it's a very common misconception that the aforementioned site is NOT official Paizo.

              Cheers,

              On 10/21/2013 5:18 AM, Rob wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  pcgen-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  pcgen-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Darth Borehd

[...]

                Related Lists
                PCGen's Mailing Lists and Links: http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links PCGen's alpha build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php PCGen's JIRA Tracker: http://jira.pcgen.org PCGen List File Help: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/ (for assistance in creating new homebrew or official list files) PCGen Experimental: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen_experimental/
                (for new official data source development) Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: pcgen-digest@yahoogroups.com pcgen-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: pcgen-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/