Questions - What book does PCGen not have, that you most desire?

  • Bahamut Dragon
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013
      Hi mates and enthusiastic pcgeners types,

      My personal group has taken a lull from a lot of things, new GM is trying his hand at running a game
      which leaves me some free time and a small thought on contemplation for my personal collection which
      has been neglected the past month (Poor books, they need love).

      It has been great seeing a lot of Pathfinder love (new books supported) on these boards, but I'm
      wondering are there any old school mates like myself who yearns for a new 3.5 splat book? That is
      how I came up with the question, which actually would have to be broken up into multiple parts.

      I'm curious from a homebrewer perspective what books people need/want for their games - here's my
      devised questions:

      D&D 3.5 - What Book would you love to see in pcgen next? (If it's a Closed content book, what
      prevents you from taking the time to make it yourself or working with someone?)

      Pathfinder - What Book would you love to get made next?

      Other Systems - Anything you'd like to see?

      What medium do you use PCGen for?
      - Tabletop Active? (HTM/PDF on screen)
      - Tabletop PDF/Other printed?
      - Play by (Email/Post/Mail)?
      - Online Networking/Active (Skype/Ventrillo/IM/Maptools/Battleground/Web ,etc.)

      And is this mainly as player or GM?

      A last question, anyone playing around with the new D&D Next play test? I was able to cobble
      together a set for use in our group - nice to see pcgen will be able to handle it on the hombebrew
      side of things.

      --
      ~BD
      https://github.com/BahamutDragon/pcgen
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013

        Hey BD,

        I've migrated away from 3.5 completely to PF in the last four years. Haven't looked back. Although the amount of rules Paizo pumps out gets to me.

        We mostly use Core + APG nowadays and stay away from Ninja, Gunslinger and the like. If you read the forums, it's mostly the same kind of lame WoW complaining and minmaxing that you see there.

        So I like new books for flavor, options for flavor, etc. But new classes don't do much for me.

        I still run 80%/90% printed PDFs on the table, but there are around three tablets floating aroung. We use a lot of SRDs though.

        I'm currently trying to add hyperlinks to all spells, feats and abilities as a side project and will try to enhance the PDFs with those. Make them more interactive. Now, the PDFs have no upside for me. It's actually harder to get an overview (you can spread paper out, but not PDFs).

        Then I'll see if the spell lists can be made more interactive for my group, see what I can come up wirh. Order them differently. They will be clickable so you'll need less of the data that is currently there, this has to influence the markup in some way and I am very curious how it will turn out.

        Best,

        Henk
      • Omowale Anthony
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013

          If i still used 3.5...it'd be Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords...

          Pathfinder...it would be the new Worldwound AP and the Demon Hunter's Handbook...

        • Doug Limmer
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013
            On 10/10/2013 05:44 PM, Omowale Anthony wrote:

            If i still used 3.5...it'd be Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords...

            While waiting for Ultimate Psionics to get done, I've been tinkering with Dreamscarred Press' Path of War playtest, which covers the same ground as Bo9S for Pathfinder.  Now that the SPELLSTAT:OTHER trouble has been taken care of (I hope), I'll be able to make better progress.

            Of course, the new stuff from Ultimate Psionics will be ready Real Soon Now, so Paths of War will get backburnered some more.  PoW is still in playtest for now, though, so that's probably OK.

            Pathfinder...it would be the new Worldwound AP and the Demon Hunter's Handbook...

            Can't help you with those, though...

            DS/DL

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 10, 2013
              Hi BD,

              My groups hover between 3.5 and PF. It doesn't matter to us to much cause we only use the baseline
              rules anyways. Character and Race creation is handled by Eclipse d20 classless pointbuy - splat
              books are only for ideas to fuel our creativity, beyond that, I haven't used any other books except
              to toss a regular joe monster at them every now and again. Avoids the whole buy the latest books to
              stay on the top of the game. I do enjoy our group sidelining into other systems just to get a broad
              sense of the systems - Halloween is coming up so I like to go for theme'd games around the holidays.
              We have a GM that'll run a Call of Cthulhu module. I'll pull from the Ravenloft setting for the D20
              games.

              Books, well, I'm way more odd in my tastes for different flavors. I've tossed some of my homebrew
              stuff on github - Kingdom Hearts and some modern horrors like Zerglings from Starcraft. Found a
              campaign setting that was basically a reason to have anything and everything in the game you'd like.
              People are free to grab it and play with it. My last two major campaigns have featured the Keyblade
              and HEARTLESS. Fits nicely into a Chaos Cult themed game.

              I play both tabletop and online in play by post. I used to do live online but it's been hard to get
              people on at the same time, the last one I did was a Starwars themed game. I'll use the PDF format
              for both, though I'll print the pdfs up for the tabletop for those who aren't me.

              Those who are crazy enough to want to play with me, I hang out on rpol.net 'drew0500' - I'm
              currently running five active games. Most are PF flavored Class/Classless, one is an Evil Theme'd
              game - for some reason being a bad guy has appeal to people, go figure; and the rest are either high
              fantasy or a converted Dragonstar to PF.

              Cheers,

              On 10/10/2013 2:00 PM, Henk Slaaf wrote:

              > Hey BD,
              >
              > I've migrated away from 3.5 completely to PF in the last four years. Haven't looked back. Although
              > the amount of rules Paizo pumps out gets to me.
              >
              > We mostly use Core + APG nowadays and stay away from Ninja, Gunslinger and the like. If you read the
              > forums, it's mostly the same kind of lame WoW complaining and minmaxing that you see there.
              >
              > So I like new books for flavor, options for flavor, etc. But new classes don't do much for me.
              >

              > I still run 80%/90% printed PDFs on the table, but there are around three tablets floating aroung.
              > We use a lot of SRDs though.
              >
              > I'm currently trying to add hyperlinks to all spells, feats and abilities as a side project
              > <https://github.com/allardhoeve/pcgen-miniprojects/blob/master/STATUS.md> and will try to enhance
              > the PDFs with those. Make them more interactive. Now, the PDFs have no upside for me. It's actually
              > harder to get an overview (you can spread paper out, but not PDFs).
              >
              > Then I'll see if the spell lists can be made more interactive for my group, see what I can come up
              > wirh. Order them differently. They will be clickable so you'll need less of the data that is
              > currently there, this has to influence the markup in some way and I am very curious how it will turn
              > out.
              >

              > Best,
              >
              > Henk

            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 11, 2013
                Greetings,

                I print out pdf's for my players, and tabletop.

                Only thing I'd like adding really is support for Cyberpunk...
                Most of my homebrew adds in the Forgotten realms stuff to 3.5, and enhances D20 Modern to add in the detail (both a bit of work in progress...)

                Cheers
                Dave

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

                > On 10/10/2013 05:44 PM, Omowale Anthony wrote:
                >
                > > If i still used 3.5...it'd be Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords...
                > >
                > While waiting for /Ultimate Psionics/ to get done, I've been tinkering
                > with Dreamscarred Press' /Path of War/ playtest, which covers the same
                > ground as Bo9S for Pathfinder. Now that the SPELLSTAT:OTHER trouble has
                > been taken care of (I hope), I'll be able to make better progress.
                >
                > Of course, the new stuff from /Ultimate Psionics/ will be ready Real
                > Soon Now, so /Paths of War/ will get backburnered some more. PoW is
                > still in playtest for now, though, so that's probably OK.
                >
                > > Pathfinder...it would be the new Worldwound AP and the Demon Hunter's
                > > Handbook...
                > >
                > Can't help you with those, though...
                >
                > DS/DL

              • Ragabash Moon
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 11, 2013
                  I'd like to see actually some of the Pathfinder Adventure Path stuff done up.  The extra little stuff in the back.  Only a few pages each, but collectively there is a lot of good material there.  Like the Clockwork familiars from Shattered Star for example.

                  Also, things like Halflings of Golarion, Goblins of Golarion, those sort of mini-racial splatbooks that give great options for characters, like the Halfling Jinx alternate racial trait or all the Goblin specific feats and spells.

                  Oh and lastly, a bit more of a larger book , Inner Sea Magic, especially the Black-Blooded Oracle and the "False Focus" and other Razmiran stuff.

                  These are just a few of the books I'd most like to see.  As for picking just one... I'd really have to say the "Companions" mini-racial splat books.

                  As for where I am coming from, I am mostly a GM.  As in, would love to play but I'm the only person I know that runs the games I enjoy.

                • nylanfs

                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 14, 2013
                        Greetings,

                        Probably would be good to have some support for Dark Heresy and the other Warhammer 40K RPG's ?

                        Cheers
                        Dave

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings,
                        >
                        > I print out pdf's for my players, and tabletop.
                        >
                        > Only thing I'd like adding really is support for Cyberpunk...
                        > Most of my homebrew adds in the Forgotten realms stuff to 3.5, and enhances D20 Modern to add in the detail (both a bit of work in progress...)
                        >
                        > Cheers
                        > Dave
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On 10/10/2013 05:44 PM, Omowale Anthony wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > If i still used 3.5...it'd be Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords...
                        > > >
                        > > While waiting for /Ultimate Psionics/ to get done, I've been tinkering
                        > > with Dreamscarred Press' /Path of War/ playtest, which covers the same
                        > > ground as Bo9S for Pathfinder. Now that the SPELLSTAT:OTHER trouble has
                        > > been taken care of (I hope), I'll be able to make better progress.
                        > >
                        > > Of course, the new stuff from /Ultimate Psionics/ will be ready Real
                        > > Soon Now, so /Paths of War/ will get backburnered some more. PoW is
                        > > still in playtest for now, though, so that's probably OK.
                        > >
                        > > > Pathfinder...it would be the new Worldwound AP and the Demon Hunter's
                        > > > Handbook...
                        > > >
                        > > Can't help you with those, though...
                        > >
                        > > DS/DL

                      • Bahamut Dragon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 14, 2013
                          Interesting request Mate. Though I'll stick with what I know for now, probably clean up a few sets.
                          Plan on getting my entire collection into sets for the 3.5e system first, time and effort. None of
                          my mates have expressed an interest in the Warhammer series. They are into trying new things out
                          though. I've collected enough oddball materials to throw anything together.

                          My high hopes is to do a True20 game eventually; finally got the system plugged into pcgen and
                          though PCGen doesn't fully support it nicely, I hacked around the problem so it's still workable.
                          Might even give the Fantasy craft a go whenever that is finished - play in something I didn't have
                          to build up.

                          Best,

                          On 10/14/2013 3:30 AM, FerretDave wrote:

                          > Greetings,
                          >
                          > Probably would be good to have some support for Dark Heresy and the other Warhammer 40K RPG's ?
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Dave
                          >
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Greetings,
                          >>
                          >> I print out pdf's for my players, and tabletop.
                          >>
                          >> Only thing I'd like adding really is support for Cyberpunk...
                          >> Most of my homebrew adds in the Forgotten realms stuff to 3.5, and enhances D20 Modern to add in
                          > the detail (both a bit of work in progress...)
                          >>
                          >> Cheers
                          >> Dave
                          >>
                          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:

                          >> > While waiting for /Ultimate Psionics/ to get done, I've been tinkering
                          >> > with Dreamscarred Press' /Path of War/ playtest, which covers the same
                          >> > ground as Bo9S for Pathfinder. Now that the SPELLSTAT:OTHER trouble has
                          >> > been taken care of (I hope), I'll be able to make better progress.
                          >> >
                          >> > Of course, the new stuff from /Ultimate Psionics/ will be ready Real
                          >> > Soon Now, so /Paths of War/ will get backburnered some more. PoW is
                          >> > still in playtest for now, though, so that's probably OK.

                          >> > Can't help you with those, though...
                          >> >
                          >> > DS/DL

                        • Timmy Morrison
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 14, 2013
                            well its not a book but i would love a integrated pathfinder society option that just shows pathfinder society options
                            and my book that i would like would like to add would be Player's Options: Aasimar, Tieflings, & Elemental Templates
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013
                              I'm not sure I quite follow the request here.

                              Pathfinder Society is part of Pathfinder, it's found under the Pathfinder system. In order to
                              determine whether it's something to look into I need to understand the request. What exactly do you
                              mean by "Just shows pathfinder society options"?

                              On 10/14/2013 9:01 PM, Timmy Morrison wrote:

                              > well its not a book but i would love a integrated pathfinder society option that just shows
                              > pathfinder society options
                              > and my book that i would like would like to add would be Player's Options: Aasimar, Tieflings, &
                              > Elemental Templates

                            • darkon_turas
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013

                                I have three D&D 3.5 books that get used a lot: Tome of Magic (Shadowcaster classes), Dragon Compendium (various classes) and the Book of Erotic Fantasy (Rake and Metaphysical Spellshaper classes).

                                When it comes to Pathfinder, all of the "Ultimate" books are needed.

                                ---In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, <drew0500@...> wrote:

                                I'm not sure I quite follow the request here.

                                Pathfinder Society is part of Pathfinder, it's found under the Pathfinder system. In order to
                                determine whether it's something to look into I need to understand the request. What exactly do you
                                mean by "Just shows pathfinder society options"?

                                On 10/14/2013 9:01 PM, Timmy Morrison wrote:

                                > well its not a book but i would love a integrated pathfinder society option that just shows
                                > pathfinder society options
                                > and my book that i would like would like to add would be Player's Options: Aasimar, Tieflings, &
                                > Elemental Templates

                              • masaru20100
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013

                                  I think M. Morrison would like to only have legal/available Pathfinder Society Organised Play options (feat, spells, items, classes, archetypes, etc.) visible or selectable.

                                  This is on my todo/would-like list, it would be like a book representing the Additional Resources page at Paizo’s website (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources). It would basically be a big collection of .MOD of the various abilities from every books in the list. Quite the work to list everything.

                                  It might be possible to do a PFSOP source selection which would import only thing that are allowed. The trick is making it clear to the user which book are included in it as every Paizo’s PF book is not coded yet.

                                • Timmy Morrison
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013
                                    yes thank you i was kind of forgot what i was trying to say and yeah that would be awesome

                                  • Timmy Morrison
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013
                                      there is another book i would love to add

                                      Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of Angels

                                      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Timmy Morrison <timmymorrison1@...> wrote:
                                      yes thank you i was kind of forgot what i was trying to say and yeah that would be awesome

                                    • Darth Borehd

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013
                                          Blood of Angels is currently in work I believe.

                                          Maredudd

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013
                                            cool when would it be out

                                            On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:38 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...> wrote:
                                            Blood of Angels is currently in work I believe.

                                            Maredudd

                                            On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:27 AM, Timmy Morrison wrote:

                                            > there is another book i would love to add
                                            >

                                            > Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of Angels
                                            >

                                            > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Timmy Morrison <timmymorrison1@...> wrote:
                                            > yes thank you i was kind of forgot what i was trying to say and yeah that would be awesome

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            <*> Your email settings:
                                                Individual Email | Traditional

                                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                                pcgen-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                pcgen-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                          • Eric C Smith
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 15, 2013
                                              Hi Folks!

                                              That depends upon the time the Data Monkey working on it has available. I know. Thats not very helpful . . .

                                              Maredudd