Adopted Trait - Is this an issue with PCGen

  • gnosoupforu
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2013
      Question about the Adopted Trait.

      The Adopted Trait reads as follows:
      Benefit: As a result, you picked up a race trait from your adoptive parents and society, and may immediately select a race trait from your adoptive parents' race.

      As it is written, this should mean that once you select this trait and choose your race you get a Race Trait for your selected race. This would still allow you to choose another trait.

      PCGen is allowing me to choose a Race Trait but the chosen Race Trait and Adopted Trait are both counting towards my trait totals and not just one. Is this a bug?

      Reproduce Issue:
      ¤ Select Adopted Trait
      ¤ Select a race (I chose Halfling in this case)
      ¤ Select a trait only accesible to Halflings (I chose Helpful from the Halflings of Golarion)

      Observed Results:
      ¤ The trait Adopted and Trait Helpful counted towards both of my allotment trait pool points

      Expected Results:
      ¤ I should still have one Trait pool point left to be used for another trait that is not Racial or Social.

      CAMPAIGN:Pathfinder RPG (Includes all currently released Supplements)|CAMPAIGN:Paizo - Halflings of Golarion
      VERSION:6.01.06

      Cheers,
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2013
        Hmm, the Adopted trait is broken again. What is supposed to happen when you select an Adoptive Race is you get a separate choice for the Race Trait. (You still only get one Race trait though)

        I'll take a look and see what happened.

        Maredudd

        On Sep 27, 2013, at 11:42 AM, gnosoupforu wrote:

        > Question about the Adopted Trait.
        >
        > The Adopted Trait reads as follows:
        > Benefit: As a result, you picked up a race trait from your adoptive parents and society, and may immediately select a race trait from your adoptive parents' race.
        >
        > As it is written, this should mean that once you select this trait and choose your race you get a Race Trait for your selected race. This would still allow you to choose another trait.
        >
        > PCGen is allowing me to choose a Race Trait but the chosen Race Trait and Adopted Trait are both counting towards my trait totals and not just one. Is this a bug?
        >
        > Reproduce Issue:
        > ¤ Select Adopted Trait
        > ¤ Select a race (I chose Halfling in this case)
        > ¤ Select a trait only accesible to Halflings (I chose Helpful from the Halflings of Golarion)
        >
        > Observed Results:
        > ¤ The trait Adopted and Trait Helpful counted towards both of my allotment trait pool points
        >
        > Expected Results:
        > ¤ I should still have one Trait pool point left to be used for another trait that is not Racial or Social.
        >
        > CAMPAIGN:Pathfinder RPG (Includes all currently released Supplements)|CAMPAIGN:Paizo - Halflings of Golarion
        > VERSION:6.01.06
        >
        > Cheers,

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2013
          Hi Folks!

          Ok, I have confirmed a problem and identified the culprit. I'll commit a fix shortly.

          gnosoupforu, try picking Gnome as the Adoptive Rce. This will demonstrate the correct behavior.

          The problem is a misspelled ability KEY.

          What 6.1.6 has: Adoptive Race ~ Halfing
          What it should have: Adoptive Race ~ Halfling

          Simple typo.

          Maredudd

          On Sep 27, 2013, at 11:42 AM, gnosoupforu wrote:

          > Question about the Adopted Trait.
          >
          > The Adopted Trait reads as follows:
          > Benefit: As a result, you picked up a race trait from your adoptive parents and society, and may immediately select a race trait from your adoptive parents' race.
          >
          > As it is written, this should mean that once you select this trait and choose your race you get a Race Trait for your selected race. This would still allow you to choose another trait.
          >
          > PCGen is allowing me to choose a Race Trait but the chosen Race Trait and Adopted Trait are both counting towards my trait totals and not just one. Is this a bug?
          >
          > Reproduce Issue:
          > ¤ Select Adopted Trait
          > ¤ Select a race (I chose Halfling in this case)
          > ¤ Select a trait only accesible to Halflings (I chose Helpful from the Halflings of Golarion)
          >
          > Observed Results:
          > ¤ The trait Adopted and Trait Helpful counted towards both of my allotment trait pool points
          >
          > Expected Results:
          > ¤ I should still have one Trait pool point left to be used for another trait that is not Racial or Social.
          >
          > CAMPAIGN:Pathfinder RPG (Includes all currently released Supplements)|CAMPAIGN:Paizo - Halflings of Golarion
          > VERSION:6.01.06
          >
          > Cheers,

        • Matthew Thompson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2013

            Since we're on the topic of Traits, is Magical Lineage actually implemented, or is it just defined but un-implemented?

            By this, I mean if I take say Magical Lineage (Magic Missile), then try to prepare Magic Missile with a Metamagic feat that is +1, it puts it into the 2nd level spell slots, when it should instead be in the 1st level spell slots.  Given that metamagic was broken in 6.01.06, I wasn't sure if this was also broken, or just not implemented.
          • Keith McComb
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 2013
              On 9/28/2013 3:13 AM, Eric C Smith wrote:
              > Hi Folks!
              >
              > Ok, I have confirmed a problem and identified the culprit. I'll commit a fix shortly.
              >
              > gnosoupforu, try picking Gnome as the Adoptive Rce. This will demonstrate the correct behavior.
              >
              > The problem is a misspelled ability KEY.
              >
              > What 6.1.6 has: Adoptive Race ~ Halfing
              > What it should have: Adoptive Race ~ Halfling

              Yeah, that is subtle. I had to read this email three times before I
              noticed the error. (And something I'm all to familiar with in
              programming. *grin*)

              Keith
            • gnosoupforu
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013
                Awesome! That sounds like an easy fix on my end until this is checked in and in the next release! Thanks Eric.

                Josh

                > Hi Folks!
                >
                > Ok, I have confirmed a problem and identified the culprit. I'll commit a fix shortly.
                >
                > gnosoupforu, try picking Gnome as the Adoptive Rce. This will demonstrate the correct behavior.
                >
                > The problem is a misspelled ability KEY.
                >
                > What 6.1.6 has: Adoptive Race ~ Halfing
                > What it should have: Adoptive Race ~ Halfling
                >
                > Simple typo.
                >
                > Maredudd
                >
                > On Sep 27, 2013, at 11:42 AM, gnosoupforu wrote:
                >
                > > Question about the Adopted Trait.
                > >
                > > The Adopted Trait reads as follows:
                > > Benefit: As a result, you picked up a race trait from your adoptive parents and society, and may immediately select a race trait from your adoptive parents' race.
                > >
                > > As it is written, this should mean that once you select this trait and choose your race you get a Race Trait for your selected race. This would still allow you to choose another trait.
                > >
                > > PCGen is allowing me to choose a Race Trait but the chosen Race Trait and Adopted Trait are both counting towards my trait totals and not just one. Is this a bug?
                > >
                > > Reproduce Issue:
                > > ¤ Select Adopted Trait
                > > ¤ Select a race (I chose Halfling in this case)
                > > ¤ Select a trait only accesible to Halflings (I chose Helpful from the Halflings of Golarion)
                > >
                > > Observed Results:
                > > ¤ The trait Adopted and Trait Helpful counted towards both of my allotment trait pool points
                > >
                > > Expected Results:
                > > ¤ I should still have one Trait pool point left to be used for another trait that is not Racial or Social.
                > >
                > > CAMPAIGN:Pathfinder RPG (Includes all currently released Supplements)|CAMPAIGN:Paizo - Halflings of Golarion
                > > VERSION:6.01.06
                > >
                > > Cheers,

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2013
                  Checked in and ready for the next release . . . :-)