Adding a new mount

  • b4d4skiddlybee
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2013
      This is for pathfinder.

      So as far as in-game goes, I wanted to make a group of NPC's that were like dragon knights. But then I thought that was too cliché. Plus the SuperGenius games dragonrider class has yet to be added. SO I thought I'd mix it up just a bit. A group of dragonFLY knights! Yep. But rather than druids using animal companions I wanted them to be more "knight-like" and charge (fly) into battle. So I was like: cavaliers would be perfect. Especially the beast-rider archetype... except for their list of mounts. They can have a tiger, an elephant, even a friggin T-Rex but nothing with a fly speed. Well, I want to change that! I figure this shouldn't be too difficult, because I won't be creating a new mount, I just want to take the Giant Dragonfly from Bestiary 2 (pg. 105) and make it an available mount to select as a Cavalier Beast Rider.

      In Ultimate Combat druids are allowed vermin companions, and these are already implemented into PCGen. What I was thinking is just have the Dragonfly follow the same advancement as the Giant Wasp or Mantis or something like that.

      My question to you all is, how would I add this as a custom mount/animal companion? What would be the easiest way, build it from scratch, copy & paste the wasp and change it to dragonfly, or can I add the "expanded mount" choices to the cavalier - beast rider?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2013
        Pathfinder Companions are a separate race entry due to how the companion system is built. Making a
        custom mount wouldn't be hard to handle. Plenty of examples exist on how to build it in the sets.

        Copy and Paste might work, just proof your changes to make sure you did it correctly.

        On 9/23/2013 2:54 PM, b4d4skiddlybee@... wrote:

        > This is for pathfinder.
        >
        > So as far as in-game goes, I wanted to make a group of NPC's that were like dragon knights. But then
        > I thought that was too cliché. Plus the SuperGenius games dragonrider class has yet to be added. SO
        > I thought I'd mix it up just a bit. A group of dragonFLY knights! Yep. But rather than druids using
        > animal companions I wanted them to be more "knight-like" and charge (fly) into battle. So I was
        > like: cavaliers would be perfect. Especially the beast-rider archetype... except for their list of
        > mounts. They can have a tiger, an elephant, even a friggin T-Rex but nothing with a fly speed. Well,
        > I want to change that! I figure this shouldn't be too difficult, because I won't be creating a new
        > mount, I just want to take the Giant Dragonfly from Bestiary 2 (pg. 105) and make it an available
        > mount to select as a Cavalier Beast Rider.
        >
        > In Ultimate Combat druids are allowed vermin companions, and these are already implemented into
        > PCGen. What I was thinking is just have the Dragonfly follow the same advancement as the Giant Wasp
        > or Mantis or something like that.
        >
        > My question to you all is, how would I add this as a custom mount/animal companion? What would be
        > the easiest way, build it from scratch, copy & paste the wasp and change it to dragonfly, or can I
        > add the "expanded mount" choices to the cavalier - beast rider?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • b4d4skiddlybee
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2013

          Okay, well I made the dragonfly companion. You're right it wasn't too hard. It is kind of like a hybrid between the giant mantis and giant wasp.

          Here's the kit:

          #Giant Dragonfly Companion
          STARTPACK:Companion ~ Giant Dragonfly    TYPE:Companion    VISIBLE:NO
          STAT:STR=10|DEX=11|CON=10|INT=10|WIS=10|CHA=10

          The race:

          ###Block: Dragonfly Companion
          # Race Name            Output Name            Starting Feats    Size    Move                Face/Space    Reach        Vision                Bonus to Ability Pool                                Combat bonus                Stat bonus                                                Modify VAR            Ability                                                                                                                                        Nb Legs    Nb Hands    Natural Attacks                                            Define            Damage Reduction        Monster Class Name and Starting Level    Main Race Type        Template    Source Page    Apply Kit
          Companion (Dragonfly (Giant))    OUTPUTNAME:Giant Dragonfly    STARTFEATS:1    SIZE:M    MOVE:Walk,20,Fly,60        FACE:5        REACH:5                        BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Companion Level Increase Choice|1|PREVARGTEQ:MasterLevel,7    BONUS:COMBAT|AC|3|TYPE=NaturalArmor    BONUS:STAT|DEX|4        BONUS:STAT|INT|-9    BONUS:STAT|WIS|2    BONUS:STAT|CHA|-2                    ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Flight Maneuverability|Grab|Darting Charge ~ Giant Dragonfly Companion                                                                                    LEGS:6    HANDS:0        NATURALATTACKS:Claw,Weapon.Natural.Melee.Finesseable.Piercing.Slashing.Grab,*2,1d4        DEFINE:Maneuverability|4                MONSTERCLASS:Vermin Companion:2        RACETYPE:Companion            SOURCEPAGE:p.37    KIT:1|Companion ~ Giant Dragonfly

          And the abilities:
          ###Block: Giant Dragonfly Companion abilities
          # Ability Name    Unique Key                    Category of Ability        Type                    Description                                                                                                                                                                Automatically Gained Feat    Source Page
          Darting Charge    KEY:Darting Charge ~ Giant Dragonfly Companion    CATEGORY:Special Ability    TYPE:SpecialAttack.Extraordinary    DESC:A giant dragonfly is adept at swooping in to attack prey with a powerful bite and then, just as quickly, swooping back up out of reach.  As a result, a giant dragonfly gains Flyby Attack as a bonus feat.  In addition, if a giant dragonfly charges while flying, it receives a +4 bonus on CMB checks made to grapple foes.    AUTO:FEAT|Flyby Attack        SOURCEPAGE:p.105
          Mandibles    KEY:Mandibles ~ Giant Dragonfly Companion    CATEGORY:Special Ability    TYPE:SpecialAttack.Extraordinary    DESC:1d6 secondary attack against grabbed target                                                                                                                                                            SOURCEPAGE:p.37

          ###Block: Dragonfly Companion Advancement abilities
          # Ability Name                    Category of Ability        Type        Visible        Required Race                Ability                                        Combat bonus    Adjust PC Size            Stat bonus    Modify VAR    Add to vision        Vision        Natural Attacks
          Companion Advancement (Dragonfly (Giant))    CATEGORY:Special Ability    TYPE:CompChoice    VISIBLE:DISPLAY    PRERACE:1,Companion (Dragonfly (Giant))    ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|Mandibles ~ Giant Dragonfly Companion                BONUS:SIZEMOD|NUMBER|1

          It works! I can select it as a Druid or Cavalier - including the Beast Rider archetype! I just added Companion (Dragonfly (Giant)) to the exotic mounts list for Beast Rider. However, I am wondering if instead of modding the .lst file from Ultimate Combat if I could use the .MOD tag to just add it in with my homebrew.

          What would the .MOD look like? This is what I was thinking but wasn't too sure how .MOD works:
          CATEGORY:Special Ability|Exotic Mount.MOD    COMPANIONLIST:Companion (Dragonfly (Giant))|PREVARGTEQ:CavalierLVL,3|PRESIZEEQ:M

          Would that ADD to the existing ability or would it REPLACE it? Because I don't want to replace it. Could I instead use BONUS:COMPANIONLIST ? Again, not totally sure how the Bonus tag works.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2013

            We don't normally discuss the particulars of homebrew mods and such on the main list here. This
            would be more appropriate on the List File Class group. Suffice it to say, yes you can use .MOD and
            it will append and not replace. Oh and it's CATEGORY=x|y.MOD not CATEGORY:x|y.MOD

            Cheers,
            -Andrew

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 25, 2013
              I appreciate the help. Something so simple as trading a colon: for an equals = ... go figure

              Hi,