Re: [pcgen] Choosing Abilities Before Leveling

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2013

      Glad to hear you like us.

      Pre-planning level progression, that would be quite a feat actually.

      Can it be done today, yeah, but it would require learning how to work with Kits. Kits are handy, but
      that would involve learning the Kit lst.

      We even have random NPC generator that should be brought back soon.

      Can you have some sort of PrePlan Wizard Screen to do that, yes. It would be a major job for a
      coder, and would take some planning, but it sounds like a good feature request. No timeframe on when
      it would happen.

      -Andrew

      On 9/6/2013 12:49 PM, b4d4skiddlybee@... wrote:

      > Hey there! First I want to say I just found PCGen. I was looking into some creators/editors for
      > pathfinder online and I was not about to drop $100+ just so I could have all the pathfinder books in
      > Hero Lab. Keep up the good work, love this program!
      >
      > Anyway, my question is: Is there any way that you can choose abilities, feats, etc. for a character
      > ahead of time?
      >
      > What I mean is, I would like to pick my feats and skills at level one but planned out all the way to
      > level 20, that way instead of each time I level I wouldn't have to add new hit dice, skills, feats
      > and spells, I could just click level up and all the feats I chose beforehand now automatically add
      > to the character.

    • b4d4skiddlybee
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2013

        Thank you for the reply. Good to know its at least considered a future possibility.

        Also a random NPC generator would be boss. Sometimes towns just need to be populated with randoms to make it feel lived in.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, <drew0500@...> wrote:

        Hi,

        Glad to hear you like us.

        Pre-planning level progression, that would be quite a feat actually.

        Can it be done today, yeah, but it would require learning how to work with Kits. Kits are handy, but
        that would involve learning the Kit lst.

        We even have random NPC generator that should be brought back soon.

        Can you have some sort of PrePlan Wizard Screen to do that, yes. It would be a major job for a
        coder, and would take some planning, but it sounds like a good feature request. No timeframe on when
        it would happen.

        -Andrew

        On 9/6/2013 12:49 PM, b4d4skiddlybee@... wrote:

        > Hey there! First I want to say I just found PCGen. I was looking into some creators/editors for
        > pathfinder online and I was not about to drop $100+ just so I could have all the pathfinder books in
        > Hero Lab. Keep up the good work, love this program!
        >
        > Anyway, my question is: Is there any way that you can choose abilities, feats, etc. for a character
        > ahead of time?
        >
        > What I mean is, I would like to pick my feats and skills at level one but planned out all the way to
        > level 20, that way instead of each time I level I wouldn't have to add new hit dice, skills, feats
        > and spells, I could just click level up and all the feats I chose beforehand now automatically add
        > to the character.

      • sowkrates1
        Message 3 of 5 , May 17, 2014
          I second this whole-heartedly!  I 'm new to the board so hopefully this isn't a FREQ that has been addressed a whole lot already.  I just saw that it is not listed in the features of GMGen.

          My strong suggestion is to widely expande all of the auto/custom generator functionality.  That is the one thing keeping me from jumping on board the PC/GMGen bangwagon.

          The biggest detraction from the program for me is the simplistic nature of the random generation .  Are you guys familiar with Roleplayingmaster? It unfortunately went away a few years ago but they had the right idea.  You could create random generators for anything, and it really took the heat off of myself as a DM and allowed me to focus on the fun rather than feeling pressure when someone asked me "hey who actually owns that there tower?  I want to go talk to him..." and i have to on the spot design some sort of a lord, his surroundings, etc.   We've all been there.  Extensive generators take care of all this.

          Everything from your basic traveling random generating encounters, on of the oldest and most important random generation tables in D&D (they aren't all monsters; maybe in my world monster's are rare and it's bandits that are on the loose more, or what about non-combat random encounters ?) name generators (I know you already have this, but I  like to vastly customize this to my own world's naming conventions), to personality quirks, to clothing, to background and on and on could be generated by one click of the button...randomly generated news items, the contents of magic shops, entire dungeons, even entire random adventuring parties!  I had literally thousands of generators using RPM. I once ran an entire session with nothing but generated on the spot information, characters and plot twists and brought it all together and it was one of our best sessions because even I didn't know what was going to happen to this.

          Another improvement the random encounter generator could really use is not to just assign certain monsters to certain climates - I would like to add specific monsters to specific areas in my world.  It wouldn't make sense if the Purple Terrors appeared in the Dead Plains halfway round the world just because they are found in the plains elsewhere.  I know this is a lot and hopefully some of this has been covered...it's just a little intimated with all the posts already made and thousands of members, and I was encouraged that the first msg I came across dealt with this issue.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 5 , May 17, 2014

            Although I like random generators, that hasn't been the focus for us.

            As an example, I subscribe to a wonderful mailing list ran by a GM called Johnn Four. His blog/mailing list is called 'Roleplaying Tips' it's geared towards us GMs and running better games. In several articles he has had links to sites and programs that have random generators. Pop a list of items in and let the random generation begin. Generators abound in internet land, so random anything should be fairly easy.

            Now, don't get me wrong, we do support randomizers. Those are mainly for the Description section - things that won't directly impact the actual character. We did have a random NPC generation capability, but that hasn't been re-enabled yet (it's on the list for the code team to update and implement). See, random generator that makes an actual character is a lot harder to do then pumping out a random name and class/level. It requires lists to be made and then the program to build the actual character.

            PCGen is first and foremost a Player Character Generator and Maintenance program. Its main job is to help you make a rules-legal character for the game system you play. It does this by automating certain tasks, prompting you to make choices about your class, race, and then selections that those choices would give you. It correctly gives you your Combat Stats, works with you to employ magic items, tracks you Companions granted by a Class Feature. In essence, it does all the hard work, and when you finish gives you three major methods of creating a working character sheet. It can make monsters or NPCs as well for the GM.

            GMGen is an add-on that was meant to assist a GM in handling encounters and dice rolling.

            Since the primary focus is to aid players in creating and maintaining their own characters, that is where the newer features and push for support lies. The major priorities to our mission:
            1) Provide Support to the Systems our users play in (Usually by adding Code Features to support new systems, and coding up new books)
            2) Fix issues that are discovered

            As an example of current events:
            I am focused on giving homebrew folks (People who make their own books to use in the program), more support by upgrading the Pathfinder and RSRD (D&D 3.5 edition) set to a common standard. Both of these require a lot of time and effort. I'm also collaborating with a homebrewer to make sure the standards are met, and include improvements where I can. I'm also in several threads discussing the direction of pcgen and fixing bugs.

            The Arch Team is currently working on replacing an outdated formula system that is currently using JEP (Java Expression Parser). They are currently discussing the ramifications of replacing it entirely with the Code and Data teams. That is on top of their current work to eliminate Cloning of Abilities so we can get better support for a Feature to Choose an Ability and then Grant that same ability.

            The Code Team finished upgrading the FOP program (Our PDF Export System) as well as implementing Freemarker as a foundation to support Output Sheet improvements. On their agenda is working on the in-built LST editor to allow easier customization for our users and perhaps getting the NPC random generator back up.

            Now, not to discourage you by all the above, just wanted to lay the groundwork. We are very open to suggestions, and if you are willing to contribute some work, then we'll gladly help you in return and accept that effort.

            You mentioned you like having lists. Our existing lists can be edited and I'll be happy to take any work you provide on those lists, and make it part of the normal distribution. If you want to aid in setting up the xml doc that controlled the Random Generation (When it was up and running), then I'll be happy to send that to you so you can improve it. If you are a JAVA coder, or can convince one to assist, our two top coders would be happy to have any assistance and point them to the files to get this or another project accomplished.

            If you aren't willing or able, then you are at the mercy of one of the existing coders taking an active interest in the project. (If you want to help prompt one, our tracker system is here > jira.pcgen.org) Feel free to open a Code Feature Request to enable a Random Character Generator. However, everyone here is a volunteer and normally focus on one of two things: Something that needs to be accomplished, or something they have a personal interest in including.

            If there is anything I can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

            Cheers,
            Andrew
            Data 2nd