Re: [pcgen] SourceForge shenanigans?

  • Anestis Kozakis
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hi Stefan,

      We had this discussion on the BoD list. I'll repost my findings here.

      Form what I have found out, it's a program offered by Sourceforge called
      devshare which allows people to monetise their installers by including
      things like the Ask Toolbar to be installed (which Filezilla has done).

      See http://sourceforge.net/devshare/why.

      While a lot of people consider toolbars and the like "malware" it's nothing
      of the sort.

      It's an opt-in program, and no one is forcing projects to do it.

      From everything I have read, DICE, who purchased Geeknet which runs
      Slashdot, SF and Freenode, will not be interfering in the way these sites
      are run, just mot likely leveraging off their views to generate more
      revenue.

      From one of the comments at http://labs.stephenou.com/hn/item/6262347

      ----------

      The article gets a few things *very* wrong. First off, there are no
      drive-by installers. It's an offer-based installer. Meaning that when you
      run it, you get a single offer of an additional product. Second, it's
      offering you either trialware (a trial version of a for-sale product that
      they hope you buy after trying) or adware (like an Ask.com toolbar to ad to
      your browser). The author of this blog post is either outright lying about
      it doing drive-by-installers and malware or is clueless about what the
      terminology actually means.
      The last time this was posted on HN, I did a quick writeup on my
      understanding of it (reposted here):
      "For the curious, this is an optional program at SourceForge being offered
      to developers as a way to monetize their work. The developer needs to
      specifically request it. SourceForge gets a cut, so does the developer. The
      installer is their first stab at this process and is using the bundling
      technology from Ask.com. As offer-based installers go, this one is about as
      good as it gets. It makes a single offer and has an Accept and Decline
      button with the user selecting whichever one they want (not a pre-checked
      box accepting the offer above a Next/Continue button). If accepted, the
      installer installs the offered software and it gets a standard entry in
      Windows' Add/Remove Programs that works as expected. If declined, the
      installer continues. The installer then downloads the originally-requested
      software.
      The two issues with the current installer are that (1) it is served in
      place of the requested file with no indication that a substitution is made
      as the user downloads and (2) it requests admin rights before it starts
      downloading the software, which can be a security issue. Roberto (who
      posted the article) has stated that they are working on #1 in terms of the
      text shown on SourceForge as you select to download and download. As for
      #2, there may be some ways to rework the installer so this is not an issue.
      I'll mention it to him when I speak to him.
      SourceForge has one other revenue-share program with developers where you
      place the SourceForge-branded download buttons on your own website that
      link to your downloads on SourceForge and you get a small cut of the ad
      revenue made from the download page.
      If I recall correctly, SourceForge has been losing money for a few years
      now. Dice Holdings picked up SourceForge and Slashdot while Geek.com kept
      ThinkGeek.com, so they are now separate entities. These new experiments are
      attempts to get SourceForge to be self-sustaining/profitable. Ad revenue
      alone likely won't cut it.
      Unfortunately, Google Code, Github and others don't offer the full breadth
      of services that SourceForge does for open source projects. Google Code,
      Github, and others have all ditched binary downloads, so SourceForge is one
      of the only providers to make binary downloads available to Windows and Mac
      user at no charge. This is why SourceForge is popular for real apps
      (FileZilla, Pidgin, PortableApps.com, etc) and Github is popular for
      components (node.js, jquery, rails, etc). The code zips available at other
      providers are of no use to end users.
      As full disclosure, I run PortableApps.com, one of SourceForge's largest
      projects pushing quite a few TBs of downloads through their mirror network.
      We make use of the SF-branded download buttons revenue share program but do
      not make use of nor have any plans to use the "enhanced" installers.
      Everything I've discussed here is already publicly available, I just
      thought it would be handy to have in one place."
      After that post, it was pointed out to me that Github has added in the
      ability to host binaries, but I would wager they wouldn't take kindly to
      the kind of bandwidth that the major SF projects like PortableApps.com push
      through. I've also been in touch with Roberto who made the mentioned post
      on SourceForge about some suggestions and options including doing an open
      source installer that the end-user/sysadmin can verify before installing
      instead of it being a downloader installer with the offer built in but not
      the app you want.
      By JohnTHaller 6 hours ago
      ----------

      Anestis.

      On 28 August 2013 06:00, Stefan Radermacher <stefan@...> wrote:

      > Just read this:
      >
      > http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/
      >
      > Does this affect PCGen?
      >
      > Stefan
      >
      > --
      Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...
      - "In Numenera, players are not rewarded for slaying foes in combat, so
      using a smart idea to avoid combat and still succeed is just good play.
      Likewise, coming up with an idea to defeat a foe without hammering on it
      with weapons is encouraged - creativity is not cheating!"
      - Numenera Core RuleBook - Page 102