Forgotten Realms data using Pathfinder Core Rules

  • lcmgamer
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hi all. I'm new in the group and also a new pcgen user.
      My actual tabletop group plays the FR setting under the Pathfinder ruleset. When using PCGen, we wanted to create chars using some data from the FR setting (deities, regional feats and skills and regional languages), but using Pathfinder rules for everything else.

      I installed Pathfinder 6.0.1 but was unable to find any FR sources and after some research I learned that there's no such thing anymore bundled with PCGen. I also came to know CMP, but theres all those conversion problems involved, and the fact that I cannot buy it anymore.

      Since I dont think my problem is knew, I wanted to ask you guys whats the best approach to solve my problem. With my limited knowledge about pcgen, I think the best course of action to me is to create a homebrew dataset and include these options myself. But I will love to learn your opinions about it first.

      Thank you in advance for your time.
      LCMGamer
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013
        Welcome LCMGamer :)

        Yes the best way is to create your own hombrew datasets, you "can" find the FR datasets online if you do enough searching. But you'll have to do just as much editing on those to get them to work with Pathfinder that it really wouldn't be worth it.

        Here's some video's to help you get started.
        http://wiki.pcgen.org/Video_Lessons

        Here's text lessons
        http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
        Click on List Files > LST File Classe

        And join our group dedicated to making files

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013
          Hi LCMGamer,

          No this is definitely not a new issue. Quite honestly we still have people pop on asking to upgrade
          their personal sets both CMP and homebrew. I've spent many an hour coaching people on upgrading, or
          making their own versions.

          Well, Paul covered the basics. I'll add a few more...

          Entice a data monkey to help with harder items - usually they hang out on the pcgen file list help
          group. They can be a skittish bunch so don't hit them with more than one problem per post, otherwise
          you'll be waiting for one of the older slow ones (Like me) to respond.

          Become a master Data Monkey with years of insightful knowledge... Oh wait, that might take a bit too
          long. Seriously, learning the LST Code isn't too hard. Paul already listed the NEW videos I put
          together with the new user in mind, which compliments the documentation. I like the philosophy of
          teach a man to fish. Plus, if you can lst code, then you might donate time and sets to pcgen. (Ones
          we're allowed to make and use of course). If you find the videos helpful and want to have more let
          me know. I can toss a couple together each week. Gotta get the wife and kids out of the house to
          avoid frequent interruptions.

          Cheers,

          Andrew (Admin SB)

          On 8/19/2013 1:55 PM, lcmgamer wrote:
          > Hi all. I'm new in the group and also a new pcgen user.
          > My actual tabletop group plays the FR setting under the Pathfinder ruleset. When using PCGen, we wanted to create chars using some data from the FR setting (deities, regional feats and skills and regional languages), but using Pathfinder rules for everything else.
          >
          > I installed Pathfinder 6.0.1 but was unable to find any FR sources and after some research I learned that there's no such thing anymore bundled with PCGen. I also came to know CMP, but theres all those conversion problems involved, and the fact that I cannot buy it anymore.
          >
          > Since I dont think my problem is knew, I wanted to ask you guys whats the best approach to solve my problem. With my limited knowledge about pcgen, I think the best course of action to me is to create a homebrew dataset and include these options myself. But I will love to learn your opinions about it first.
          >
          > Thank you in advance for your time.
          > LCMGamer

        • lcmgamer
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
            You are right Paul, I already found it and decided to try the conversion one piece at a time, since converting the whole thing gave me too much errors.

            I was able to integrate the easiest lsts (Deities, Domains, Languages and Feats). I started with a 200k error log file and I´m now at 10k. Some of the errors will go away when I integrate the equipment lst and others I still have to research a solution.
            Since my initial plan is to do a light conversion, I will not integrate races and classes for now and after equipment, my next step will be spells.

            Thanks for the links, I will check then for sure.

            LCMGamer

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

            > Welcome LCMGamer :)
            >
            > Yes the best way is to create your own hombrew datasets, you "can" find the FR datasets online if you do enough searching. But you'll have to do just as much editing on those to get them to work with Pathfinder that it really wouldn't be worth it.
            >
            > Here's some video's to help you get started.
            > http://wiki.pcgen.org/Video_Lessons
            >
            > Here's text lessons
            > http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
            > Click on List Files > LST File Classe
            >
            > And join our group dedicated to making files
            >

            > > Since I dont think my problem is knew, I wanted to ask you guys whats the best approach to solve my problem. With my limited knowledge about pcgen, I think the best course of action to me is to create a homebrew dataset and include these options myself. But I will love to learn your opinions about it first.
            > >
            > > Thank you in advance for your time.
            > > LCMGamer

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
              The races and classes will be next to impossible because the underlying design process has changed since then. What with ability objects and a lot of the new code.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "lcmgamer" <lcmgamer@...> wrote:

              > You are right Paul, I already found it and decided to try the conversion one piece at a time, since converting the whole thing gave me too much errors.
              >
              > I was able to integrate the easiest lsts (Deities, Domains, Languages and Feats). I started with a 200k error log file and I´m now at 10k. Some of the errors will go away when I integrate the equipment lst and others I still have to research a solution.
              > Since my initial plan is to do a light conversion, I will not integrate races and classes for now and after equipment, my next step will be spells.
              >
              > Thanks for the links, I will check then for sure.
              >

              > LCMGamer
              >

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Welcome LCMGamer :)
              > >
              > > Yes the best way is to create your own hombrew datasets, you "can" find the FR datasets online if you do enough searching. But you'll have to do just as much editing on those to get them to work with Pathfinder that it really wouldn't be worth it.
              > >
              > > Here's some video's to help you get started.
              > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/Video_Lessons
              > >
              > > Here's text lessons
              > > http://pcgen.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
              > > Click on List Files > LST File Classe
              > >
              > > And join our group dedicated to making files
              > >

              > > > Since I dont think my problem is knew, I wanted to ask you guys whats the best approach to solve my problem. With my limited knowledge about pcgen, I think the best course of action to me is to create a homebrew dataset and include these options myself. But I will love to learn your opinions about it first.
              > > >
              > > > Thank you in advance for your time.
              > > > LCMGamer

            • Bahamut Dragon
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
                On 8/20/2013 3:51 PM, Paul wrote:

                > The races and classes will be next to impossible because the underlying design process has changed
                > since then. What with ability objects and a lot of the new code.

                I'd have to disagree mate. It'd be a bit of a hassle if you aren't familiar with the underlying
                principles involved, but a couple of pointers, and you'll be in business. Andrew gave me some great
                tips, but I'll say it is a massive project and probably well worth your time to just make the stuff
                you need yourself. I chose to adopt the remake it route, since I want to be proud of my
                accomplishments and verify what I have in place. It's a bit slow going if you don't have the time to
                spend on it. But I'm doing my hardest to get my gaming friends keen to do some lst coding. Maybe get
                them to collaborate in the grand effort. And it'd help even more if they'd stick with a system for
                more than two months! I can say PCGen supports the major d20 offerings and then some. Personal
                testimony here. We're even doing the D&D Next playtest with it.

                I'll tell you after making several books, it makes you appreciate the hard work these volunteers put
                in giving us all these free books. Support the publishers that support these guys and say thanks.

                Thanks mates, you're angels for us gamers!

                --
                ~BD
                https://github.com/BahamutDragon/pcgen
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Hi Andrew!

                  Yeah, I'm pretty interested on learning the inner workings of the data files. I like the power customization gives me and that's the main reason I didn't asked for converted files in my OP.
                  Its going better than I expected, but I'm yet to convert the really complex files like races, kits and classes. The kits file from CMPs FR implementation gave errors in almost every line when I tried to convert it... :D I'm pretty sure I will have to build it from scratch.

                  I feel that now is the time to take a break on LST crunshing and start reading the documentation. One of the things I loved is that the bundled datasets are all there in clear text, ready to be devoured by my hungry eyes.

                  LCM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
                    Hi LCM,

                    Asking for converted files is on the "naughty list" around here. That's a sure fire way to summon
                    moderator monkeys. Enjoy the reading and don't forget about the pcgen videos.

                    Cheers,