Trim down PCGen installation for USB use

  • venom9ka2
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013
      I recently started using PCGen once again for Pathfinder system. As I don't have a printer at home, I find myself carrying my characters on my USB thumb drive most of the time along with PCGen, in order to make any additional changes once I get to the office to print them. I notice that it loads fairly slowly from the USB drive and am wondering if I were to remove some of the other datasets that I don't use (nor likely never will), would that likely speed up the program?

      Other than removing datasets, any other suggestions anyone might have to help PCGen run quicker and lighter from a USB drive, would be welcome.

      Shawn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2013
        Hi Shawn,

        The speed is based upon how many sets it has to look at for initial start up, and then when it pulls
        all the files into memory for the books you load. The more books you load the slower things will be.

        Might I ask which version you're running on the usb? 6.01.4 should be faster due to significant
        improvements in the code. You might have better luck with the newer version.

        Cheers,

        On 7/25/2013 3:24 PM, venom9ka2 wrote:
        > I recently started using PCGen once again for Pathfinder system. As I don't have a printer at home, I find myself carrying my characters on my USB thumb drive most of the time along with PCGen, in order to make any additional changes once I get to the office to print them. I notice that it loads fairly slowly from the USB drive and am wondering if I were to remove some of the other datasets that I don't use (nor likely never will), would that likely speed up the program?
        >
        > Other than removing datasets, any other suggestions anyone might have to help PCGen run quicker and lighter from a USB drive, would be welcome.
        >
        > Shawn

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26, 2013
          It could be going from USB 3.0 to 1.0. Alternately you could just use the USB as transport and copy the directory to your work computer.