Re: [pcgen] Play testers and locating groups for PCGen users?

  • Eric Jarman
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
      Finding any simple forum+mailinglist that is not a commercial product (or
      commercially hosted) is difficult, to say the least.

    • John Amos
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
        Don't know how much use it would be but our club stuff is hosted bySimple machines forumIt does what we need including mailing list could someone who knows what's required take a look ?
        John

        To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
        From: eric.h.jarman@...
        Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:07:40 -0500
        Subject: Re: [pcgen] Play testers and locating groups for PCGen users?

        Finding any simple forum+mailinglist that is not a commercial product (or

        commercially hosted) is difficult, to say the least.

        On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Anestis Kozakis <kenosti@...> wrote:

        > Hi Eric,

        > We're avoiding MailMan because it is counter-intuitive for our purposes,

        > and annoying as hell to configure and maintain mailing lists.

        > We want a nice, elegant, simple-to-use system. MailMan was written by

        > programmers for programmers/system administrators with no thought to the

        > end-user in design. Amongst web-hosting circles, MailMan is derided as

        > being the worst way to implement mailing lists.

        > Regards,

        > Anestis.

        > On 10 July 2013 01:24, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

        > > Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the

        > same

        > > server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local

        > > email account.

        > > It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I

        > don't

        > > remember it being terribly difficult.

        > > (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)

        > > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

        > > > Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be

        > yahoo

        > > > groups.

        > [snip]

        > > > component

        > http://mlmmj.org/

        > > ),

        > > have a

        > > > https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization

        > Anestis.

        > --

        > Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

        > PCGen List File Help:

      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
          On 10 July 2013 17:58, John Amos <HaveDice@...> wrote:

          > Don't know how much use it would be but our club stuff is hosted bySimple
          > machines forumIt does what we need including mailing list could someone who
          > knows what's required take a look ?
          > John

          Hi John,

          thanks for the suggestion, but I checked SMF and the Mailing List Addon.
          Not of use to us as there is a security issue with the Mailing List Mod:

          DISCLAIMERS:
          ** This mod does not check for email spoofing when matching addresses
          to existing members. It is designed for smaller forum communities where
          this is less likely to be an issue.

          Unfortunately, this rules out SMF for us.

          Anestis.

          --
          Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

        • Eric Jarman
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
            It's too bad Nabble hasn't released their source code, like they mentioned
            doing 2 years ago. Their site description reads almost like a wishlist for
            the board+mail integration project.