Re: [pcgen] Play testers and locating groups for PCGen users?

  • Anestis Kozakis
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2013
      Not really, just a headache of trying to decipher installation instructions.

      I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than necessary. I'm sure everyone
      wants to move away from Yahoo Groups, but forum/mailing integration may
      just be too difficult.

      I was looking at GroupServer (http://groupserver.org/) initially, but
      installation instructions are sparse, especially with regards to running on
      a CentOS/cPanel server like we have.

      Other alternatives are mailing lists which have a web interface component
      (better than nothing). Two of the leading candidates are sympa (
      http://www.sympa.org/overview/features) and mlmmj (http://mlmmj.org/),
      neither of which has screenshots of the web interface. Syma does have a
      demo version running on their website, but I have yet to test it.

      Anestis.

      Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
        On 7/7/2013 2:25 AM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
        > Not really, just a headache of trying to decipher installation instructions.
        >
        > I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than necessary. I'm sure everyone
        > wants to move away from Yahoo Groups, but forum/mailing integration may
        > just be too difficult.
        >
        > I was looking at GroupServer (http://groupserver.org/) initially, but
        > installation instructions are sparse, especially with regards to running on
        > a CentOS/cPanel server like we have.
        >
        > Other alternatives are mailing lists which have a web interface component
        > (better than nothing). Two of the leading candidates are sympa (
        > http://www.sympa.org/overview/features) and mlmmj (http://mlmmj.org/),
        > neither of which has screenshots of the web interface. Syma does have a
        > demo version running on their website, but I have yet to test it.

        I posted a note on groupserver, see if they can answer any questions.

        Hey, I came across this - https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization

        Under this: https://doc.tiki.org/Features

        Looks promising as well.

        Thoughts?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
          Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be yahoo groups.

          On 7/8/2013 5:30 PM, Andrew wrote:

          > On 7/7/2013 2:25 AM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
          >> Not really, just a headache of trying to decipher installation instructions.
          >>
          >> I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than necessary. I'm sure everyone
          >> wants to move away from Yahoo Groups, but forum/mailing integration may
          >> just be too difficult.
          >>
          >> I was looking at GroupServer (http://groupserver.org/) initially, but
          >> installation instructions are sparse, especially with regards to running on
          >> a CentOS/cPanel server like we have.
          >>
          >> Other alternatives are mailing lists which have a web interface component
          >> (better than nothing). Two of the leading candidates are sympa (
          >> http://www.sympa.org/overview/features) and mlmmj (http://mlmmj.org/),
          >> neither of which has screenshots of the web interface. Syma does have a
          >> demo version running on their website, but I have yet to test it.
          >
          > I posted a note on groupserver, see if they can answer any questions.
          >
          > Hey, I came across this - https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization
          >
          > Under this: https://doc.tiki.org/Features
          >
          > Looks promising as well.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >

          >> Anestis.
          >>

          >> On 7 July 2013 15:17, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> Anestis, anything I can do to help?

          >>> make

          >>> can.
          >>> webserver

          >>> the

          >>> as

          >>> an

          >>> months

          >>> of
          >>> take

          >>> http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links

          >>> PCGen List File Help:

          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eric Jarman
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
            Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the same
            server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local
            email account.

            It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I don't
            remember it being terribly difficult.
            (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)

          • Anestis Kozakis
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
              Hi Eric,

              We're avoiding MailMan because it is counter-intuitive for our purposes,
              and annoying as hell to configure and maintain mailing lists.

              We want a nice, elegant, simple-to-use system. MailMan was written by
              programmers for programmers/system administrators with no thought to the
              end-user in design. Amongst web-hosting circles, MailMan is derided as
              being the worst way to implement mailing lists.

              Regards,

              Anestis.

              On 10 July 2013 01:24, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

              > Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the same
              > server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local
              > email account.
              >
              > It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I don't
              > remember it being terribly difficult.
              > (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)
              >

              > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be yahoo
              > > groups.
              >

              > > On 7/8/2013 5:30 PM, Andrew wrote:
              > > >
              > > > On 7/7/2013 2:25 AM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:

              [snip]

              > > component
              > ),
              > have a
              > > >
              > > > I posted a note on groupserver, see if they can answer any questions.
              > > >
              > > > Hey, I came across this -
              > > https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization
              > > >
              > > > Under this: https://doc.tiki.org/Features
              > > >
              > > > Looks promising as well.
              > > >
              > > > Thoughts?

              Anestis.
              --
              Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013
                Finding any simple forum+mailinglist that is not a commercial product (or
                commercially hosted) is difficult, to say the least.

              • John Amos
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                  Don't know how much use it would be but our club stuff is hosted bySimple machines forumIt does what we need including mailing list could someone who knows what's required take a look ?
                  John

                  To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
                  From: eric.h.jarman@...
                  Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:07:40 -0500
                  Subject: Re: [pcgen] Play testers and locating groups for PCGen users?

                  Finding any simple forum+mailinglist that is not a commercial product (or

                  commercially hosted) is difficult, to say the least.

                  On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Anestis Kozakis <kenosti@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Eric,

                  > We're avoiding MailMan because it is counter-intuitive for our purposes,

                  > and annoying as hell to configure and maintain mailing lists.

                  > We want a nice, elegant, simple-to-use system. MailMan was written by

                  > programmers for programmers/system administrators with no thought to the

                  > end-user in design. Amongst web-hosting circles, MailMan is derided as

                  > being the worst way to implement mailing lists.

                  > Regards,

                  > Anestis.

                  > On 10 July 2013 01:24, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

                  > > Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the

                  > same

                  > > server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local

                  > > email account.

                  > > It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I

                  > don't

                  > > remember it being terribly difficult.

                  > > (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)

                  > > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

                  > > > Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be

                  > yahoo

                  > > > groups.

                  > [snip]

                  > > > component

                  > http://mlmmj.org/

                  > > ),

                  > > have a

                  > > > https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization

                  > Anestis.

                  > --

                  > Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

                  > PCGen List File Help:

                • Anestis Kozakis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                    On 10 July 2013 17:58, John Amos <HaveDice@...> wrote:

                    > Don't know how much use it would be but our club stuff is hosted bySimple
                    > machines forumIt does what we need including mailing list could someone who
                    > knows what's required take a look ?
                    > John

                    Hi John,

                    thanks for the suggestion, but I checked SMF and the Mailing List Addon.
                    Not of use to us as there is a security issue with the Mailing List Mod:

                    DISCLAIMERS:
                    ** This mod does not check for email spoofing when matching addresses
                    to existing members. It is designed for smaller forum communities where
                    this is less likely to be an issue.

                    Unfortunately, this rules out SMF for us.

                    Anestis.

                    --
                    Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

                  • Eric Jarman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
                      It's too bad Nabble hasn't released their source code, like they mentioned
                      doing 2 years ago. Their site description reads almost like a wishlist for
                      the board+mail integration project.