Play testers and locating groups for PCGen users?

  • Bahamut Dragon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 6 9:22 PM
      Hi fellow gamers,

      I was curious, is there anything in the way to help PCGen members find other like-minded players for
      gaming, or play-testing home brews creations? I've been making a bunch of sets, but my table top
      group only meets infrequently, so getting feed back or hooking up with new players would be
      beneficial. Something like what they do at meetup.com or penandpapergames.com. Also, I've seen
      mention of a forum in the board meeting notes, but I can't find it. Is this still in the works and
      do you know when it will be up?

      I've set up my own yahoo group for my personal gang, but was curious if PCGen had plans to make this
      an easier process. Or if I'm missing something, please let me know.

      Thanks mates,
      --
      ~BD
      https://github.com/BahamutDragon/pcgen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6 9:46 PM
        Hi BD,

        On 7/6/2013 9:22 PM, Bahamut Dragon wrote:
        > Hi fellow gamers,
        >
        > I was curious, is there anything in the way to help PCGen members find other like-minded players for
        > gaming, or play-testing home brews creations? I've been making a bunch of sets, but my table top
        > group only meets infrequently, so getting feed back or hooking up with new players would be
        > beneficial. Something like what they do at meetup.com or penandpapergames.com. Also, I've seen
        > mention of a forum in the board meeting notes, but I can't find it. Is this still in the works and
        > do you know when it will be up?

        Anestis is working on the forum, I haven't heard from him regarding this recently. I do know we're
        being careful so we don't disrupt our other mission critical services.

        We might put a section in the forum for PCGen gamers to do meet & greet, and possibly do their own
        games. I haven't put too much thought beyond the fact having a central spot to talk would be nice.
        Our biggest issue has been the mailing list integration, as many of our users (Myself included) rely
        heavily on the mailing list. Surfing a forum is a time sink for me, and as the head help desk monkey
        that's a shame. But if I get emails, I can promptly respond.

        > I've set up my own yahoo group for my personal gang, but was curious if PCGen had plans to make this
        > an easier process. Or if I'm missing something, please let me know.

        We're always open to suggestions. Hopefully Anestis is close to having an operational forum for us.

        > Thanks mates,

      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 6 10:13 PM
          On 7 July 2013 14:46, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

          > Hi BD,
          >
          > On 7/6/2013 9:22 PM, Bahamut Dragon wrote:
          > > Hi fellow gamers,
          > >
          > > I was curious, is there anything in the way to help PCGen members find
          > other like-minded players for
          > > gaming, or play-testing home brews creations? I've been making a bunch
          > of sets, but my table top
          > > group only meets infrequently, so getting feed back or hooking up with
          > new players would be
          > > beneficial. Something like what they do at meetup.com or
          > penandpapergames.com. Also, I've seen
          > > mention of a forum in the board meeting notes, but I can't find it. Is
          > this still in the works and
          > > do you know when it will be up?
          >
          > Anestis is working on the forum, I haven't heard from him regarding this
          > recently. I do know we're
          > being careful so we don't disrupt our other mission critical services.

          pcgen.org is just one domain/website running on the server. I have to make
          sure that whatever happens, nothing interferes with the running of the
          other websites (my other customers).

          Running the webserver is also a hobby of mine, and I work on it when I can.
          Like all things, it's a volunteer thing, and I can't access the webserver
          from work either so can't do anything during the day if I happen to have a
          spare few minutes.

          I could slap a bog-standard forum like phpBB of vBulletin right now, but
          that doesn't solve our issue of wanting to have e-mail integration with the
          forum, so people who like forums can post via the forum, and people who
          like e-mail lists can post via e-mail, and everyone gets the same
          information.

          > We might put a section in the forum for PCGen gamers to do meet & greet,
          > and possibly do their own
          > games. I haven't put too much thought beyond the fact having a central
          > spot to talk would be nice.
          > Our biggest issue has been the mailing list integration, as many of our
          > users (Myself included) rely
          > heavily on the mailing list. Surfing a forum is a time sink for me, and as
          > the head help desk monkey
          > that's a shame. But if I get emails, I can promptly respond.
          >

          > > I've set up my own yahoo group for my personal gang, but was curious if
          > PCGen had plans to make this
          > > an easier process. Or if I'm missing something, please let me know.
          >
          > We're always open to suggestions. Hopefully Anestis is close to having an
          > operational forum for us.

          Sorry Andrew. There's no close about it. We're anywhere from three months
          to a year away, depending on the complexity of the back-end configuration
          that needs to be done to bridge e-mail and forum.

          We've only just got the website up and running after two years (or more) of
          tinkering and decision making and testing. Hopefully, the forum won't take
          as long, but it will take time.

          > > Thanks mates,
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > --
          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          Anestis.
          Web 2nd.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6 10:17 PM
            Anestis, anything I can do to help?

            On 7/6/2013 10:13 PM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
> [...]
            >> users (Myself included) rely
            >> heavily on the mailing list. Surfing a forum is a time sink for me, and as
            >> the head help desk monkey
            >> that's a shame. But if I get emails, I can promptly respond.
            >>

            >>> I've set up my own yahoo group for my personal gang, but was curious if
            >> PCGen had plans to make this
            >>> an easier process. Or if I'm missing something, please let me know.
            >>
            >> We're always open to suggestions. Hopefully Anestis is close to having an
            >> operational forum for us.
            >>

            > Sorry Andrew. There's no close about it. We're anywhere from three months
            > to a year away, depending on the complexity of the back-end configuration
            > that needs to be done to bridge e-mail and forum.
            >
            > We've only just got the website up and running after two years (or more) of
            > tinkering and decision making and testing. Hopefully, the forum won't take

          • Anestis Kozakis
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7 2:25 AM
              Not really, just a headache of trying to decipher installation instructions.

              I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than necessary. I'm sure everyone
              wants to move away from Yahoo Groups, but forum/mailing integration may
              just be too difficult.

              I was looking at GroupServer (http://groupserver.org/) initially, but
              installation instructions are sparse, especially with regards to running on
              a CentOS/cPanel server like we have.

              Other alternatives are mailing lists which have a web interface component
              (better than nothing). Two of the leading candidates are sympa (
              http://www.sympa.org/overview/features) and mlmmj (http://mlmmj.org/),
              neither of which has screenshots of the web interface. Syma does have a
              demo version running on their website, but I have yet to test it.

              Anestis.

              Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 8 5:30 PM
                On 7/7/2013 2:25 AM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
                > Not really, just a headache of trying to decipher installation instructions.
                >
                > I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than necessary. I'm sure everyone
                > wants to move away from Yahoo Groups, but forum/mailing integration may
                > just be too difficult.
                >
                > I was looking at GroupServer (http://groupserver.org/) initially, but
                > installation instructions are sparse, especially with regards to running on
                > a CentOS/cPanel server like we have.
                >
                > Other alternatives are mailing lists which have a web interface component
                > (better than nothing). Two of the leading candidates are sympa (
                > http://www.sympa.org/overview/features) and mlmmj (http://mlmmj.org/),
                > neither of which has screenshots of the web interface. Syma does have a
                > demo version running on their website, but I have yet to test it.

                I posted a note on groupserver, see if they can answer any questions.

                Hey, I came across this - https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization

                Under this: https://doc.tiki.org/Features

                Looks promising as well.

                Thoughts?

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8 5:38 PM
                  Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be yahoo groups.

                  On 7/8/2013 5:30 PM, Andrew wrote:

                  > On 7/7/2013 2:25 AM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
                  >> Not really, just a headache of trying to decipher installation instructions.
                  >>
                  >> I'm beginning to think it's more trouble than necessary. I'm sure everyone
                  >> wants to move away from Yahoo Groups, but forum/mailing integration may
                  >> just be too difficult.
                  >>
                  >> I was looking at GroupServer (http://groupserver.org/) initially, but
                  >> installation instructions are sparse, especially with regards to running on
                  >> a CentOS/cPanel server like we have.
                  >>
                  >> Other alternatives are mailing lists which have a web interface component
                  >> (better than nothing). Two of the leading candidates are sympa (
                  >> http://www.sympa.org/overview/features) and mlmmj (http://mlmmj.org/),
                  >> neither of which has screenshots of the web interface. Syma does have a
                  >> demo version running on their website, but I have yet to test it.
                  >
                  > I posted a note on groupserver, see if they can answer any questions.
                  >
                  > Hey, I came across this - https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization
                  >
                  > Under this: https://doc.tiki.org/Features
                  >
                  > Looks promising as well.
                  >
                  > Thoughts?
                  >

                  >> Anestis.
                  >>

                  >> On 7 July 2013 15:17, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Anestis, anything I can do to help?

                  >>> make

                  >>> can.
                  >>> webserver

                  >>> the

                  >>> as

                  >>> an

                  >>> months

                  >>> of
                  >>> take

                  >>> http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links

                  >>> PCGen List File Help:

                  >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Eric Jarman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 9 8:24 AM
                    Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the same
                    server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local
                    email account.

                    It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I don't
                    remember it being terribly difficult.
                    (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)

                  • Anestis Kozakis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 9 1:25 PM
                      Hi Eric,

                      We're avoiding MailMan because it is counter-intuitive for our purposes,
                      and annoying as hell to configure and maintain mailing lists.

                      We want a nice, elegant, simple-to-use system. MailMan was written by
                      programmers for programmers/system administrators with no thought to the
                      end-user in design. Amongst web-hosting circles, MailMan is derided as
                      being the worst way to implement mailing lists.

                      Regards,

                      Anestis.

                      On 10 July 2013 01:24, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

                      > Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the same
                      > server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local
                      > email account.
                      >
                      > It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I don't
                      > remember it being terribly difficult.
                      > (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)
                      >

                      > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be yahoo
                      > > groups.
                      >

                      > > On 7/8/2013 5:30 PM, Andrew wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > On 7/7/2013 2:25 AM, Anestis Kozakis wrote:

                      [snip]

                      > > component
                      > ),
                      > have a
                      > > >
                      > > > I posted a note on groupserver, see if they can answer any questions.
                      > > >
                      > > > Hey, I came across this -
                      > > https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization
                      > > >
                      > > > Under this: https://doc.tiki.org/Features
                      > > >
                      > > > Looks promising as well.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thoughts?

                      Anestis.
                      --
                      Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 9 3:07 PM
                        Finding any simple forum+mailinglist that is not a commercial product (or
                        commercially hosted) is difficult, to say the least.

                      • John Amos
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 10 12:58 AM
                          Don't know how much use it would be but our club stuff is hosted bySimple machines forumIt does what we need including mailing list could someone who knows what's required take a look ?
                          John

                          To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
                          From: eric.h.jarman@...
                          Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:07:40 -0500
                          Subject: Re: [pcgen] Play testers and locating groups for PCGen users?

                          Finding any simple forum+mailinglist that is not a commercial product (or

                          commercially hosted) is difficult, to say the least.

                          On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Anestis Kozakis <kenosti@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Eric,

                          > We're avoiding MailMan because it is counter-intuitive for our purposes,

                          > and annoying as hell to configure and maintain mailing lists.

                          > We want a nice, elegant, simple-to-use system. MailMan was written by

                          > programmers for programmers/system administrators with no thought to the

                          > end-user in design. Amongst web-hosting circles, MailMan is derided as

                          > being the worst way to implement mailing lists.

                          > Regards,

                          > Anestis.

                          > On 10 July 2013 01:24, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

                          > > Though, it says it also supports mailman, which could be set up on the

                          > same

                          > > server along with postfix. Just needs POP access (dovecot) for a local

                          > > email account.

                          > > It's been a few years since the last time I configured mailman, but I

                          > don't

                          > > remember it being terribly difficult.

                          > > (The difficult part is locking down all the spam filters in postfix.)

                          > > On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

                          > > > Disregard, I missed the part where the Mailing list would still be

                          > yahoo

                          > > > groups.

                          > [snip]

                          > > > component

                          > http://mlmmj.org/

                          > > ),

                          > > have a

                          > > > https://doc.tiki.org/Forum+and+Mailing+List+Synchronization

                          > Anestis.

                          > --

                          > Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

                          > PCGen List File Help:

                        • Anestis Kozakis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 10 4:40 AM
                            On 10 July 2013 17:58, John Amos <HaveDice@...> wrote:

                            > Don't know how much use it would be but our club stuff is hosted bySimple
                            > machines forumIt does what we need including mailing list could someone who
                            > knows what's required take a look ?
                            > John

                            Hi John,

                            thanks for the suggestion, but I checked SMF and the Mailing List Addon.
                            Not of use to us as there is a security issue with the Mailing List Mod:

                            DISCLAIMERS:
                            ** This mod does not check for email spoofing when matching addresses
                            to existing members. It is designed for smaller forum communities where
                            this is less likely to be an issue.

                            Unfortunately, this rules out SMF for us.

                            Anestis.

                            --
                            Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@...

                          • Eric Jarman
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 10 7:08 AM
                              It's too bad Nabble hasn't released their source code, like they mentioned
                              doing 2 years ago. Their site description reads almost like a wishlist for
                              the board+mail integration project.