Re: Wild Shape Templates Inappropriately Changing HP

  • jimwschuler
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
      You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph anymore: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

      From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm
      Wild Shape (Su)

      At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.

      From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
      Alternate Form

      ...The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.

> [...]
      > and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous
      > two-weapon attacks) than normal.
      > You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under
      > physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing,
      > regeneration, scent, and so forth.
      > You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the
      > new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You
      > cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn�t change the
      > creature type or subtype.
      > You can freely designate the new form�s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture,
      > and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form�s significant
      > physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must
      > fall within the norms for the new form�s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of
      > the new form�s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your
      > Disguise check.
      > When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it
      > is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.
      > When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the
      > same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you
      > wore in the assumed form and can�t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that
      > you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion
      > are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from
      > the whole reverts to its true form.
      >

      > I'm not seeing anything in there that your HP remains the same.
      >
      > On 6/21/2013 8:13 AM, Andrew wrote:
      > > I need a specific citation before I putz around with the wildshape... Wildshape alters your Physical
      > > Stats, so I'll need to see the rule where it excludes the HP. (Limited free time sadly, I'm working
      > > on fumes right now).
      > >
      > > On 6/21/2013 8:01 AM, jimwschuler wrote:
      > >> I've noticed that all the wild shape templates in 6.00.0 under srd35 are recalculating the character's HP, contra the alternate form ability wild shape is based on ("the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.")
      > >>
      > >> It's an easy fix (just throw BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|TL*((CONSCORE.BASE-<Wild shape's Con score here>)/2) somewhere), but doesn't seem right that I need to create a lst file to MOD the entries to make PCGen follow the rules.

    • jimwschuler
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
        You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

        From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm

        From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
        Alternate Form

        ...The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability score

        And I hope this doesn't turn into a double post...

> [...]
        >

        > I'm not seeing anything in there that your HP remains the same.
        >
        > On 6/21/2013 8:13 AM, Andrew wrote:
        > > I need a specific citation before I putz around with the wildshape... Wildshape alters your Physical
        > > Stats, so I'll need to see the rule where it excludes the HP. (Limited free time sadly, I'm working
        > > on fumes right now).
        > >
        > > On 6/21/2013 8:01 AM, jimwschuler wrote:
        > >> I've noticed that all the wild shape templates in 6.00.0 under srd35 are recalculating the character's HP, contra the alternate form ability wild shape is based on ("the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.")
        > >>
        > >> It's an easy fix (just throw BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|TL*((CONSCORE.BASE-<Wild shape's Con score here>)/2) somewhere), but doesn't seem right that I need to create a lst file to MOD the entries to make PCGen follow the rules.

      • Stefan Radermacher
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
          On 21.06.2013 18:27, jimwschuler wrote:
          > You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph.
          > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

          The problem with these errata is that most of them were never integrated
          into Wizards of the Coast's System Reference Document files, and thus,
          strictly speaking, are not Open Gaming Content.

          The people responsible for the site d20srd.org, whoch is not associated
          with Wizards of the Coast, have been known to take a looser look at the
          policy regarding these errata, and the have on occasion updated their
          site to include them.

          However, only the original System Reference Document files from Wizards
          of the Coast define Open Gaming Content, and we at PCGen have so far had
          the policy not to include something where we cannot be sure that it is
          Open Gaming Content.

          Regards,
          Stefan.
        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
            Hi Folks!

            To add to what Stefan said, the PCGen PL team contacted WotC just prior to the release of 4e to see if they were planning to incorporate the errata into the SRD and we were told not likely.

            Maredudd

            On Jun 21, 2013, at 6:54 PM, Stefan Radermacher <stefan@...> wrote:

            > On 21.06.2013 18:27, jimwschuler wrote:
            > > You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph.
            > > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a
            >
            > The problem with these errata is that most of them were never integrated
            > into Wizards of the Coast's System Reference Document files, and thus,
            > strictly speaking, are not Open Gaming Content.
            >
            > The people responsible for the site d20srd.org, whoch is not associated
            > with Wizards of the Coast, have been known to take a looser look at the
            > policy regarding these errata, and the have on occasion updated their
            > site to include them.
            >
            > However, only the original System Reference Document files from Wizards
            > of the Coast define Open Gaming Content, and we at PCGen have so far had
            > the policy not to include something where we cannot be sure that it is
            > Open Gaming Content.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Stefan.

          • osrwol1972
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
              Hi guys.
              First post. Love the program. I'm with schuler on the template /errata change. Even if wotc doesn't change their side. Can you provide Jim a location to upload a "custom" ver for those that would like to add it to their campaigns. Then we as individuals can continue the customization to help the PCGen community.

              Kevin.
              Osrwol1
              Berwyn gaming group on meetup

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
                Hi Kevin,

                I can adjust the code on this side to be modified by homebrew users, but having anyone upload
                "custom" code that doesn't follow the released materials is walking into a very gray area that the
                PCGen Board of Directors does not feel comfortable walking into.

                Sorry if that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I've got to follow what WotC released in
                their R/M/SRD and the errata wasn't included.

                Anyways, I'm happy to supply the code you'd need for your own sets to make this work.

                Cheers,

                On 6/27/2013 10:52 AM, osrwol1@... wrote:
                > Hi guys.
                > First post. Love the program. I'm with schuler on the template /errata change. Even if wotc doesn't change their side. Can you provide Jim a location to upload a "custom" ver for those that would like to add it to their campaigns. Then we as individuals can continue the customization to help the PCGen community.
                >
                > Kevin.
                > Osrwol1
                > Berwyn gaming group on meetup

              • osrwol1972
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
                  Excellent

                  I can adjust the code on this side to be modified by homebrew users, but having anyone upload
                  "custom" code that doesn't follow the released materials is walking into a very gray area that the
                  PCGen Board of Directors does not feel comfortable walking into.

                  Sorry if that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I've got to follow what WotC released in
                  their R/M/SRD and the errata wasn't included.

                  Anyways, I'm happy to supply the code you'd need for your own sets to make this work.

                  Cheers,

                  On 6/27/2013 10:52 AM, osrwol1@... wrote:
                  > Hi guys.
                  > First post. Love the program. I'm with schuler on the template /errata change. Even if wotc doesn't change their side. Can you provide Jim a location to upload a "custom" ver for those that would like to add it to their campaigns. Then we as individuals can continue the customization to help the PCGen community.
                  >
                  > Kevin.
                  > Osrwol1
                  > Berwyn gaming group on meetup

                • FerretDave
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                    Greetings,

                    Would it make that grey area slightly 'whiter' if the instructions to add the errata were covered in one of the lessons? So we'd not be sharing the errata'd code, just showing how people can do it themselves?

                    I'd like to have a copy of the fix too please :-)

                    Cheers
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                      It all depends on the wording and intent of a lesson. Considering I'm dead tired after a nasty 24
                      hours of work, I'm not up to answering the question in full or competently. (I'm surprised I'm able
                      to compose this email).

                      When I wake up, the first task I have planned is the directory restructure. After that, I'll toss
                      together the alternative code.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 4, 2013
                        Apparently Bahamut Dragon has offered a solution, which I'll implement - leaving the final piece to
                        the homebrewers.

                        Plug this in and you'll be good to go:

                        BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|-TL*(WildShapeConsititution/2)

                        Cheers,