Re: [pcgen] Wild Shape Templates Inappropriately Changing HP

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
      I need a specific citation before I putz around with the wildshape... Wildshape alters your Physical
      Stats, so I'll need to see the rule where it excludes the HP. (Limited free time sadly, I'm working
      on fumes right now).

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
        And here is the RSRD entry:

        Wild Shape (Su): At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium
        animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal
        type. This ability functions like the polymorph spell, except as noted here. The effect lasts for 1
        hour per druid level, or until she changes back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard
        action and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.
        The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with.
        A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is limited to the sounds that a
        normal, untrained animal can make, but she can communicate normally with other animals of the same
        general grouping as her new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to
        this form does not permit speech.)
        A druid can use this ability more times per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, as noted on
        Table: The Druid. In addition, she gains the ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 8th
        level, a Tiny animal at 11th level, and a Huge animal at 15th level.
        The new form’s Hit Dice can’t exceed the character’s druid level.
        At 12th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a plant creature with the same
        size restrictions as for animal forms. (A druid can’t use this ability to take the form of a plant
        that isn’t a creature.)
        At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a Small, Medium, or Large
        elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per day. These elemental forms are in addition to her
        normal wild shape usage. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains all the
        elemental’s extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. She also gains the elemental’s
        feats for as long as she maintains the wild shape, but she retains her own creature type.
        At 18th level, a druid becomes able to assume elemental form twice per day, and at 20th level she
        can do so three times per day. At 20th level, a druid may use this wild shape ability to change into
        a Huge elemental.

        And here is the Polymorph entry:
        This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form
        of living creature. The new form may be of the same type as the subject or any of the following
        types: aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, ooze,
        plant, or vermin. The assumed form can’t have more Hit Dice than your caster level (or the subject’s
        HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level. You can’t cause a subject to assume a
        form smaller than Fine, nor can you cause a subject to assume an incorporeal or gaseous form. The
        subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form.
        Upon changing, the subject regains lost hit points as if it had rested for a night (though this
        healing does not restore temporary ability damage and provide other benefits of resting; and
        changing back does not heal the subject further). If slain, the subject reverts to its original
        form, though it remains dead.
        The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its
        own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. It also gains all extraordinary special attacks
        possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new
        form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.
        Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to being polymorphed, and a creature with the
        shapechanger subtype can revert to its natural form as a standard action.
        Material Component: An empty cocoon.

        And here is Alter Self Spell entry:
        You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within
        one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster
        level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into
        yourself.
        You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus,
        and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special
        attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form
        does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).
        You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any
        from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.
        If the new form is capable of speech, you can communicate normally. You retain any spellcasting
        ability you had in your original form, but the new form must be able to speak intelligibly (that is,
        speak a language) to use verbal components and must have limbs capable of fine manipulation to use
        somatic or material components.
        You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities
        include natural size, mundane movement capabilities (such as burrowing, climbing, walking, swimming,
        and flight with wings, to a maximum speed of 120 feet for flying or 60 feet for nonflying movement),
        natural armor bonus, natural weapons (such as claws, bite, and so on), racial skill bonuses, racial
        bonus feats, and any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities,
        and so forth). A body with extra limbs does not allow you to make more attacks (or more advantageous
        two-weapon attacks) than normal.
        You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under
        physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing,
        regeneration, scent, and so forth.
        You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the
        new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You
        cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the
        creature type or subtype.
        You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture,
        and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant
        physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must
        fall within the norms for the new form’s kind. You are effectively disguised as an average member of
        the new form’s race. If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on your
        Disguise check.
        When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it
        is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.
        When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the
        same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you
        wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that
        you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion
        are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from
        the whole reverts to its true form.

        I'm not seeing anything in there that your HP remains the same.

        On 6/21/2013 8:13 AM, Andrew wrote:
        > I need a specific citation before I putz around with the wildshape... Wildshape alters your Physical
        > Stats, so I'll need to see the rule where it excludes the HP. (Limited free time sadly, I'm working
        > on fumes right now).
        >
        > On 6/21/2013 8:01 AM, jimwschuler wrote:
        >> I've noticed that all the wild shape templates in 6.00.0 under srd35 are recalculating the character's HP, contra the alternate form ability wild shape is based on ("the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.")
        >>
        >> It's an easy fix (just throw BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|TL*((CONSCORE.BASE-<Wild shape's Con score here>)/2) somewhere), but doesn't seem right that I need to create a lst file to MOD the entries to make PCGen follow the rules.

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jimwschuler
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
          You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph anymore: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

          From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm
          Wild Shape (Su)

          At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability, except as noted here.

          From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
          Alternate Form

          ...The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability scores.

> [...]
          >

          > I'm not seeing anything in there that your HP remains the same.
          >
          > On 6/21/2013 8:13 AM, Andrew wrote:
          > > I need a specific citation before I putz around with the wildshape... Wildshape alters your Physical
          > > Stats, so I'll need to see the rule where it excludes the HP. (Limited free time sadly, I'm working
          > > on fumes right now).
          > >
          > > On 6/21/2013 8:01 AM, jimwschuler wrote:
          > >> I've noticed that all the wild shape templates in 6.00.0 under srd35 are recalculating the character's HP, contra the alternate form ability wild shape is based on ("the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.")
          > >>
          > >> It's an easy fix (just throw BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|TL*((CONSCORE.BASE-<Wild shape's Con score here>)/2) somewhere), but doesn't seem right that I need to create a lst file to MOD the entries to make PCGen follow the rules.

        • jimwschuler
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
            You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

            From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm

            From http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm
            Alternate Form

            ...The creature retains its hit points and save bonuses, although its save modifiers may change due to a change in ability score

            And I hope this doesn't turn into a double post...

> [...]
            >

            > I'm not seeing anything in there that your HP remains the same.
            >
            > On 6/21/2013 8:13 AM, Andrew wrote:
            > > I need a specific citation before I putz around with the wildshape... Wildshape alters your Physical
            > > Stats, so I'll need to see the rule where it excludes the HP. (Limited free time sadly, I'm working
            > > on fumes right now).
            > >
            > > On 6/21/2013 8:01 AM, jimwschuler wrote:
            > >> I've noticed that all the wild shape templates in 6.00.0 under srd35 are recalculating the character's HP, contra the alternate form ability wild shape is based on ("the creature retains the hit points of its original form despite any change to its Constitution.")
            > >>
            > >> It's an easy fix (just throw BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|TL*((CONSCORE.BASE-<Wild shape's Con score here>)/2) somewhere), but doesn't seem right that I need to create a lst file to MOD the entries to make PCGen follow the rules.

          • Stefan Radermacher
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
              On 21.06.2013 18:27, jimwschuler wrote:
              > You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph.
              > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

              The problem with these errata is that most of them were never integrated
              into Wizards of the Coast's System Reference Document files, and thus,
              strictly speaking, are not Open Gaming Content.

              The people responsible for the site d20srd.org, whoch is not associated
              with Wizards of the Coast, have been known to take a looser look at the
              policy regarding these errata, and the have on occasion updated their
              site to include them.

              However, only the original System Reference Document files from Wizards
              of the Coast define Open Gaming Content, and we at PCGen have so far had
              the policy not to include something where we cannot be sure that it is
              Open Gaming Content.

              Regards,
              Stefan.
            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
                Hi Folks!

                To add to what Stefan said, the PCGen PL team contacted WotC just prior to the release of 4e to see if they were planning to incorporate the errata into the SRD and we were told not likely.

                Maredudd

                On Jun 21, 2013, at 6:54 PM, Stefan Radermacher <stefan@...> wrote:

                > On 21.06.2013 18:27, jimwschuler wrote:
                > > You are missing errata. Wild shape has nothing to do with polymorph.
                > > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a
                >
                > The problem with these errata is that most of them were never integrated
                > into Wizards of the Coast's System Reference Document files, and thus,
                > strictly speaking, are not Open Gaming Content.
                >
                > The people responsible for the site d20srd.org, whoch is not associated
                > with Wizards of the Coast, have been known to take a looser look at the
                > policy regarding these errata, and the have on occasion updated their
                > site to include them.
                >
                > However, only the original System Reference Document files from Wizards
                > of the Coast define Open Gaming Content, and we at PCGen have so far had
                > the policy not to include something where we cannot be sure that it is
                > Open Gaming Content.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Stefan.

              • osrwol1972
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
                  Hi guys.
                  First post. Love the program. I'm with schuler on the template /errata change. Even if wotc doesn't change their side. Can you provide Jim a location to upload a "custom" ver for those that would like to add it to their campaigns. Then we as individuals can continue the customization to help the PCGen community.

                  Kevin.
                  Osrwol1
                  Berwyn gaming group on meetup

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
                    Hi Kevin,

                    I can adjust the code on this side to be modified by homebrew users, but having anyone upload
                    "custom" code that doesn't follow the released materials is walking into a very gray area that the
                    PCGen Board of Directors does not feel comfortable walking into.

                    Sorry if that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I've got to follow what WotC released in
                    their R/M/SRD and the errata wasn't included.

                    Anyways, I'm happy to supply the code you'd need for your own sets to make this work.

                    Cheers,

                    On 6/27/2013 10:52 AM, osrwol1@... wrote:
                    > Hi guys.
                    > First post. Love the program. I'm with schuler on the template /errata change. Even if wotc doesn't change their side. Can you provide Jim a location to upload a "custom" ver for those that would like to add it to their campaigns. Then we as individuals can continue the customization to help the PCGen community.
                    >
                    > Kevin.
                    > Osrwol1
                    > Berwyn gaming group on meetup

                  • osrwol1972
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 27, 2013
                      Excellent

                      I can adjust the code on this side to be modified by homebrew users, but having anyone upload
                      "custom" code that doesn't follow the released materials is walking into a very gray area that the
                      PCGen Board of Directors does not feel comfortable walking into.

                      Sorry if that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I've got to follow what WotC released in
                      their R/M/SRD and the errata wasn't included.

                      Anyways, I'm happy to supply the code you'd need for your own sets to make this work.

                      Cheers,

                      On 6/27/2013 10:52 AM, osrwol1@... wrote:
                      > Hi guys.
                      > First post. Love the program. I'm with schuler on the template /errata change. Even if wotc doesn't change their side. Can you provide Jim a location to upload a "custom" ver for those that would like to add it to their campaigns. Then we as individuals can continue the customization to help the PCGen community.
                      >
                      > Kevin.
                      > Osrwol1
                      > Berwyn gaming group on meetup

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                        Greetings,

                        Would it make that grey area slightly 'whiter' if the instructions to add the errata were covered in one of the lessons? So we'd not be sharing the errata'd code, just showing how people can do it themselves?

                        I'd like to have a copy of the fix too please :-)

                        Cheers
                        Dave

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 28, 2013
                          It all depends on the wording and intent of a lesson. Considering I'm dead tired after a nasty 24
                          hours of work, I'm not up to answering the question in full or competently. (I'm surprised I'm able
                          to compose this email).

                          When I wake up, the first task I have planned is the directory restructure. After that, I'll toss
                          together the alternative code.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 4, 2013
                            Apparently Bahamut Dragon has offered a solution, which I'll implement - leaving the final piece to
                            the homebrewers.

                            Plug this in and you'll be good to go:

                            BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|-TL*(WildShapeConsititution/2)

                            Cheers,