We need Monkeys! (Coders, Data, and more)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
      Hi Folks,

      We really could use Monkey Power around here. Without Volunteers, things do slow down. If you've got
      any free time and some talent to share, let us know.

      PCGen is using both SVN and GIT. We've gotten set up on GITHUB.

      The teams we could use more volunteers are:

      CODE - Could use JAVA Developers of any experience level.
      Requirements: A Willingness to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection, willing to use SVN or GIT to access the PCGen code base repository
      What do they do? Code Monkeys work on the main backbone of PCGen, the actual program that takes the
      PCC and LST files and makes them work. They work in collaboration with the Data Team to coordinate
      TAGs to be used, and OS teamfor OUTPUT tags.
      A Code Monkey will write new TAGs, Unit Tests, and may clean up the code (re-factor). They handle
      Code Bugs and Code Feature Requests, along with implementing NEWTAG requests.
      Team managed by: Code Silverback and Code 2nd

      ARCH - Could use JAVA developers of Moderate experience level
      Requirements: PCGen Code Base Knowledge, 6+ Months working with PCGen, SVN or GIT experience,Ability
      to write unit tests
      What do they do? Arch Monkeys are the progressive forward thinking developers that make suggestions
      and implement best practices of industry standards for future growth and implementation of PCGen as
      a viable program. Investing time to research CDOM and new emerging technologies that can benefit the
      program.

      CONTENT - LST Monkeys (Any experience level)
      Requirements: A Willingness to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection.
      What do they do? LST Monkeys code up the LST & PCC files that are the books that the program uses.
      They also fix bugs that crop up, manage the existing data migration to new versions, and implement
      Data feature requests.
      Team managed by: Content Silverback, Data 2nd

      CONTENT - Doc Monkeys (Any experience level)
      Requirements: A Willing to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection.
      Basic understanding of HTML
      What do they do? Doc Monkeys keep the documentation for PCGen up to date. They take completed NEWTAG
      entries and add them to the documentation.
      Team managed by: Content Silverback, Doc 2nd

      CONTENT - OS (Output Sheet) Monkeys (Any experience level)
      Requirements: Knowledge of XML, XSLT, FO, HTM
      What do they do? OS Monkeys maintain and update the various OS sheets that are output to PDF, HTM or
      TXT.

      ADMIN - Tracker Monkey (Any experience level)
      Requirements: A Willing to learn, patience.
      Must have an internet connection.
      Basic Understanding of the Categorization of JIRA Trackers as established by the PCGen Admin
      What do they do? Tracker Monkeys (TMs) take bug reports from the pcgen yahoo groups and file them in
      the tracker system (JIRA.pcgen.org). They'll also move new entries to the correct category. A TM
      will also follow up with an assigned monkey if a lengthy period has passed to see the status of any
      given tracker.
      Team managed by: Admin Silverback, Tracker 2nd

      ADMIN - Web Monkey Moderator
      Requirements: Must be known to the PCGen Yahoo Group for 6+ months, and be in good standing with the
      Board of Directors. Have a basic understanding of the Posting Rules and when to not allow posts.
      What do they do? Moderator Monkeys monitor the Yahoo Group(s) assigned to them, reviewing submitted
      posts before allowing or disallowing them onto the group (checking for spam). They also remove any
      spam entries that an unmoderated member has allowed onto the group and moderates or removes the
      member. They also monitor uploaded files to the groups.
      Team managed by: Admin Silverback, Web 2nd

      PR - Advertising Monkey
      Requirements: Web Savvy, Patience, active accounts with several third party Forums (En World,
      Wizards.com, etc.)
      What do they do? Advertising Monkeys make the Release announcements on various sites.

      PR - Publisher Liaison
      Requirements: Internet Access, working email account
      What do they do? Publisher Liaisons reach out to Publishers and interface with them. They ask for
      permission to include things, and make sure publishers get materials requested (Free CD).

      PR - License Monkey
      Requirements: Internet Access, Knowledge of the OGL
      What do they do? License Monkeys review finished Data Sets making sure they comply with the license
      and Publisher Permissions.

      Again, we need people who can commit some of their free time to keep this project going full steam
      ahead. Every little bit helps.

      Thank you in advanced!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2013
        Hey guys,

        Just to let you know, I also have a Java background. I'm having fun with the Advanced Race Guide for now, but I'd eventually like to get into the coding side. It's been years, but I'd like to get back into programming. Just treat me like an inexperienced programmer with lots of time on his hands :)

        -Scott