Bigger Text in Character Sheets

  • Joshua
    Message 1 of 15 , May 30, 2013
      When I print out a character sheet (export to PDF and then print that), I get a very small font. I don't know if it is 8 point, or 7 or something, but it's really small. I tried to find an option to print it out with bigger font, but have not found anything. Is there such a thing? I was using the "cssheet_fantacy_simple".

      Joshua
      Message 2 of 15 , May 30, 2013
        Hi,

        We don't have much in the way of dynamic text. I'd have to set it up, though increasing the font
        will distort the character sheet. So we're talking a couple man hours easy to make it look good.

        On 5/30/2013 9:10 PM, Joshua wrote:
        > When I print out a character sheet (export to PDF and then print that), I get a very small font. I don't know if it is 8 point, or 7 or something, but it's really small. I tried to find an option to print it out with bigger font, but have not found anything. Is there such a thing? I was using the "cssheet_fantacy_simple".
        >
        > Joshua

      • John Kantner
        Message 3 of 15 , May 30, 2013
          Try not exporting it first. It's still a bit on the small side (easily my
          biggest complaint about PCGen) but if you print directly from the program
          instead of a PDF it's definitely more readable.

          I've been asking about this for years and years, though, and apparently
          it'd be a huge hassle to fix so don't expect anything any time soon. Me? I
          honestly use a magnifying glass when I'm at the table.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2013
            Hi,

            Years? I don't see any feature request for larger fonts. The last request I had was for spells,
            which I added in, no sweat.

            submit a JIRA, we'll fit it in eventually.

            JIRA link in the footer.

            On 5/30/2013 10:59 PM, John Kantner wrote:
            > Try not exporting it first. It's still a bit on the small side (easily my
            > biggest complaint about PCGen) but if you print directly from the program
            > instead of a PDF it's definitely more readable.
            >
            > I've been asking about this for years and years, though, and apparently
            > it'd be a huge hassle to fix so don't expect anything any time soon. Me? I
            > honestly use a magnifying glass when I'm at the table.
            >

            > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> We don't have much in the way of dynamic text. I'd have to set it up,
            >> though increasing the font
            >> will distort the character sheet. So we're talking a couple man hours easy
            >> to make it look good.
            >>

            >> On 5/30/2013 9:10 PM, Joshua wrote:
            >>> When I print out a character sheet (export to PDF and then print that),
            >> I get a very small font. I don't know if it is 8 point, or 7 or something,
            >> but it's really small. I tried to find an option to print it out with
            >> bigger font, but have not found anything. Is there such a thing? I was
            >> using the "cssheet_fantacy_simple".
            >>> Joshua

            >>> PCGen List File Help:
            >>>
            >>> PCGen Experimental:
            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>

            >> --
            >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • Lee Dowd
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31, 2013
              Can't one reformat the page to some extent when printing from a pdf?  Might require going to lands scape and printing more pages but ...

              Message 6 of 15 , May 31, 2013
                Hi Folks!

                Printing to PDF involves converting the xml output with an xslt file. Changing font sizes would require going into the xslt and modifying it. That is something that I have looked at personally, but have made the consious decision to NOT get into. One day I will, but for now, the pdf output we have works for me.

                Another option is to "Export to html". This formats the information to an html file that can be opened by any browser. This has the advantage that it is much easier, at least for me, to edit an html page. This custom OS can be placed in the appropriate OS folder, with the appropriate name, and then can be accessed from within PCGen.

                And of course, once I have a character on a web-based OS, I can pdf it. Not as pretty as a direct to PDF port, but servicable.

                Maredudd

                Message 7 of 15 , May 31, 2013
                  I was thinking of just changing the size of the page using the printer controls.  I.e. you click on print in whatever ap you are using to look at the pdf and then under printer options you choose landscape rather than portrait and blow it up so what was one page fits on two landscape pages.  Maybe not elegant but ...

                • Joshua
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 31, 2013
                    I just created OS-240 for this, although I made it a bug when maybe it should be a new feature. I hope it is considered for fixing. It would help a lot of people. --Joshua

                    > Years? I don't see any feature request for larger fonts. The last request I had was for spells,
                    > which I added in, no sweat.
                    >
                    > submit a JIRA, we'll fit it in eventually.
                    >
                    > JIRA link in the footer.
                    >
                    > On 5/30/2013 10:59 PM, John Kantner wrote:
                    > > Try not exporting it first. It's still a bit on the small side (easily my
                    > > biggest complaint about PCGen) but if you print directly from the program
                    > > instead of a PDF it's definitely more readable.
                    > >
                    > > I've been asking about this for years and years, though, and apparently
                    > > it'd be a huge hassle to fix so don't expect anything any time soon. Me? I
                    > > honestly use a magnifying glass when I'm at the table.
                    > >

                    > > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> **
                    > >>

                    > >> Hi,
                    > >>
                    > >> We don't have much in the way of dynamic text. I'd have to set it up,
                    > >> though increasing the font
                    > >> will distort the character sheet. So we're talking a couple man hours easy
                    > >> to make it look good.

                    > >> I get a very small font. I don't know if it is 8 point, or 7 or something,
                    > >> but it's really small. I tried to find an option to print it out with
                    > >> bigger font, but have not found anything. Is there such a thing? I was
                    > >> using the "cssheet_fantacy_simple".

                    > >> http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links

                    > >> --
                    > >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                    > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                    > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 31, 2013
                      Hi,

                      The starting work for this should be fairly straight forward and would
                      be a good intro to the PDF output sheets. If anyone wanted to try their
                      hand at working on the output sheets I'd be happy to guide them.

                      The initial work would mainly to pull put all the hard coded font point
                      sizes and put them into variables. Just that would allow someone to
                      customise the font sizes themselves within the current spaces on the
                      sheet themselves. The next step would be to allow a user level
                      customisation, just globally increase the size of some of the really
                      small text, or (as a much bigger project) produce a large text sheet.

                      PS: Joshua and John, are there any fields that are particularly a
                      problem now, or any that are fine as is? This may seem obvious but it
                      gives us a gauge for where to spend the effort.

                      Cheers,
                      James.

                      On 1/06/2013 1:15 PM Joshua wrote

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 31, 2013
                        I've changed it to a Feature Request.

                        James, if you want to lend me a hand, I'll do the variable work in an hour... Fixing my network
                        right now, priorities... :P

                      • Andrew Wilson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2013
                          Andrew

                          Did you get to this? I might like to try my hand at some xslt stuff.

                          andrew

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2013
                            Hi,

                            All I've done is set up a new sheet with text at 12pt. Beyond that nothing else. Feel free to play
                            with it. James mentioned setting up a variable.

                          • Andrew Wilson
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3, 2013
                              Ok, thanks. I'll have a word with James about what he thinks needs done.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 3, 2013
                                Awesome. I was nudging James to include the Color Sheet as part of the UI. ;)

                                UI Projects:
                                Variable Select for Font Size
                                Color Selection

                                I won't be able to mess with anything on the xslt side for the next 48 hours, so go crazy..

                                Also, have a look at the output, I haven't even seen how bad it looks yet. We had 6pt font in there,
                                so I imagine the footer will need work and the layout will need to be altered.

                              • Andrew Wilson
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 3, 2013
                                  I'm off to play SW: Edge of Empire, I'll have a look at it later on
                                  when I get in.

                                  andrew