Re: [pcgen] PCGen Board of Directors Meeting, 5/10/2013, 5:00 pm

  • Henk Slaaf
    Message 1 of 16 , May 11, 2013
      Hey!

      I was reading through the meeting logs and had some thoughts:

      - [14:40] <@[Chair]Drew> Maybe a prod email to see where they are...
      perhaps have an easy code task to get them started if they don't have
      anything set in mind.
      - [14:40] <@[Chair]Drew> Also, Henk has a nice Github setup for cloning
      the SVN, if they want to work on his and offer up patches???

      I'd be happy to go as a go-between for people who want to contribute, but
      cannot get SVN to work. I have git-svn set up, so for me it's no problem to
      accept pull requests. People could open these on the github site and
      explain them. You (other devs) could help audit the pull requests there.
      Then I could *git svn dcommit* them.

      I could help other devs to setup git-svn in the mean time. I have the
      import here and can ship it to others easily.

      - [14:41] <@[Chair]Drew> not sure if GIT vs. SVN is an issue, but
      removing any barriers to new folks is a worthy goal
      - [14:41] <James[Code_SB]> Yes I am strating to wonder if that would
      make thuings easier - the new sourceforge subversion is really difficult to
      get started with
      - [14:42] <James[Code_SB]> I'm dissapointed that they did that - it is a
      poor outcome fo the migration
      - [14:42] <@[Chair]Drew> I must admit, tortoisegit makes using SSH keys
      easy, unlike tortoisesvn.
      - [14:43] <@[Chair]Drew> I struggled to get the Svn working for me, and
      I'm dedicated. It's a nice feature ONCE WORKING, but getting there is a
      bucketfull of frustrations

      On Linux/Mac it is actually very easy to set up, if you know how to do it
      and/or are willing to use command line. I could write a how-to for command
      line if it is needed/wanted.

      - [14:43] <James[Code_SB]> The plan would be to get back to https not
      ssh - even github prefers https
      - [14:43] <@[Chair]Drew> we can use https, but we lose the code update
      notfications
      - [14:44] <James[Code_SB]> k, might be time to raise a bug with them -
      also to get the old repo locked

      Whatever method we choose, update notifications are easy to do using
      Jenkins, provided that Sourceforge has some form of HTTP(s) push
      notifications. Otherwise, I could set up the Github mirror to push to our
      Jenkins. Then Jenkins can email us.

      Let me know if you need anything :)

      Best,

      Henk

    • Henk Slaaf
      Message 2 of 16 , May 11, 2013
        PS: I checked and Github can email any changes if Sourceforge fails to let
        us do so.

        Henk

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 16 , May 12, 2013
          I think this would be useful - I infinitely prefer the GitHub model of
          working these days. Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
          organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
          hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
          from.

          Cheers,
          Martijn

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 16 , May 12, 2013
            Hi Kar,

            Is that a preference for having our source in git (e.g. via
            sourceforge's offering) or GitHub specifically?

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 12/05/2013 9:36 PM Martijn Verburg wrote

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 16 , May 12, 2013
              Hey James,

              GitHub :-)

              IMNSHO - Git is a tool you build source control systems from, GitHub
              (because it has a workflow) is a source control system.

              I've been away for some time, so I'm not sure what's been discussed
              recently, or what other barriers are currently in place. Perhaps if we can
              setup a PCGen GitHub repo as the canonical/release repo, and keep that
              sync'd with SF's SVN (do we have access to the SVN post-commit hook?) with
              a pcgen_dev user then folks can either code on SVN or start migrating to
              GitHub forks as they see fit.

              We're basically doing something similar for this in OpenJDK (a BitBucket
              clone called Betterrev).

              Cheers,
              Martijn

              Message 6 of 16 , May 12, 2013

                SF has GIT, I don't see a need to further expand into yet another website to support our own
                software. Unless the SF Git control isn't on par with GITHIB I think we should keep hosting our own
                software here on SF.

                If there is a way to keep both Sync'd up, then that would be awesome.

                The only issue we had a concern washistory - Tom and our other coders want to maintain the history
                so if we moved to GIT and left SVN behind, they could see everything that happened since we started SVN.

                Henk, Git is handy enough, could you see if there is a way to import the CVS stuff (History) and
                then import the SVN history? (That would make a bunch of monkeys very happy).

                I can make an SF Git right now if need be, as can James (It's a simple option).

              • Henk Slaaf
                Message 7 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                  > Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
                  > organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
                  > hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
                  > from.

                  It is very easy to convert an account into an organisation. I am certainly
                  willing to do so. Need to find a bit of time, though.

                  What is your github user account? I'll add you as an admin after I convert
                  the pcgen account. (I'm glad I claimed it then :))

                  Best,

                  Henk

                • Henk Slaaf
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                    On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Martijn Verburg
                    <martijnverburg@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Hey James,
                    >
                    > GitHub :-)
                    >
                    > IMNSHO - Git is a tool you build source control systems from, GitHub
                    > (because it has a workflow) is a source control system.
                    >
                    > I've been away for some time, so I'm not sure what's been discussed
                    > recently, or what other barriers are currently in place. Perhaps if we can
                    > setup a PCGen GitHub repo as the canonical/release repo, and keep that
                    > sync'd with SF's SVN (do we have access to the SVN post-commit hook?) with
                    > a pcgen_dev user then folks can either code on SVN or start migrating to
                    > GitHub forks as they see fit.

                    I agree. It is very easy for a non-committer to put up pull-requests. This
                    is (IIRC) not possible with SF. This required us to give random people who
                    come along commiter access pretty soon if they want to contribute.

                    I was suprised how fast you guys added me to the committerlist a few years
                    back.

                    I don't think we would replace Jira, not Jenkins. There are good
                    integration tools for that software. Half the world uses Jira + Github +
                    Jenkins.

                    Best,

                    Henk

                  • Henk Slaaf
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                      > SF has GIT, I don't see a need to further expand into yet another website
                      > to support our own
                      > software. Unless the SF Git control isn't on par with GITHIB I think we
                      > should keep hosting our own
                      > software here on SF.

                      SF has no collaboration options that I know of. The GIT hosting is probably
                      fine, but there are no tools (forking, pull requests, web interface is
                      shoddy).

                      > If there is a way to keep both Sync'd up, then that would be awesome.

                      There probably is. One-way sync is
                      easy<http://stackoverflow.com/a/11420551/1178372>.
                      Two-way depends on SF features. I don't expect much support.

                      > The only issue we had a concern was history - Tom and our other coders
                      > want to maintain the history
                      > so if we moved to GIT and left SVN behind, they could see everything that
                      > happened since we started SVN.

                      Yeah, that is certainly possible. The current git import goes all the way
                      back to 2006. I believe that is when all files were copied to SVN.

                      > Henk, Git is handy enough, could you see if there is a way to import the
                      > CVS stuff (History) and
                      > then import the SVN history? (That would make a bunch of monkeys very
                      > happy).
                      >
                      > CVS? No. I have no CVS experience, no CVS access and no time/motivation.

                      Maybe it can be done, but I don't think it is worthwile making the effort.
                      If someone else is willing, though?

                      Importing SVN trunk is as easy as running *git svn clone* on the SVN remote
                      and waiting.

                      Then things get a bit more difficult.

                      1. Tags are easy.
                      2. Branches require a bit of work.
                      1. fetching all the branches and grafting them using .git/info/grafts;
                      2. running git filter-branch
                      [docs<http://thomasrast.ch/git/git-svn-conversion.html>]
                      to make things permament;
                      3. push everything to the GIT repo and set SVN to read-only;
                      4. a bit of work, but easily done if you have a list of branches and
                      their first SVN commit ID.
                      3. Committer history (SVN usernames vs Github accounts) require a bit of
                      organisation
                      1. They will remain legible for humans (see current github import);
                      2. If you want them to be translated, you need to provide a map;
                      3. This map can be done easily only once, because otherwise the tree
                      changes after it has been published and pulled by others. It is
                      not a real
                      big problem though.

                      I've experimented with the PCGen repo a couple of times. The bother is that
                      I need a running import. I can do all sorts of trickery on the archive if
                      it is a simple import. Now I need git svn fetch to work after trickery,
                      which is a bother.

                      One of the other bigger problems is the sheer volume of the PCGen archive.
                      It takes about two days to complete the import. And that is if SF does not
                      hang up the SSH connection once in a while.

                      I can make an SF Git right now if need be, as can James (It's a simple
                      > option).

                      Will they convert the archive for us? I believe we have some quirks that
                      make it harder to get it right (see above). I wouldn't depend on the import
                      tool if they don't let you audit the result first :)

                      We can work on an import script that gets everything right, but loses the
                      ability to import from SVN further (see above). We can then run test
                      imports a couple of times and tweak some more until everything is to our
                      wishes. If the script is to our satisfaction, then we could plan a weekend
                      and switch then.

                      Best,

                      Henk

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 12, 2013

                        My github account is LegacyKing. I made it when I was grabbing the utilities work you did. ;)

                        On 5/12/2013 1:56 PM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
                        >> Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
                        >> organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
                        >> hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
                        >> from.
                        >>
                        > It is very easy to convert an account into an organisation. I am certainly
                        > willing to do so. Need to find a bit of time, though.
                        >
                        > What is your github user account? I'll add you as an admin after I convert
                        > the pcgen account. (I'm glad I claimed it then :))
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Henk

                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                          Hi Henk,

                          I'm karianna on GitHub

                          Cheers,
                          Martijn

                          On 12 May 2013 21:56, Henk Slaaf <henk@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > > Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
                          > > organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
                          > > hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
                          > > from.
                          > >
                          > It is very easy to convert an account into an organisation. I am certainly
                          > willing to do so. Need to find a bit of time, though.
                          >
                          > What is your github user account? I'll add you as an admin after I convert
                          > the pcgen account. (I'm glad I claimed it then :))
                          >

                          > Best,
                          >
                          > Henk

                        • Henk Slaaf
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                            On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Martijn Verburg
                            <martijnverburg@...>wrote:

                            > karianna

                            Hey!

                            It seems like Andrew already added you and James.

                            When the time comes, we'll need to have a mapping of all current committers
                            SF login names to Github login names, if and when we decide to move
                            forwards.

                            Best,

                            Henk

                          • Stefan Radermacher