PCGen Board of Directors Meeting, 5/10/2013, 5:00 pm

  • pcgen@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 10, 2013
      Reminder from: pcgen Yahoo! Group

      Title: PCGen Board of Directors Meeting

      Date: Friday May 10, 2013
      Time: 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm (GMT-05.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
      Location: IRC irc.freenode.net channel #pcgen, http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=pcgen
      Notes: PCGen's Board of Directors open meeting

      All are welcome to come and observe.

      Meeting is held in channel #pcgen on IRC. You can join via the web at http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=pcgen

      Meeting time: Friday 2200 GMT

      Please use the link for the correct time for your time zone. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=08&month=06&year=2012&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=179

      See http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_Time for the meeting details.

      -PCGen Board of Directors

      Message 2 of 16 , May 10, 2013

        http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_2013_05_10

        On 5/10/2013 1:00 PM, pcgen@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Title: PCGen Board of Directors Meeting
        >
        > Date: Friday May 10, 2013
        > Time: 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm (GMT-05.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
        > Location: IRC irc.freenode.net channel #pcgen, http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=pcgen
        > Notes: PCGen's Board of Directors open meeting
        >
        > All are welcome to come and observe.
        >
        > Meeting is held in channel #pcgen on IRC. You can join via the web at
        > http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=pcgen
        >
        > Meeting time: Friday 2200 GMT
        >
        > Please use the link for the correct time for your time zone.
        > http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=08&month=06&year=2012&hour=17&min=0&sec=0&p1=179
        >
        > See http://wiki.pcgen.org/Meeting_Time for the meeting details.
        >
        > -PCGen Board of Directors

        > Copyright © 2013 Yahoo! Inc. <http://www.yahoo.com> All Rights Reserved | Terms of Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> | Privacy Policy <http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us>

      • Henk Slaaf
        Message 3 of 16 , May 11, 2013
          Hey!

          I was reading through the meeting logs and had some thoughts:

          - [14:40] <@[Chair]Drew> Maybe a prod email to see where they are...
          perhaps have an easy code task to get them started if they don't have
          anything set in mind.
          - [14:40] <@[Chair]Drew> Also, Henk has a nice Github setup for cloning
          the SVN, if they want to work on his and offer up patches???

          I'd be happy to go as a go-between for people who want to contribute, but
          cannot get SVN to work. I have git-svn set up, so for me it's no problem to
          accept pull requests. People could open these on the github site and
          explain them. You (other devs) could help audit the pull requests there.
          Then I could *git svn dcommit* them.

          I could help other devs to setup git-svn in the mean time. I have the
          import here and can ship it to others easily.

          - [14:41] <@[Chair]Drew> not sure if GIT vs. SVN is an issue, but
          removing any barriers to new folks is a worthy goal
          - [14:41] <James[Code_SB]> Yes I am strating to wonder if that would
          make thuings easier - the new sourceforge subversion is really difficult to
          get started with
          - [14:42] <James[Code_SB]> I'm dissapointed that they did that - it is a
          poor outcome fo the migration
          - [14:42] <@[Chair]Drew> I must admit, tortoisegit makes using SSH keys
          easy, unlike tortoisesvn.
          - [14:43] <@[Chair]Drew> I struggled to get the Svn working for me, and
          I'm dedicated. It's a nice feature ONCE WORKING, but getting there is a
          bucketfull of frustrations

          On Linux/Mac it is actually very easy to set up, if you know how to do it
          and/or are willing to use command line. I could write a how-to for command
          line if it is needed/wanted.

          - [14:43] <James[Code_SB]> The plan would be to get back to https not
          ssh - even github prefers https
          - [14:43] <@[Chair]Drew> we can use https, but we lose the code update
          notfications
          - [14:44] <James[Code_SB]> k, might be time to raise a bug with them -
          also to get the old repo locked

          Whatever method we choose, update notifications are easy to do using
          Jenkins, provided that Sourceforge has some form of HTTP(s) push
          notifications. Otherwise, I could set up the Github mirror to push to our
          Jenkins. Then Jenkins can email us.

          Let me know if you need anything :)

          Best,

          Henk

        • Henk Slaaf
          Message 4 of 16 , May 11, 2013
            PS: I checked and Github can email any changes if Sourceforge fails to let
            us do so.

            Henk

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 16 , May 12, 2013
              I think this would be useful - I infinitely prefer the GitHub model of
              working these days. Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
              organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
              hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
              from.

              Cheers,
              Martijn

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                Hi Kar,

                Is that a preference for having our source in git (e.g. via
                sourceforge's offering) or GitHub specifically?

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 12/05/2013 9:36 PM Martijn Verburg wrote

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                  Hey James,

                  GitHub :-)

                  IMNSHO - Git is a tool you build source control systems from, GitHub
                  (because it has a workflow) is a source control system.

                  I've been away for some time, so I'm not sure what's been discussed
                  recently, or what other barriers are currently in place. Perhaps if we can
                  setup a PCGen GitHub repo as the canonical/release repo, and keep that
                  sync'd with SF's SVN (do we have access to the SVN post-commit hook?) with
                  a pcgen_dev user then folks can either code on SVN or start migrating to
                  GitHub forks as they see fit.

                  We're basically doing something similar for this in OpenJDK (a BitBucket
                  clone called Betterrev).

                  Cheers,
                  Martijn

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 12, 2013

                    SF has GIT, I don't see a need to further expand into yet another website to support our own
                    software. Unless the SF Git control isn't on par with GITHIB I think we should keep hosting our own
                    software here on SF.

                    If there is a way to keep both Sync'd up, then that would be awesome.

                    The only issue we had a concern washistory - Tom and our other coders want to maintain the history
                    so if we moved to GIT and left SVN behind, they could see everything that happened since we started SVN.

                    Henk, Git is handy enough, could you see if there is a way to import the CVS stuff (History) and
                    then import the SVN history? (That would make a bunch of monkeys very happy).

                    I can make an SF Git right now if need be, as can James (It's a simple option).

                  • Henk Slaaf
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                      > Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
                      > organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
                      > hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
                      > from.

                      It is very easy to convert an account into an organisation. I am certainly
                      willing to do so. Need to find a bit of time, though.

                      What is your github user account? I'll add you as an admin after I convert
                      the pcgen account. (I'm glad I claimed it then :))

                      Best,

                      Henk

                    • Henk Slaaf
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                        On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Martijn Verburg
                        <martijnverburg@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Hey James,
                        >
                        > GitHub :-)
                        >
                        > IMNSHO - Git is a tool you build source control systems from, GitHub
                        > (because it has a workflow) is a source control system.
                        >
                        > I've been away for some time, so I'm not sure what's been discussed
                        > recently, or what other barriers are currently in place. Perhaps if we can
                        > setup a PCGen GitHub repo as the canonical/release repo, and keep that
                        > sync'd with SF's SVN (do we have access to the SVN post-commit hook?) with
                        > a pcgen_dev user then folks can either code on SVN or start migrating to
                        > GitHub forks as they see fit.

                        I agree. It is very easy for a non-committer to put up pull-requests. This
                        is (IIRC) not possible with SF. This required us to give random people who
                        come along commiter access pretty soon if they want to contribute.

                        I was suprised how fast you guys added me to the committerlist a few years
                        back.

                        I don't think we would replace Jira, not Jenkins. There are good
                        integration tools for that software. Half the world uses Jira + Github +
                        Jenkins.

                        Best,

                        Henk

                      • Henk Slaaf
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 12, 2013
                          > SF has GIT, I don't see a need to further expand into yet another website
                          > to support our own
                          > software. Unless the SF Git control isn't on par with GITHIB I think we
                          > should keep hosting our own
                          > software here on SF.

                          SF has no collaboration options that I know of. The GIT hosting is probably
                          fine, but there are no tools (forking, pull requests, web interface is
                          shoddy).

                          > If there is a way to keep both Sync'd up, then that would be awesome.

                          There probably is. One-way sync is
                          easy<http://stackoverflow.com/a/11420551/1178372>.
                          Two-way depends on SF features. I don't expect much support.

                          > The only issue we had a concern was history - Tom and our other coders
                          > want to maintain the history
                          > so if we moved to GIT and left SVN behind, they could see everything that
                          > happened since we started SVN.

                          Yeah, that is certainly possible. The current git import goes all the way
                          back to 2006. I believe that is when all files were copied to SVN.

                          > Henk, Git is handy enough, could you see if there is a way to import the
                          > CVS stuff (History) and
                          > then import the SVN history? (That would make a bunch of monkeys very
                          > happy).
                          >
                          > CVS? No. I have no CVS experience, no CVS access and no time/motivation.

                          Maybe it can be done, but I don't think it is worthwile making the effort.
                          If someone else is willing, though?

                          Importing SVN trunk is as easy as running *git svn clone* on the SVN remote
                          and waiting.

                          Then things get a bit more difficult.

                          1. Tags are easy.
                          2. Branches require a bit of work.
                          1. fetching all the branches and grafting them using .git/info/grafts;
                          2. running git filter-branch
                          [docs<http://thomasrast.ch/git/git-svn-conversion.html>]
                          to make things permament;
                          3. push everything to the GIT repo and set SVN to read-only;
                          4. a bit of work, but easily done if you have a list of branches and
                          their first SVN commit ID.
                          3. Committer history (SVN usernames vs Github accounts) require a bit of
                          organisation
                          1. They will remain legible for humans (see current github import);
                          2. If you want them to be translated, you need to provide a map;
                          3. This map can be done easily only once, because otherwise the tree
                          changes after it has been published and pulled by others. It is
                          not a real
                          big problem though.

                          I've experimented with the PCGen repo a couple of times. The bother is that
                          I need a running import. I can do all sorts of trickery on the archive if
                          it is a simple import. Now I need git svn fetch to work after trickery,
                          which is a bother.

                          One of the other bigger problems is the sheer volume of the PCGen archive.
                          It takes about two days to complete the import. And that is if SF does not
                          hang up the SSH connection once in a while.

                          I can make an SF Git right now if need be, as can James (It's a simple
                          > option).

                          Will they convert the archive for us? I believe we have some quirks that
                          make it harder to get it right (see above). I wouldn't depend on the import
                          tool if they don't let you audit the result first :)

                          We can work on an import script that gets everything right, but loses the
                          ability to import from SVN further (see above). We can then run test
                          imports a couple of times and tweak some more until everything is to our
                          wishes. If the script is to our satisfaction, then we could plan a weekend
                          and switch then.

                          Best,

                          Henk

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 12, 2013

                            My github account is LegacyKing. I made it when I was grabbing the utilities work you did. ;)

                            On 5/12/2013 1:56 PM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
                            >> Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
                            >> organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
                            >> hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
                            >> from.
                            >>
                            > It is very easy to convert an account into an organisation. I am certainly
                            > willing to do so. Need to find a bit of time, though.
                            >
                            > What is your github user account? I'll add you as an admin after I convert
                            > the pcgen account. (I'm glad I claimed it then :))
                            >
                            > Best,
                            >
                            > Henk

                          • Martijn Verburg
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                              Hi Henk,

                              I'm karianna on GitHub

                              Cheers,
                              Martijn

                              On 12 May 2013 21:56, Henk Slaaf <henk@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > > Henk, would it be useful if we started a PCGen
                              > > organisation on GitHub and started a repo there? I know you have your own
                              > > hosted, but I guess we should have an 'official one' that people can fork
                              > > from.
                              > >
                              > It is very easy to convert an account into an organisation. I am certainly
                              > willing to do so. Need to find a bit of time, though.
                              >
                              > What is your github user account? I'll add you as an admin after I convert
                              > the pcgen account. (I'm glad I claimed it then :))
                              >

                              > Best,
                              >
                              > Henk

                            • Henk Slaaf
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 13, 2013
                                On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Martijn Verburg
                                <martijnverburg@...>wrote:

                                > karianna

                                Hey!

                                It seems like Andrew already added you and James.

                                When the time comes, we'll need to have a mapping of all current committers
                                SF login names to Github login names, if and when we decide to move
                                forwards.

                                Best,

                                Henk

                              • Stefan Radermacher