Re: Audio software, no resetting

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 20, 2013
      This looks promising, although it's a little pricy for a hobby purchase.

      http://www.nch.com.au/mixpad/index.html

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "andrehjesus" <andrehjesus@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > This topic is not about pcgen but rather about audio software. Specifically I am searching for a player able to run multiple audio tracks without resetting(playback?) them each time I switch from one to another. I am trying to associate a track to each of my PCs during battles and continuously play portions of those tracks for each player cycle of the battle, hence the no reseting feature. Does anyone know of such a software? Preferably on linux? Thanks alot.
      >
      > Note: The closest option I've seen so far was Gnome Mplayer with multiple windows, one for each track.
      >
      > André

    • bendog_au
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 21, 2013
        That looks a lot like the open source multitrack sound editing package audacity.
        Which has its own Debian package.
        http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux

        On Linux I am pretty sure you can run multiple instances of vlc
        You could try opening an instance for each file you wanted to play?

        This might be helpful.

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:

        > This looks promising, although it's a little pricy for a hobby purchase.
        >
        > http://www.nch.com.au/mixpad/index.html
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "andrehjesus" <andrehjesus@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > This topic is not about pcgen but rather about audio software. Specifically I am searching for a player able to run multiple audio tracks without resetting(playback?) them each time I switch from one to another. I am trying to associate a track to each of my PCs during battles and continuously play portions of those tracks for each player cycle of the battle, hence the no reseting feature. Does anyone know of such a software? Preferably on linux? Thanks alot.
        > >
        > > Note: The closest option I've seen so far was Gnome Mplayer with multiple windows, one for each track.
        > >
        > > André

      • Anestis Kozakis
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 21, 2013
          Audacity is primarily a sound editing/mixing software tool, but you can add
          multiple audio files, set when they each start and end playing, etc. To
          play MP3's you need to isntall the LAME MP3 encoder. The audacity site has
          the information on how to do this.

          As mentioned, you can do it via VLC, as long as you set VLC to allow audio
          files to be played in the background.

          Anestis.

          On 22 April 2013 12:17, bendog_au <ben@...> wrote:

          > That looks a lot like the open source multitrack sound editing package
          > audacity.
          > Which has its own Debian package.
          > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux
          >
          > On Linux I am pretty sure you can run multiple instances of vlc
          > You could try opening an instance for each file you wanted to play?
          >
          > This might be helpful.
          >

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This looks promising, although it's a little pricy for a hobby purchase.
          > >
          > > http://www.nch.com.au/mixpad/index.html
          > >
          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "andrehjesus" <andrehjesus@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi all,
          > > >
          > > > This topic is not about pcgen but rather about audio software.
          > Specifically I am searching for a player able to run multiple audio tracks
          > without resetting(playback?) them each time I switch from one to another. I
          > am trying to associate a track to each of my PCs during battles and
          > continuously play portions of those tracks for each player cycle of the
          > battle, hence the no reseting feature. Does anyone know of such a software?
          > Preferably on linux? Thanks alot.
          > > >
          > > > Note: The closest option I've seen so far was Gnome Mplayer with
          > multiple windows, one for each track.
          > > >
          > > > André

          > PCGen List File Help:

          Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@... | http://www.akozakis.id.au/

        • andrehjesus
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 22, 2013
            Hey,

            Thanks for all the suggestions :-). VLC seems like gnome mplayer which also opens multiple instances of audio files. I will use it if there isn't any other option.
            I can't tell when a player ends it's round and therefore a start/end play set feature it's unnecessary. I must start/stop/switch between tracks manually. I have been checking Amarok but I couldn't find any entry on the manual about a "no resetting" feature until know.

            André

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 23, 2013
              I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "no reset".
              But if you don't need to play multiple PC sounds at the same time. You could look into playing the songs on a playlist but having repeat one mode on, so it just keeps playing that one track.

              If you mean no reset like it plays that one track and then stops. Some players have a stop after current feature. I know Winamp did.
              But what I would do, is open all the tracks in vlc, tile them on the screen, then hit play on the appropriate one when you want it to play through once.

              Hope that might be of some help.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "andrehjesus" <andrehjesus@...> wrote:

              > Hey,
              >
              > Thanks for all the suggestions :-). VLC seems like gnome mplayer which also opens multiple instances of audio files. I will use it if there isn't any other option.
              > I can't tell when a player ends it's round and therefore a start/end play set feature it's unnecessary. I must start/stop/switch between tracks manually. I have been checking Amarok but I couldn't find any entry on the manual about a "no resetting" feature until know.
              >
              > André
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Anestis Kozakis <kenosti@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Audacity is primarily a sound editing/mixing software tool, but you can add
              > > multiple audio files, set when they each start and end playing, etc. To
              > > play MP3's you need to isntall the LAME MP3 encoder. The audacity site has
              > > the information on how to do this.
              > >
              > > As mentioned, you can do it via VLC, as long as you set VLC to allow audio
              > > files to be played in the background.
              > >
              > > Anestis.
              > >

              > > On 22 April 2013 12:17, bendog_au <ben@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > That looks a lot like the open source multitrack sound editing package
              > > > audacity.
              > > > Which has its own Debian package.
              > > > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux
              > > >
              > > > On Linux I am pretty sure you can run multiple instances of vlc
              > > > You could try opening an instance for each file you wanted to play?
              > > >
              > > > This might be helpful.

              > > > Specifically I am searching for a player able to run multiple audio tracks
              > > > without resetting(playback?) them each time I switch from one to another. I
              > > > am trying to associate a track to each of my PCs during battles and
              > > > continuously play portions of those tracks for each player cycle of the
              > > > battle, hence the no reseting feature. Does anyone know of such a software?
              > > > Preferably on linux? Thanks alot.

              > > > multiple windows, one for each track.

              > > > PCGen List File Help:

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > > >

              > > --
              > > Anestis Kozakis | kenosti@ | http://www.akozakis.id.au/

            • Susan Dittmar
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
                bendog_au schrieb:
                > I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "no reset".

                I think what the OP means is
                - start track for player 1
                - once his action finishes, *pause* track for player 1
                - start track for player 2
                - once his action finishes, *pause* track for player 2
                - return to track for player 1 and continue playing at the point where this
                track was paused, do *not* start from the beginning of this track

                Only idea I have about this is the same as has been posted: multiple instances
                of the player, using their pause and start buttons.

                Susan
              • andrehjesus
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 24, 2013
                  Hey,

                  That's precisely what I meant for "no reset".
                  Alright then. I'll use some program with multiple instances on it since it seems there is no other options available.

                  THanks everyone for the help

                  Best regards
                  André

                • mat.cohen@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 8, 2013
                    Have you tried Scene Sound? It allows playing of multiple tracks (designed specifically for use with RPGs)individually or simultaneously (change speed and/or volume of individual tracks, repeat playback (or NOT as you requested). you can store multiple "playlist" and drag n' drop lists or indiv. files for your library and create simple formulas to automate many functions. Pretty cool piece of kit.

                    http://scenesound.cyclobster.com/about/default.aspx

                  • mat.cohen@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2013
                      What about SceneSound? Allows playing of multiple tracks (designed specifically for use with RPGs) create playlists, drag n' drop lists/indiv. files from library, adjust volume/speed of playback, set linked files to begin playing at specified start points (i.e. playing one file causes other linked files to begin play at a certain points during playback). Nice piece of kit -- and it's FREE.

                      Supported OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

                      http://scenesound.cyclobster.com/about/default.aspx

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "andrehjesus" <andrehjesus@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      >
                      > This topic is not about pcgen but rather about audio software. Specifically I am searching for a player able to run multiple audio tracks without resetting(playback?) them each time I switch from one to another. I am trying to associate a track to each of my PCs during battles and continuously play portions of those tracks for each player cycle of the battle, hence the no reseting feature. Does anyone know of such a software? Preferably on linux? Thanks alot.
                      >
                      > Note: The closest option I've seen so far was Gnome Mplayer with multiple windows, one for each track.
                      >
                      > André

                    • André Jesus
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 11, 2013
                        Thanks! Seems a very interesting free option. However I use pcgen on
                        linux usually :-(. I never knew that audio software specific for RPGs
                        ever existed. Thanks for sharing it

                        Best regards
                        André Jesus

                        On 05/09/2013 05:48 AM, mat.cohen@... wrote:

                        > What about SceneSound? Allows playing of multiple tracks (designed
                        > specifically for use with RPGs) create playlists, drag n' drop
                        > lists/indiv. files from library, adjust volume/speed of playback, set
                        > linked files to begin playing at specified start points (i.e. playing
                        > one file causes other linked files to begin play at a certain points
                        > during playback). Nice piece of kit -- and it's FREE.
                        >
                        > Supported OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
                        >
                        > http://scenesound.cyclobster.com/about/default.aspx
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > "andrehjesus" <andrehjesus@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi all,
                        > >
                        > > This topic is not about pcgen but rather about audio software.
                        > Specifically I am searching for a player able to run multiple audio
                        > tracks without resetting(playback?) them each time I switch from one
                        > to another. I am trying to associate a track to each of my PCs during
                        > battles and continuously play portions of those tracks for each player
                        > cycle of the battle, hence the no reseting feature. Does anyone know
                        > of such a software? Preferably on linux? Thanks alot.
                        > >
                        > > Note: The closest option I've seen so far was Gnome Mplayer with
                        > multiple windows, one for each track.
                        > >
                        > > André

                      • mathew_cohen
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 14, 2013
                          You did say "preferably" ;) Good luck -- personally I'm looking forward to roll20.net allowing user-uploaded tracks -- that would be nice!