Re: [pcgen] PCG File Format

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
      Hi Rob,

      The PCG format has certainly been discussed in the past and different
      options canvassed. Currently there is no one driving a change of PCG
      format.

      What we do currently support is export to XML format. A custom XML
      output sheet could be simply created and that could be the basis for
      your character viewer initially.

      Cheers,
      James.

      On 4/04/2013 6:58 PM Andrew wrote
      > Hi Rob,
      >
      > Buggy clients are a bummer. I suspect that may be a reason your new
      > topic got buried in another message thread.
      >
      > PCG file format and anything is open for discussion.
      >
      > James is the head Code Monkey (Silverback) so he can best answer your
      > questions and give reasoning on why things were done the way they
      > were, and what obstacles would be in the way to moving to another format.
      >
      > I'll ping him so he can reply to this as well.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > On 4/3/2013 8:26 AM, Rob Allen wrote:
      >> I hate my e-mail client. :(
      >>
      >> Here's what I posted earlier that got stripped by the listserv:
      >> _____
      >>
      >> Hey y'all,
      >>
      >> I found an old OLD thread (from 2001, looks like) that talks about converting the file format to some kind of XML. Did that idea get dropped?
      >>
      >> Just curious, because I was thinking how cool it would be to have a full-featured character sheet app for Android that could read PCG files, so I looked at one of my character files and...(The rest of this thought is censored.)
      >>
      >> Though I'm just about to start an intensive MBA program (Friday), if I can find little bits and snips of time to mess around with developing an XSD for character files, might that be a welcome effort? I'd probably do it more from my knowledge of the d20 SRD and ignore how PCGen currently does it. At least it would provide a basis for debate.
      >>
      >> Rob

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>

      > --
      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
      > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
        http://code.google.com/p/droidpcgenviewer/

        > Hi Rob,
        >
        > The PCG format has certainly been discussed in the past and different
        > options canvassed. Currently there is no one driving a change of PCG
        > format.
        >
        > What we do currently support is export to XML format. A custom XML
        > output sheet could be simply created and that could be the basis for
        > your character viewer initially.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James.

      • Rob Allen
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
          > http://code.google.com/p/droidpcgenviewer/

          What?!! Awesomesauce, thanks!

          I may still undertake an effort to do it, though, as an exercise to learn Android development. Hey, why waste time on "hello world" and simple calculator applications? :)

          Rob