PCG File Format

  • Rob Allen
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
    • Rob Allen
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
        I hate my e-mail client. :(

        Here's what I posted earlier that got stripped by the listserv:
        _____

        Hey y'all,

        I found an old OLD thread (from 2001, looks like) that talks about converting the file format to some kind of XML. Did that idea get dropped?

        Just curious, because I was thinking how cool it would be to have a full-featured character sheet app for Android that could read PCG files, so I looked at one of my character files and...(The rest of this thought is censored.)

        Though I'm just about to start an intensive MBA program (Friday), if I can find little bits and snips of time to mess around with developing an XSD for character files, might that be a welcome effort? I'd probably do it more from my knowledge of the d20 SRD and ignore how PCGen currently does it. At least it would provide a basis for debate.

        Rob
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
          Hi Rob,

          Buggy clients are a bummer. I suspect that may be a reason your new topic got buried in another
          message thread.

          PCG file format and anything is open for discussion.

          James is the head Code Monkey (Silverback) so he can best answer your questions and give reasoning
          on why things were done the way they were, and what obstacles would be in the way to moving to
          another format.

          I'll ping him so he can reply to this as well.

          Cheers,
          On 4/3/2013 8:26 AM, Rob Allen wrote:
          > I hate my e-mail client. :(
          >
          > Here's what I posted earlier that got stripped by the listserv:
          > _____
          >
          > Hey y'all,
          >
          > I found an old OLD thread (from 2001, looks like) that talks about converting the file format to some kind of XML. Did that idea get dropped?
          >
          > Just curious, because I was thinking how cool it would be to have a full-featured character sheet app for Android that could read PCG files, so I looked at one of my character files and...(The rest of this thought is censored.)
          >
          > Though I'm just about to start an intensive MBA program (Friday), if I can find little bits and snips of time to mess around with developing an XSD for character files, might that be a welcome effort? I'd probably do it more from my knowledge of the d20 SRD and ignore how PCGen currently does it. At least it would provide a basis for debate.
          >
          > Rob

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
            Hi Rob,

            The PCG format has certainly been discussed in the past and different
            options canvassed. Currently there is no one driving a change of PCG
            format.

            What we do currently support is export to XML format. A custom XML
            output sheet could be simply created and that could be the basis for
            your character viewer initially.

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 4/04/2013 6:58 PM Andrew wrote
            > Hi Rob,
            >
            > Buggy clients are a bummer. I suspect that may be a reason your new
            > topic got buried in another message thread.
            >
            > PCG file format and anything is open for discussion.
            >
            > James is the head Code Monkey (Silverback) so he can best answer your
            > questions and give reasoning on why things were done the way they
            > were, and what obstacles would be in the way to moving to another format.
            >
            > I'll ping him so he can reply to this as well.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > On 4/3/2013 8:26 AM, Rob Allen wrote:
            >> I hate my e-mail client. :(
            >>
            >> Here's what I posted earlier that got stripped by the listserv:
            >> _____
            >>
            >> Hey y'all,
            >>
            >> I found an old OLD thread (from 2001, looks like) that talks about converting the file format to some kind of XML. Did that idea get dropped?
            >>
            >> Just curious, because I was thinking how cool it would be to have a full-featured character sheet app for Android that could read PCG files, so I looked at one of my character files and...(The rest of this thought is censored.)
            >>
            >> Though I'm just about to start an intensive MBA program (Friday), if I can find little bits and snips of time to mess around with developing an XSD for character files, might that be a welcome effort? I'd probably do it more from my knowledge of the d20 SRD and ignore how PCGen currently does it. At least it would provide a basis for debate.
            >>
            >> Rob

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>

            > --
            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
              http://code.google.com/p/droidpcgenviewer/

              > Hi Rob,
              >
              > The PCG format has certainly been discussed in the past and different
              > options canvassed. Currently there is no one driving a change of PCG
              > format.
              >
              > What we do currently support is export to XML format. A custom XML
              > output sheet could be simply created and that could be the basis for
              > your character viewer initially.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James.

            • Rob Allen
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
                > http://code.google.com/p/droidpcgenviewer/

                What?!! Awesomesauce, thanks!

                I may still undertake an effort to do it, though, as an exercise to learn Android development. Hey, why waste time on "hello world" and simple calculator applications? :)

                Rob