creating new races

  • proud_soldier92
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2013
      I am trying to make a new race in our campaign but I have no idea how. Is there a way to make one in the pathfinder sources?
    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2013
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "proud_soldier92" <proud_soldier92@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to make a new race in our campaign but I have no idea how. Is there a way to make one in the pathfinder sources?

        Have a look at a file like:
        /data/d20ogl/paizo/pathfinder_rpg/core_rulebook/pfcr_races_base.lst
        in your PCGen directory.

        And then look at the documentation on List files:
        http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/

        Which is the "programming language" used to code the lst files.
        For coding races, more specifically:
        http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/datafilestagpages/datafilesraces.html

        Try to have a look at those, see if you can figure it out, get back here if you have more questions or go to the specific Yahoo group for LIST file help if you want to know how to make something specific work:

        For example, start with copying the line for a Dwarf, and then give them a different walking speed. Fiddle around with it a bit. Please note that if you download the original PCGen again, you will lose any modifications, but don't worry about that just yet, just make a copy of the file once you're happy with it. If you make more changes like this, at some point it's nicer to make your own "book" also known as a custom dataset. But that's only needed if you've figured out the basics.

        Cheers,

        Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
      • Paul
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2013
          There's also the "my_dataset" under homebrew that has lots of tips and examples listed in it.