Re: Adding bonus skill points

  • murdoctor
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 7:35 AM
      Right, I did that by adjusting the number in the "Gained" column (though it's not obvious that this field is editable), but when I reload the character, it goes back to the original number of skill points in that column, and the "Remaining" column changes to a negative number to account for the extra skill points that I added. Also, the Summary page shows this error message in the "Things to be done" panel (as you indicated it might): "1. Too many Skill ranks chosen - some need to be removed." So clearly it is not happy with that manual point adjustment. I like to use the "Things to be done" as my checklist when I level-up, so I'm concerned that this detected error will pose an obstacle in the future. If I need to manually re-adjust that number every time I level-up and/or need to add skill points, I guess I can do that...

      In any case, I think it would be good for me to learn the LST file method, as this may come in handy for other situations. If you can point me to the place in the docs where it describes how to create an LST file and connect it to an existing character to modify its properties, I think that should suffice. Thanks!

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6, 2013

        Bumping this as a reminder - but there are a few:

        * edit the pcg file (Not a recommended route, but will work to remove the errors)
        * LST code a bonus to skill points (which you apply to the character before leveling)
        * LST code a bonus to a particular class (Same deal, need to level)
        * LST code a special CHOOSER and Tag to get a selection and add ranks directly to a choiceof skills
        (I do this in my Eclipse Classless Set)

        Those are the main methods, hope that helps. And sorry about the gap in reply time. Been hectic in
        real life.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14, 2013
          Thanks again.

          I read through the docs, created an LST file with a bonus to the skills, and created a PCC file that references the LST file. Assuming I have done that all correctly, I still don't see how to "apply it to the character" in the PCGen UI.

          Any pointers?