[Eric] Re: [pcgen] Re: CMP datasets in 6.00 first impression

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2013
      Hi Adriaan,

      On 16/03/2013 1:37 PM rogerwllco wrote

      Raised and fixed. See CODE-2097 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2097>

      >>> 2) The source loading screen is a little awkward, as obviously PCGen suspects a different directory structure to how the CMP data is set up.
      >> Sounds like the vendor directory isn't set up. Please confirm this.
      >>
      > I think it's something with CAMPAIGN, BOOKTYPE, SETTING in the .pcc in combination with directory structure.
      >
      > The data directories are set up like this:
      > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/campaign_setting
      > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement
      >
      > The result is something like this:
      > http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6006/screenshot20130316at032.png
      > What's confusing is that the column labels say [Publisher/Setting/Name][Book Type] this is not what seems to be displayed.

      Two things to check - first change the first column by right clicking -
      does it start to work as you expect then? We've fixed a problem with
      that not behaving well initially in the past. The second is to look at
      what the SETTING tag is in your sources - that is what should be being
      displayed in the second level folder name. The actual folder names are
      not used at all.

      >>> 3) Just like the rsrd (see my message from Jan 11), I get an empty licence screen on start up. Where should it get this licence from? I don't know if the CMP datasets provide any. I might not have put it in the right location, or it might just not be there. Maybe if it can't find a licence, it should not display the screen?
      >> I'll need to investigate. This may be a code UI bug/Freq - I suspect the new UI isn't hooked up for
      >> it any longer.
      > I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE

      As this also happens in the rsrd, and it works for me in the Windows
      version, I am suspecting a Mac packaging issue. Eric, could you comment
      on this one please?

      >>> 4) The initial screen I get after loading my sources looks weird.
      >>> http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3896/screenshot20130314at033.png

      Yeah it wasn't designed to list that many individual sources.

      >>> 5) The GameMode/Campaign tab under Preferences only displays a single "C". http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png

      Fixed.

      >>> 6) Initially on setting the Point Buy method, the last ability mod fr CHA is shown incorrectly. This goes away as soon as you try to change it, so it's probably just a display issue. http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
      >>>
      > I think I understand what's going wrong here. It seems like the redraw of the "Ability Scores" part of the screen happens each time before an update to it, instead of after it, if the update is coming from a different part of the screen. Selecting a different Race will have the same effect as selecting a different Method: the "Ability Scores" part of the screen seems to be missing the last change you did. As it fixes itself as soon as you do something else, I think some kind of redraw or refresh of that part of the GUI is done before the updating is finished.

      Yep, we have fixed a few refresh timing issues like that already.

      >>> 7) In the random name generator, the pronunciation overwrites the Adjust name label.
      >>> http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
      >>>
      > The problem here seems to be that the window is slightly too small and the "Adjust Name" label is connected to the bottom part of the popup screen, so when the buttons below it show up, it moves upwards to make space, covering the "Pronunciation".
      Yes that screen needs a further tidy-up, particularly for those dynamic
      buttons. I've raised it as CODE-2099 - Random Name Generator - Buttons
      overlap field <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2099>

      >>> 8) Is the white space on the right in the Skills selection supposed to hold anything? I really liked how in the 5.x series you could see a list of all the skills you could use, starting with those that you could use untrained and then adding those trained only skills that you bought ranks in. http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9931/screenshot20130314at041.png

      You need to define that in your game mode using the INFOSHEET:SKILLS
      tag. Try adding these lines to your miscinfo:

      PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
      PREVIEWSHEET:Standard.htm
      INFOSHEET:SUMMARY|preview/summary/35e_info.html
      INFOSHEET:SKILLS|preview/skills/35e_skills.html

      You can customise them as you like.

      >> All the above will have to wait till I feel motivated to look at them.
      >>
      >>> 9) I can't see a preview sheet. I get a NPE instead. This might be related to point 10, but I do want to mention it:
      >>> 04:21:13.433 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1 run Unable to process sheet:
      >>> java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
      >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:222)
      >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:83)
      >>> at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1.run(Unknown Source)
      >>> at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
      >>> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:708)
      >>> at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:82)
      >>> at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:669)
      >>> at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:667)
      >>> at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
      >>> at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
      >>> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:678)
      >>> at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
      >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
      >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
      >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
      >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
      >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
      >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
      >>> at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(Unknown Source)
      >>> at pcgen.gui2.facade.CharacterFacadeImpl.export(Unknown Source)
      >>> at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
      >>> at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
      >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
      >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
      >>> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
      >>> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
      >> Unknown. Is the CMP GameMode set up to look at the PREVIEW folder? >Make sure the path is correct.
      > Fixed. The PREVIEW tags were in the CMP miscinfo, but they were commented out. Maybe they didn't work properly in some version of 5.14
      >

      >>> 10) I get 7128 SEVERE errors when just loading a few sources. Maybe some people can explain what a few of these mean. (I do like that the errors mention what file they're from although I omit that here):

      The LST error reporting in 6.0 is vastly improved over 5.16. It sounds
      like there are some KIT entries with syntax that it does not like. In
      most cases these will be things that never worked in previous versions
      but were silently ignored. In particular global tags are not supported
      in kits, only the tags specifically mentioned in the Starting Kits
      documentation should be used.

      It is also calling out some issues with duplicates - you can use the
      "Allow newer sources to override duplicate object from older sources"
      option under Tools > Preferences > PCGen > Sources to safely suppress
      many of these.

      Cheers,
      James.

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
        Ho Folks!

        James Dempsey wrote:

        > >> I'll need to investigate. This may be a code UI bug/Freq - I suspect the new UI isn't hooked up for
        > >> it any longer.
        > > I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE
        >
        > As this also happens in the rsrd, and it works for me in the Windows
        > version, I am suspecting a Mac packaging issue. Eric, could you comment
        > on this one please?

        I've loaded the PFCR with the "Show OGL License" preference turned on and get a blank dialog box.

        I then went in and added the ISLICENSED:YES and LICENSE:This is a test to the PFCR PCC and got a blank OGL dialog and a blank Special License dialog.

        It looks like it may be a Mac issue, though I'm not sure how it could be a Mac packaging issue as I don't do an actual build from the code but use the pcgenx.x.x_full.zip file as the basic mac application and wrap the Mac app stuff around it.

        Maredudd
      • rogerwllco
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
          Might it be using a native OSX widget that doesn't render properly? I don't know if you're using Swing, or SWT or other Java widget tools kits, but I think some of them use native widgets in some cases?

          It could also be the Java version. I'm using
          java version "1.6.0_43"
          Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)
          Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01-447, mixed mode)

          And the pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full zip I downloaded last week does show indeed the same behaviour. It doesn't seem to be the OSX version, but how PCGen behaves on OSX.

          Cheers,

          Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

          > Ho Folks!

          > > > I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE
          > >
          > > As this also happens in the rsrd, and it works for me in the Windows
          > > version, I am suspecting a Mac packaging issue. Eric, could you comment
          > > on this one please?
          >

          > I've loaded the PFCR with the "Show OGL License" preference turned on and get a blank dialog box.
          >
          > I then went in and added the ISLICENSED:YES and LICENSE:This is a test to the PFCR PCC and got a blank OGL dialog and a blank Special License dialog.
          >
          > It looks like it may be a Mac issue, though I'm not sure how it could be a Mac packaging issue as I don't do an actual build from the code but use the pcgenx.x.x_full.zip file as the basic mac application and wrap the Mac app stuff around it.
          >
          > Maredudd

        • rogerwllco
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013

            > Hi Adriaan,
            >
            > On 16/03/2013 1:37 PM rogerwllco wrote

            > >> Hi,

            > Raised and fixed. See CODE-2097 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2097>

            Thank you.

            > >> Sounds like the vendor directory isn't set up. Please confirm this.
            > >>
            > > I think it's something with CAMPAIGN, BOOKTYPE, SETTING in the .pcc in combination with directory structure.
            > >
            > > The data directories are set up like this:
            > > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/campaign_setting
            > > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement
            > >
            > > The result is something like this:
            > > http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6006/screenshot20130316at032.png
            > > What's confusing is that the column labels say [Publisher/Setting/Name][Book Type] this is not what seems to be displayed.
            > >

            > Two things to check - first change the first column by right clicking -
            > does it start to work as you expect then? We've fixed a problem with
            > that not behaving well initially in the past. The second is to look at
            > what the SETTING tag is in your sources - that is what should be being
            > displayed in the second level folder name. The actual folder names are
            > not used at all.

            Ah. I had already tried to change that selection, as the small grey triangle indicated there were more options. I never considered right-clicking though. I don't think that's a very intuitive GUI convention.

            The [Publisher/Format/Setting/Name] option gives me something that makes a lot more sense in what gets displayed:
            http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7339/screenshot20130316at153.png
            What it seems to do is [Publisher/Setting/Format/Name] though.

            I have this in my .pcc

            CAMPAIGN:wotc - Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting v3.5e
            RANK:4
            GAMEMODE:CMP_DnD_Forgotten_Realms_v35e
            GENRE:Fantasy
            BOOKTYPE:Campaign Setting
            PUBNAMELONG:Wizards of the Coast, Inc
            PUBNAMESHORT:wotc
            PUBNAMEWEB:http://www.wizards.com/welcome.asp
            SETTING:Forgotten Realms
            TYPE:Wizards of the Coast.Forgotten Realms.Campaign Setting
            SOURCELONG:Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
            SOURCESHORT:frcs
            SOURCEWEB:http://www.wizards.com/welcome.asp
            SOURCEDATE:2001-05
            ISD20:YES
            ISOGL:NO
            ISLICENSED:YES

            > Yeah it wasn't designed to list that many individual sources.

            I usually run with at least 20. I considered the selection in my screenshot a small selection for testing purposes.

            > Fixed.

            Thank you

            > > I think I understand what's going wrong here. It seems like the redraw of the "Ability Scores" part of the screen happens each time before an update to it, instead of after it, if the update is coming from a different part of the screen. Selecting a different Race will have the same effect as selecting a different Method: the "Ability Scores" part of the screen seems to be missing the last change you did. As it fixes itself as soon as you do something else, I think some kind of redraw or refresh of that part of the GUI is done before the updating is finished.
            >
            > Yep, we have fixed a few refresh timing issues like that already.

            This one still occurs in the latest 6.01.01 and 6.00.01RC1 that I downloaded. To test: load rsrd player, new character, select Elf as race. No racial modifiers will be shown until something else forces a refresh.

            > > The problem here seems to be that the window is slightly too small and the "Adjust Name" label is connected to the bottom part of the popup screen, so when the buttons below it show up, it moves upwards to make space, covering the "Pronunciation".
            > Yes that screen needs a further tidy-up, particularly for those dynamic
            > buttons. I've raised it as CODE-2099 - Random Name Generator - Buttons
            > overlap field <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2099>

            Thank you. I do like the new random name generator by the way.

            > You need to define that in your game mode using the INFOSHEET:SKILLS
            > tag. Try adding these lines to your miscinfo:
            >
            > PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
            > PREVIEWSHEET:Standard.htm
            > INFOSHEET:SUMMARY|preview/summary/35e_info.html
            > INFOSHEET:SKILLS|preview/skills/35e_skills.html
            >
            > You can customise them as you like.

            Thank you, that fixed the issue.

            > The LST error reporting in 6.0 is vastly improved over 5.16. It sounds
            > like there are some KIT entries with syntax that it does not like. In
            > most cases these will be things that never worked in previous versions
            > but were silently ignored. In particular global tags are not supported
            > in kits, only the tags specifically mentioned in the Starting Kits
            > documentation should be used.

            O.k. I never really used kits.

            > It is also calling out some issues with duplicates - you can use the
            > "Allow newer sources to override duplicate object from older sources"
            > option under Tools > Preferences > PCGen > Sources to safely suppress
            > many of these.

            That makes a huge difference. I think it's 90%% of my errors. The remaining lines in the log now do seem to be actual errors. does it use SOURCEDATE to determine this, or does it take RANK into account as well?

            > Cheers,
            > James.

          • rogerwllco
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2013
              Oh, and by the way:
              I really like how much more detailed the SEVERE errors are that get reported in the log. With file name, and line number and very often a descriptive error message that by itself is enough to go in and fix the error without having to go on a treasure hunt in the general LST documentation.
            • rogerwllco
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013
                I was browsing the PCGen code while trying to figure something els out and I came accross the code that seems to do this in PCGenFrame.java line 1636

                What it seems to do is:
                sec15.append(readTextFromFile(ConfigurationSettings.getSystemsDir() + File.separator + "opengaminglicense.10a.txt"));

                I've checked and the opengaminglicense.10a.txt exists in the right location. My guess would be that maybe File.separator is incorrectly determined?