Re: [pcgen] CMP datasets in 6.00 first impression

  • Ainvar G
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15 9:08 AM
      Wow! I'd given up on those old datasets ages ago! Well done! Some lingering concerns, but still, well done!

      Did you by chance document your process in a fashion you could share with someone?

      AinvarG

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15 9:31 AM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Ainvar G <ainvarg@...> wrote:

        > Wow! I'd given up on those old datasets ages ago! Well done! Some lingering concerns, but still, well done!
        >
        > Did you by chance document your process in a fashion you could share with someone?
        >
        > AinvarG

        The simple answer is:
        - Feed dataset to converter.
        - Fix what it complains about.
        - Feed dataset to converter to see if it's happy now.

        I might try to write a more detailed conversion guide once I have fixed problems reported in the OP as I could then use diff between my original 5.14 CMP data and a working version in 6.00 to give a more detailed description as I didn't really keep a log.

        Cheers,

        Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 15 1:29 PM

          On 3/13/2013 8:24 PM, rogerwllco wrote:
          > I'm now running PCGen for the first time after converting my CMP datasets to 6.00
          >
          > 1) MENUENTRY:"D&&D Forgotten Realms v3.5e" is displayed as "DD Forgotten Realms v3.5e". It seems the && is being ignored even though this used to work in earlier versions and the documentation explicitly mentions it http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/systemfilestagpages/gamemodemiscinfolist.html#MENUENTRY
          >
          > 2) The source loading screen is a little awkward, as obviously PCGen suspects a different directory structure to how the CMP data is set up.

          Sounds like the vendor directory isn't set up. Please confirm this.

          > 3) Just like the rsrd (see my message from Jan 11), I get an empty licence screen on start up. Where should it get this licence from? I don't know if the CMP datasets provide any. I might not have put it in the right location, or it might just not be there. Maybe if it can't find a licence, it should not display the screen?

          I'll need to investigate. This may be a code UI bug/Freq - I suspect the new UI isn't hooked up for
          it any longer.

          > 4) The initial screen I get after loading my sources looks weird.
          > http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3896/screenshot20130314at033.png
          >
          > 5) The GameMode/Campaign tab under Preferences only displays a single "C". http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
          >
          > 6) Initially on setting the Point Buy method, the last ability mod fr CHA is shown incorrectly. This goes away as soon as you try to change it, so it's probably just a display issue. http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
          >
          > 7) In the random name generator, the pronunciation overwrites the Adjust name label.
          > http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
          >
          > 8) Is the white space on the right in the Skills selection supposed to hold anything? I really liked how in the 5.x series you could see a list of all the skills you could use, starting with those that you could use untrained and then adding those trained only skills that you bought ranks in. http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9931/screenshot20130314at041.png

          All the above will have to wait till I feel motivated to look at them.

          > 9) I can't see a preview sheet. I get a NPE instead. This might be related to point 10, but I do want to mention it:
          > 04:21:13.433 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1 run Unable to process sheet:
          > java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
          > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:222)
          > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:83)
          > at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1.run(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
          > at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:708)
          > at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:82)
          > at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:669)
          > at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:667)
          > at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
          > at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:678)
          > at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
          > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
          > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
          > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
          > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
          > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
          > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
          > at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui2.facade.CharacterFacadeImpl.export(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
          > at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
          > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
          > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
          > at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
          > at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)

          Unknown. Is the CMP GameMode set up to look at the PREVIEW folder? Make sure the path is correct.

          > 10) I get 7128 SEVERE errors when just loading a few sources. Maybe some people can explain what a few of these mean. (I do like that the errors mention what file they're from although I omit that here):
          >
          > A)
          > 03:15:51.139 LSTERROR main pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Missing Documentation: /Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen 6.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/docs/tabpages/players/tabraces.html
          > 03:15:51.140 LSTERROR main pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Illegal Token 'CONTEXT' 'tabpages\players\tabraces.html' for pcgen.cdom.content.TabInfo Race in null

          GameMode - Docs got changed. You can update the paths, look at the gamemode files we use to see how
          that is set up today.

          > B)
          > 03:21:25.708 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Unsure what to do with line with prefix: AUTO. Line was: AUTO:LANG|Mulhorandi

          Kits aren't meant to use AUTO. Perhaps the desired tag is LANGBONUS:x|x?

          > C)
          > 03:21:26.134 LSTERROR Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.KitLoader parseLine Illegal Token 'EQUIPSELL' '.5' for pcgen.core.Kit SurfaceDrowA2

          I don't see any EQUIPSELL just EQUIPBUY.

          > D)
          > 03:21:26.153 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.persistence.lst.LstObjectFileLoader storeObject WARNING: Duplicate object name: Goblin ~ Default

          Uh, means you have two objects using the same KEY. Check your loaded sources.

          > E)
          > 03:21:27.272 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.cdom.reference.AbstractReferenceManufacturer validateDuplicates More than one Spell with key/name Prismatic Eye was built

          Means you have two Spells using the same KEY of 'Prismatic Eye'

          > F)
          > 03:21:27.657 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Invalid use of MULT:YES Ability Improved Critical where a target [parens] is required
          > 03:21:27.657 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve PLEASE TAKE NOTE: If usage locations are reported, not all usages are necessary illegal (at least one is)

          Likely a kit, or a hidden feat is granting the Improved Critical but it's missing a selection - You
          need to change to a selection by using an BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|x|y

          > G)
          > 03:21:27.660 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.cdom.reference.AbstractReferenceManufacturer getObject Reference to Constructed Ability Category FEAT Leadership is ambiguous

          Leadership is duplicated or is being referenced twice.

          > H)
          > 03:21:27.664 SEVERE Thread-7 pcgen.core.AbilityCategory doResolve Unconstructed Reference: Ability Category FEAT Portal Sensitive

          Something is looking for the Feat 'Portal Sensitive' but it's not being loaded or is misspelled, or
          doesn't exist.

        • rogerwllco
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 15 7:37 PM

            > On 3/13/2013 8:24 PM, rogerwllco wrote:
            > > I'm now running PCGen for the first time after converting my CMP datasets to 6.00
            > >
            > > 1) MENUENTRY:"D&&D Forgotten Realms v3.5e" is displayed as "DD Forgotten Realms v3.5e". It seems the && is being ignored even though this used to work in earlier versions and the documentation explicitly mentions it http://www.pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/listfilepages/systemfilestagpages/gamemodemiscinfolist.html#MENUENTRY
            > >
            > > 2) The source loading screen is a little awkward, as obviously PCGen suspects a different directory structure to how the CMP data is set up.
            >
            > Sounds like the vendor directory isn't set up. Please confirm this.

            I think it's something with CAMPAIGN, BOOKTYPE, SETTING in the .pcc in combination with directory structure.

            The data directories are set up like this:
            /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/campaign_setting
            /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement

            The result is something like this:
            http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6006/screenshot20130316at032.png
            What's confusing is that the column labels say [Publisher/Setting/Name][Book Type] this is not what seems to be displayed.

            > > 3) Just like the rsrd (see my message from Jan 11), I get an empty licence screen on start up. Where should it get this licence from? I don't know if the CMP datasets provide any. I might not have put it in the right location, or it might just not be there. Maybe if it can't find a licence, it should not display the screen?
            >
            > I'll need to investigate. This may be a code UI bug/Freq - I suspect the new UI isn't hooked up for
            > it any longer.

            I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE

            > > 4) The initial screen I get after loading my sources looks weird.
            > > http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3896/screenshot20130314at033.png
            > >
            > > 5) The GameMode/Campaign tab under Preferences only displays a single "C". http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
            > >
            > > 6) Initially on setting the Point Buy method, the last ability mod fr CHA is shown incorrectly. This goes away as soon as you try to change it, so it's probably just a display issue. http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png

            I think I understand what's going wrong here. It seems like the redraw of the "Ability Scores" part of the screen happens each time before an update to it, instead of after it, if the update is coming from a different part of the screen. Selecting a different Race will have the same effect as selecting a different Method: the "Ability Scores" part of the screen seems to be missing the last change you did. As it fixes itself as soon as you do something else, I think some kind of redraw or refresh of that part of the GUI is done before the updating is finished.

            > > 7) In the random name generator, the pronunciation overwrites the Adjust name label.
            > > http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png

            The problem here seems to be that the window is slightly too small and the "Adjust Name" label is connected to the bottom part of the popup screen, so when the buttons below it show up, it moves upwards to make space, covering the "Pronunciation".

            > > 8) Is the white space on the right in the Skills selection supposed to hold anything? I really liked how in the 5.x series you could see a list of all the skills you could use, starting with those that you could use untrained and then adding those trained only skills that you bought ranks in. http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9931/screenshot20130314at041.png
            >
            > All the above will have to wait till I feel motivated to look at them.
            >

            > > 9) I can't see a preview sheet. I get a NPE instead. This might be related to point 10, but I do want to mention it:
            > > 04:21:13.433 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1 run Unable to process sheet:
            > > java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
            > > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:222)
            > > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:83)
            > > at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1.run(Unknown Source)
            > > at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
            > > at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:708)
            > > at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:82)
            > > at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:669)
            > > at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:667)
            > > at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
            > > at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:678)
            > > at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
            > > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
            > > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
            > > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
            > > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
            > > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
            > > at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
            > > at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(Unknown Source)
            > > at pcgen.gui2.facade.CharacterFacadeImpl.export(Unknown Source)
            > > at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
            > > at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
            > > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
            > > at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
            > > at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
            > > at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
            >
            > Unknown. Is the CMP GameMode set up to look at the PREVIEW folder? >Make sure the path is correct.

            Fixed. The PREVIEW tags were in the CMP miscinfo, but they were commented out. Maybe they didn't work properly in some version of 5.14

            > > 10) I get 7128 SEVERE errors when just loading a few sources. Maybe some people can explain what a few of these mean. (I do like that the errors mention what file they're from although I omit that here):
            > >
            > > A)
            > > 03:15:51.139 LSTERROR main pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Missing Documentation: /Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/PCGen 6.00.0.app/Contents/Resources/Java/docs/tabpages/players/tabraces.html
            > > 03:15:51.140 LSTERROR main pcgen.persistence.lst.SimpleLoader processToken Illegal Token 'CONTEXT' 'tabpages\players\tabraces.html' for pcgen.cdom.content.TabInfo Race in null
            >
            > GameMode - Docs got changed. You can update the paths, look at the gamemode files we use to see how
            > that is set up today.

            Thanks, I fixed it.

            I haven't looked at the rest yet, I will figure out some more from your other comments when I get to it over the weekend or next week.
            These tips were already very helpful.

            Cheers,

            Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 15 10:59 PM
              Hi Adriaan,

              On 16/03/2013 1:37 PM rogerwllco wrote

              Raised and fixed. See CODE-2097 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2097>

              >>> 2) The source loading screen is a little awkward, as obviously PCGen suspects a different directory structure to how the CMP data is set up.
              >> Sounds like the vendor directory isn't set up. Please confirm this.
              >>
              > I think it's something with CAMPAIGN, BOOKTYPE, SETTING in the .pcc in combination with directory structure.
              >
              > The data directories are set up like this:
              > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/campaign_setting
              > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement
              >
              > The result is something like this:
              > http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6006/screenshot20130316at032.png
              > What's confusing is that the column labels say [Publisher/Setting/Name][Book Type] this is not what seems to be displayed.

              Two things to check - first change the first column by right clicking -
              does it start to work as you expect then? We've fixed a problem with
              that not behaving well initially in the past. The second is to look at
              what the SETTING tag is in your sources - that is what should be being
              displayed in the second level folder name. The actual folder names are
              not used at all.

              >>> 3) Just like the rsrd (see my message from Jan 11), I get an empty licence screen on start up. Where should it get this licence from? I don't know if the CMP datasets provide any. I might not have put it in the right location, or it might just not be there. Maybe if it can't find a licence, it should not display the screen?
              >> I'll need to investigate. This may be a code UI bug/Freq - I suspect the new UI isn't hooked up for
              >> it any longer.
              > I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE

              As this also happens in the rsrd, and it works for me in the Windows
              version, I am suspecting a Mac packaging issue. Eric, could you comment
              on this one please?

              >>> 4) The initial screen I get after loading my sources looks weird.
              >>> http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3896/screenshot20130314at033.png

              Yeah it wasn't designed to list that many individual sources.

              >>> 5) The GameMode/Campaign tab under Preferences only displays a single "C". http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png

              Fixed.

              >>> 6) Initially on setting the Point Buy method, the last ability mod fr CHA is shown incorrectly. This goes away as soon as you try to change it, so it's probably just a display issue. http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
              >>>
              > I think I understand what's going wrong here. It seems like the redraw of the "Ability Scores" part of the screen happens each time before an update to it, instead of after it, if the update is coming from a different part of the screen. Selecting a different Race will have the same effect as selecting a different Method: the "Ability Scores" part of the screen seems to be missing the last change you did. As it fixes itself as soon as you do something else, I think some kind of redraw or refresh of that part of the GUI is done before the updating is finished.

              Yep, we have fixed a few refresh timing issues like that already.

              >>> 7) In the random name generator, the pronunciation overwrites the Adjust name label.
              >>> http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9038/screenshot20130314at040.png
              >>>
              > The problem here seems to be that the window is slightly too small and the "Adjust Name" label is connected to the bottom part of the popup screen, so when the buttons below it show up, it moves upwards to make space, covering the "Pronunciation".
              Yes that screen needs a further tidy-up, particularly for those dynamic
              buttons. I've raised it as CODE-2099 - Random Name Generator - Buttons
              overlap field <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2099>

              >>> 8) Is the white space on the right in the Skills selection supposed to hold anything? I really liked how in the 5.x series you could see a list of all the skills you could use, starting with those that you could use untrained and then adding those trained only skills that you bought ranks in. http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9931/screenshot20130314at041.png

              You need to define that in your game mode using the INFOSHEET:SKILLS
              tag. Try adding these lines to your miscinfo:

              PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
              PREVIEWSHEET:Standard.htm
              INFOSHEET:SUMMARY|preview/summary/35e_info.html
              INFOSHEET:SKILLS|preview/skills/35e_skills.html

              You can customise them as you like.

              >> All the above will have to wait till I feel motivated to look at them.
              >>
              >>> 9) I can't see a preview sheet. I get a NPE instead. This might be related to point 10, but I do want to mention it:
              >>> 04:21:13.433 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1 run Unable to process sheet:
              >>> java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
              >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerGet(FutureTask.java:222)
              >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:83)
              >>> at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$RefreshTask$1.run(Unknown Source)
              >>> at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
              >>> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:708)
              >>> at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(EventQueue.java:82)
              >>> at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:669)
              >>> at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(EventQueue.java:667)
              >>> at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
              >>> at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(AccessControlContext.java:87)
              >>> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:678)
              >>> at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
              >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
              >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
              >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
              >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
              >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
              >>> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
              >>> at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(Unknown Source)
              >>> at pcgen.gui2.facade.CharacterFacadeImpl.export(Unknown Source)
              >>> at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
              >>> at pcgen.gui2.csheet.CharacterSheetPanel$DocumentConstructor.call(Unknown Source)
              >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
              >>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
              >>> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
              >>> at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
              >> Unknown. Is the CMP GameMode set up to look at the PREVIEW folder? >Make sure the path is correct.
              > Fixed. The PREVIEW tags were in the CMP miscinfo, but they were commented out. Maybe they didn't work properly in some version of 5.14
              >

              >>> 10) I get 7128 SEVERE errors when just loading a few sources. Maybe some people can explain what a few of these mean. (I do like that the errors mention what file they're from although I omit that here):

              The LST error reporting in 6.0 is vastly improved over 5.16. It sounds
              like there are some KIT entries with syntax that it does not like. In
              most cases these will be things that never worked in previous versions
              but were silently ignored. In particular global tags are not supported
              in kits, only the tags specifically mentioned in the Starting Kits
              documentation should be used.

              It is also calling out some issues with duplicates - you can use the
              "Allow newer sources to override duplicate object from older sources"
              option under Tools > Preferences > PCGen > Sources to safely suppress
              many of these.

              Cheers,
              James.

            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 16 5:51 AM
                Ho Folks!

                James Dempsey wrote:

                > >> I'll need to investigate. This may be a code UI bug/Freq - I suspect the new UI isn't hooked up for
                > >> it any longer.
                > > I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE
                >
                > As this also happens in the rsrd, and it works for me in the Windows
                > version, I am suspecting a Mac packaging issue. Eric, could you comment
                > on this one please?

                I've loaded the PFCR with the "Show OGL License" preference turned on and get a blank dialog box.

                I then went in and added the ISLICENSED:YES and LICENSE:This is a test to the PFCR PCC and got a blank OGL dialog and a blank Special License dialog.

                It looks like it may be a Mac issue, though I'm not sure how it could be a Mac packaging issue as I don't do an actual build from the code but use the pcgenx.x.x_full.zip file as the basic mac application and wrap the Mac app stuff around it.

                Maredudd
              • rogerwllco
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 16 7:24 AM
                  Might it be using a native OSX widget that doesn't render properly? I don't know if you're using Swing, or SWT or other Java widget tools kits, but I think some of them use native widgets in some cases?

                  It could also be the Java version. I'm using
                  java version "1.6.0_43"
                  Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_43-b01-447-11M4203)
                  Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01-447, mixed mode)

                  And the pcgen-6.00.01RC1-SNAPSHOT-full zip I downloaded last week does show indeed the same behaviour. It doesn't seem to be the OSX version, but how PCGen behaves on OSX.

                  Cheers,

                  Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

                  > Ho Folks!

                  > > > I do have LICENCE text in the .pcc files and ISLICENCED:YSE
                  > >
                  > > As this also happens in the rsrd, and it works for me in the Windows
                  > > version, I am suspecting a Mac packaging issue. Eric, could you comment
                  > > on this one please?
                  >

                  > I've loaded the PFCR with the "Show OGL License" preference turned on and get a blank dialog box.
                  >
                  > I then went in and added the ISLICENSED:YES and LICENSE:This is a test to the PFCR PCC and got a blank OGL dialog and a blank Special License dialog.
                  >
                  > It looks like it may be a Mac issue, though I'm not sure how it could be a Mac packaging issue as I don't do an actual build from the code but use the pcgenx.x.x_full.zip file as the basic mac application and wrap the Mac app stuff around it.
                  >
                  > Maredudd

                • rogerwllco
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 16 7:54 AM

                    > Hi Adriaan,
                    >
                    > On 16/03/2013 1:37 PM rogerwllco wrote

                    > >> Hi,

                    > Raised and fixed. See CODE-2097 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2097>

                    Thank you.

                    > >> Sounds like the vendor directory isn't set up. Please confirm this.
                    > >>
                    > > I think it's something with CAMPAIGN, BOOKTYPE, SETTING in the .pcc in combination with directory structure.
                    > >
                    > > The data directories are set up like this:
                    > > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/campaign_setting
                    > > /vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement
                    > >
                    > > The result is something like this:
                    > > http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6006/screenshot20130316at032.png
                    > > What's confusing is that the column labels say [Publisher/Setting/Name][Book Type] this is not what seems to be displayed.
                    > >

                    > Two things to check - first change the first column by right clicking -
                    > does it start to work as you expect then? We've fixed a problem with
                    > that not behaving well initially in the past. The second is to look at
                    > what the SETTING tag is in your sources - that is what should be being
                    > displayed in the second level folder name. The actual folder names are
                    > not used at all.

                    Ah. I had already tried to change that selection, as the small grey triangle indicated there were more options. I never considered right-clicking though. I don't think that's a very intuitive GUI convention.

                    The [Publisher/Format/Setting/Name] option gives me something that makes a lot more sense in what gets displayed:
                    http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7339/screenshot20130316at153.png
                    What it seems to do is [Publisher/Setting/Format/Name] though.

                    I have this in my .pcc

                    CAMPAIGN:wotc - Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting v3.5e
                    RANK:4
                    GAMEMODE:CMP_DnD_Forgotten_Realms_v35e
                    GENRE:Fantasy
                    BOOKTYPE:Campaign Setting
                    PUBNAMELONG:Wizards of the Coast, Inc
                    PUBNAMESHORT:wotc
                    PUBNAMEWEB:http://www.wizards.com/welcome.asp
                    SETTING:Forgotten Realms
                    TYPE:Wizards of the Coast.Forgotten Realms.Campaign Setting
                    SOURCELONG:Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
                    SOURCESHORT:frcs
                    SOURCEWEB:http://www.wizards.com/welcome.asp
                    SOURCEDATE:2001-05
                    ISD20:YES
                    ISOGL:NO
                    ISLICENSED:YES

                    > Yeah it wasn't designed to list that many individual sources.

                    I usually run with at least 20. I considered the selection in my screenshot a small selection for testing purposes.

                    > Fixed.

                    Thank you

                    > > I think I understand what's going wrong here. It seems like the redraw of the "Ability Scores" part of the screen happens each time before an update to it, instead of after it, if the update is coming from a different part of the screen. Selecting a different Race will have the same effect as selecting a different Method: the "Ability Scores" part of the screen seems to be missing the last change you did. As it fixes itself as soon as you do something else, I think some kind of redraw or refresh of that part of the GUI is done before the updating is finished.
                    >
                    > Yep, we have fixed a few refresh timing issues like that already.

                    This one still occurs in the latest 6.01.01 and 6.00.01RC1 that I downloaded. To test: load rsrd player, new character, select Elf as race. No racial modifiers will be shown until something else forces a refresh.

                    > > The problem here seems to be that the window is slightly too small and the "Adjust Name" label is connected to the bottom part of the popup screen, so when the buttons below it show up, it moves upwards to make space, covering the "Pronunciation".
                    > Yes that screen needs a further tidy-up, particularly for those dynamic
                    > buttons. I've raised it as CODE-2099 - Random Name Generator - Buttons
                    > overlap field <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-2099>

                    Thank you. I do like the new random name generator by the way.

                    > You need to define that in your game mode using the INFOSHEET:SKILLS
                    > tag. Try adding these lines to your miscinfo:
                    >
                    > PREVIEWDIR:d20/fantasy
                    > PREVIEWSHEET:Standard.htm
                    > INFOSHEET:SUMMARY|preview/summary/35e_info.html
                    > INFOSHEET:SKILLS|preview/skills/35e_skills.html
                    >
                    > You can customise them as you like.

                    Thank you, that fixed the issue.

                    > The LST error reporting in 6.0 is vastly improved over 5.16. It sounds
                    > like there are some KIT entries with syntax that it does not like. In
                    > most cases these will be things that never worked in previous versions
                    > but were silently ignored. In particular global tags are not supported
                    > in kits, only the tags specifically mentioned in the Starting Kits
                    > documentation should be used.

                    O.k. I never really used kits.

                    > It is also calling out some issues with duplicates - you can use the
                    > "Allow newer sources to override duplicate object from older sources"
                    > option under Tools > Preferences > PCGen > Sources to safely suppress
                    > many of these.

                    That makes a huge difference. I think it's 90%% of my errors. The remaining lines in the log now do seem to be actual errors. does it use SOURCEDATE to determine this, or does it take RANK into account as well?

                    > Cheers,
                    > James.

                  • rogerwllco
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 16 8:10 AM
                      Oh, and by the way:
                      I really like how much more detailed the SEVERE errors are that get reported in the log. With file name, and line number and very often a descriptive error message that by itself is enough to go in and fix the error without having to go on a treasure hunt in the general LST documentation.
                    • rogerwllco
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 20 6:19 AM
                        I was browsing the PCGen code while trying to figure something els out and I came accross the code that seems to do this in PCGenFrame.java line 1636

                        What it seems to do is:
                        sec15.append(readTextFromFile(ConfigurationSettings.getSystemsDir() + File.separator + "opengaminglicense.10a.txt"));

                        I've checked and the opengaminglicense.10a.txt exists in the right location. My guess would be that maybe File.separator is incorrectly determined?