A little help would be nice, please.

  • sconjulusa@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3 1:04 PM
      I think I may be missing files some where or I am just so new to DnD that I cannot find my way around this program.

      I would like to build a 4e character in PCGen but my copy only shows the ability to create 3.5. and under. Did i miss something.

      Sorry for asking.
      Steve
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3 2:07 PM
        DnD 4E is not Open Game Content, so we can not and do not distributeit.
        We also do not allow folks to post nor ask for copies of the list files.

        If you would like to buildyour own list files, we can certainly help.

        -- david
        Papa.DRB

        My better half and me (jpg)

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3 2:08 PM
          Hi Steve,

          PCGen supports the ability to make 4th edition characters. But the restrictions
          placed upon us by the (GSL) license put forth by Wizards of the Coast, is we
          can't officially put out any data sets for 4th edition in our release.Without
          their core books, we can't really support our publishers that want to build upon
          4e. Kinda makes life hard on everyone. :-(

          However, several options are available to you:
          a) You can create homebrew files for your personal use - We're more than happy
          to assist in this endeavor (I've made one for the testing, and I know a few are
          out there in the wild that prove it can be done).
          b) Join a group that is running a 4e game that already uses the files - That
          requires some looking, but it's an option.
          c) Join one of the games I run. (My wife has restricted the number games I'm
          allowed to run :P But I do run quite a few.)

          Just as a small reminder, we do ask that people not SOLICIT for closed content
          sources.

          Good luck with whichever option you choose to pursue.
          --
          Andrew

          ________________________________
          I think I may be missing files some where or I am just so new to DnD that I
          cannot find my way around this program.

          I would like to build a 4e character in PCGen but my copy only shows the ability
          to create 3.5. and under. Did i miss something.

          Sorry for asking.
          Steve

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sconjulusa@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3 2:22 PM
            Andrew I would like to make a home-brew set. How do i go about this. I am sorry I was not soliciting for files, i was under the impression that the ability to create the PCs were there.

            Please I would enjoy making my own lists.

            Thank you and again I'm sorry
            Steve

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 3:14 PM
              Hi Steve,

              I know you weren't soliciting, that was just a simple reminder of the rules. I understand completely
              you were under one impression and sought to seek enlightenment.

              (Note to self, less sugary goodness on Sundays)

              Making your own LST files is not too difficult. Luckily, the files are plain text, so any Text
              Editor will do nicely. However, making your files is a bit of a commitment. I'd suggest starting
              with only items you need for yourself and your group, instead of trying to code an entire book.

              /I should pull out the 4e skeleton set, dust it off, since that would make things easier for eager
              folk such as yourself./

              Anyways, tools:

              * Text Editor (Syntax Highlighting is always a plus!)
              * PCGen Documentation with the LST Index of Tags (This is the Bible of Tags you can use, and
              where) in the program it's in the menu.
              * PCGen Documentation How to LST Code Classes
              * Our PCGen Yahoo Group 'ListFileHelp' is a wonderful place to ask the "How can I code up this?"
              questions
              * Advanced Tools to make your life easier can be found through our wiki - http://wiki.pcgen.org
              (Under the Content/Data Team)
              * Me, yes, I suppose I'm another tool in that coding tool box. When you reach a point where you
              feel you've hit that "wall", I'm one of the guides to assist you along. I also have a good idea
              of what can and can't be done today.

              With all that, you just jump on in and begin coding.

              Cheers,