Remove a spell-like ability granted by a race

  • koenig.trex
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
      Hello,

      I am using version 6.0.0.
      In D&D v3.5 the drow have some spell-like abilities (SLA), usable once per day. The supplement Drow of the Underdark contains several feats that grant additional uses to some of these SLA.

      Now I want to edit the Drow. I want to define variables that contains the quantity for these SLA.

      This produces an error:
      SPELLS:.CLEAR

      Than I tried to crack a nut with a sledgehammer:
      Elf (Drow).CLEAR
      Elf (Drow) ...

      The result is:
      10:49:27.979 SEVERE Thread-21 LstObjectFileLoader:243 WARNING: Duplicate object name: Elf (Drow)
      WARNING: Not loading duplicate.
      10:49:32.26 SEVERE Thread-21 AbstractReferenceManufacturer:922 More than one Race with key/name Elf (Drow) was built
      10:49:32.27 SEVERE Thread-21 AbstractReferenceManufacturer:452 Reference to Constructed Race Elf (Drow) is ambiguous

      Another try with a sledgehammer:
      Elf (Drow).CLEAR
      Elf (Drow).MOD ...

      This doesn't throw a warning or error, but now I can select the race "Elf (Drow).CLEAR".

      So, how do I modify (direct modify, or remove an add) the spell-like abilities granted by a race?

      Thanks in advance,
      Helge
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2013
        Hi Helge,

        Questions of this nature belong over on our Lst File Help group - which is where folks give advice
        on such interesting questions.

        Now, to answer the question.

        You cannot directly 'Clear' a race. You can .FORGET one, but then you'll be without the Race.

        In your present case, I would recommend creating a new race based off the old one. The reason being
        is you can't modify the SPELLS tag inside a race.

        However, the good news is, if you can open a Feature Request, a monkey of experience can often times
        alter the race for you so you can modify such things in the future. (I wouldn't mind doing that for
        you, it's only 5 minutes of effort to make it work as you seem to want.)

        Now, if you don't mind doing the work yourself, you can simply alter the race entry. I'm guessing
        the Times are what you want to alter, correct?

        The Times would need a Variable which Requires a DEFINE tag.

        I'm at work, so I don't have the available free time to look at the supplement and what all it
        changes, but if you give me exact items you need, I can change those.

        Cheers,

        On 2/21/2013 1:56 AM, koenig.trex wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am using version 6.0.0.
        > In D&D v3.5 the drow have some spell-like abilities (SLA), usable once per day. The supplement Drow of the Underdark contains several feats that grant additional uses to some of these SLA.
        >
        > Now I want to edit the Drow. I want to define variables that contains the quantity for these SLA.
        >
        > This produces an error:
        > SPELLS:.CLEAR
        >
        > Than I tried to crack a nut with a sledgehammer:
        > Elf (Drow).CLEAR
        > Elf (Drow) ...
        >
        > The result is:
        > 10:49:27.979 SEVERE Thread-21 LstObjectFileLoader:243 WARNING: Duplicate object name: Elf (Drow)
        > WARNING: Not loading duplicate.
        > 10:49:32.26 SEVERE Thread-21 AbstractReferenceManufacturer:922 More than one Race with key/name Elf (Drow) was built
        > 10:49:32.27 SEVERE Thread-21 AbstractReferenceManufacturer:452 Reference to Constructed Race Elf (Drow) is ambiguous
        >
        > Another try with a sledgehammer:
        > Elf (Drow).CLEAR
        > Elf (Drow).MOD ...
        >
        > This doesn't throw a warning or error, but now I can select the race "Elf (Drow).CLEAR".
        >
        > So, how do I modify (direct modify, or remove an add) the spell-like abilities granted by a race?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Helge

      • koenig.trex
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
          Hello Andrew,

          > Questions of this nature belong over on our Lst File Help group - which is where folks give advice
          > on such interesting questions.

          oops, sorry.

          > Now, to answer the question.
          >
          > You cannot directly 'Clear' a race. You can .FORGET one, but then you'll be without the Race.
          >
          > In your present case, I would recommend creating a new race based off the old one. The reason being
          > is you can't modify the SPELLS tag inside a race.

          Well, it's easy to create a new race named Drow, but then I have to modify each object that has Elf (Drow) as a prerequisite. This is why I prefer to modify an existing race.

          > However, the good news is, if you can open a Feature Request, a monkey of experience can often times
          > alter the race for you so you can modify such things in the future. (I wouldn't mind doing that for
          > you, it's only 5 minutes of effort to make it work as you seem to want.)
          >
          > Now, if you don't mind doing the work yourself, you can simply alter the race entry. I'm guessing
          > the Times are what you want to alter, correct?

          Yes. This is my current work:
          -
          DEFINE:DancingLightsTimes|1
          DEFINE:DarknessTimes|1
          DEFINE:FaerieFireTimes|1
          SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=DancingLightsTimes|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing Lights,10+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
          SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=DarknessTimes|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Darkness,12+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
          SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=FaerieFireTimes|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
          -

          > The Times would need a Variable which Requires a DEFINE tag.
          >
          > I'm at work, so I don't have the available free time to look at the supplement and what all it
          > changes, but if you give me exact items you need, I can change those.

          The Drow is defined in rsrd_races_e_f.lst, the specific tag is
          -
          SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
          -

          Thanks,
          Helge
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013

            DATA-933 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-933>
            *Make Drow SLAs modifiable* <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-933>
            Completed at Revision: 19517

            Also, to remove the Spell-Like Ability. You can now use

            ABILITY:Special Ability|AUTOMATIC|.CLEAR.Spell-Like Abilities ~ Drow

            Spells Tags have been moved to the Actual Ability.

            Cheers,

            On 2/22/2013 12:03 AM, koenig.trex wrote:
            > Hello Andrew,
            >
            >> Questions of this nature belong over on our Lst File Help group - which is where folks give advice
            >> on such interesting questions.
            > oops, sorry.
            >
            >> Now, to answer the question.
            >>
            >> You cannot directly 'Clear' a race. You can .FORGET one, but then you'll be without the Race.
            >>
            >> In your present case, I would recommend creating a new race based off the old one. The reason being
            >> is you can't modify the SPELLS tag inside a race.
            > Well, it's easy to create a new race named Drow, but then I have to modify each object that has Elf (Drow) as a prerequisite. This is why I prefer to modify an existing race.
            >
            >> However, the good news is, if you can open a Feature Request, a monkey of experience can often times
            >> alter the race for you so you can modify such things in the future. (I wouldn't mind doing that for
            >> you, it's only 5 minutes of effort to make it work as you seem to want.)
            >>
            >> Now, if you don't mind doing the work yourself, you can simply alter the race entry. I'm guessing
            >> the Times are what you want to alter, correct?
            > Yes. This is my current work:
            > -
            > DEFINE:DancingLightsTimes|1
            > DEFINE:DarknessTimes|1
            > DEFINE:FaerieFireTimes|1
            > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=DancingLightsTimes|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing Lights,10+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
            > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=DarknessTimes|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Darkness,12+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
            > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=FaerieFireTimes|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
            > -
            >
            >> The Times would need a Variable which Requires a DEFINE tag.
            >>
            >> I'm at work, so I don't have the available free time to look at the supplement and what all it
            >> changes, but if you give me exact items you need, I can change those.
            > The Drow is defined in rsrd_races_e_f.lst, the specific tag is
            > -
            > SPELLS:Innate|TIMES=1|CASTERLEVEL=TL|Dancing Lights,10+CHA|Darkness,12+CHA|Faerie Fire,11+CHA|PRESTAT:1,INT=10
            > -
            >

            > Thanks,
            > Helge

          • koenig.trex
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
              Good evening,

              > DATA-933 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-933>
              > *Make Drow SLAs modifiable* <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-933>
              > Completed at Revision: 19517

              Thanks, I do not have a jira account yet.

              Greetings,
              Helge