Re: [pcgen] Re: Some questions and some feedback on batch-convert: no improvement for 6.00.0

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 20, 2013
      Hi Adriaan,

      On 18/02/2013 8:18 AM rogerwllco wrote

      >>> I can't find the batch-converter.jar in the zips on that page, I tried "program", "full" and "libraries".

      I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
      for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
      you could either run it from the command line as

      java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert

      or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
      autobuild folder.

      Cheers,
      James.
    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
        Copying the batch-converter.jar and the .command file I made did the trick.

        Cheers,

        Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

        > Hi Adriaan,

        > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
        > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
        > you could either run it from the command line as
        >
        > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
        >
        > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
        > autobuild folder.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > James.

      • rogerwllco
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
          Some very nice improvements, thanks.

          I would still like to see file name and line numbers for the reported warnings and errors.

          Filenames would especially be useful for the popups. I've just been hunting the Innate Spell feat in 5 sources to find which one it was complaining about (good thing I have grep).

          By the way, I pity the old CMP data monkeys. Apparently WotC hadn't learned of the existence of copy-paste yet in 2004, all versions are worded differently and have slightly different mechanics and prerequisites. And it's not CMP's fault, it's in the books themselves, not even corrected in the errata...
        • Rob Allen
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
              Hi Rob,

              It looks like the text from you post didn't make it through. Can you repost?

              Thanks!

              Maredudd

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                Hi Adriaan,

                On 7/03/2013 5:31 AM rogerwllco wrote
                > Some very nice improvements, thanks.
                Excellent, thanks for checking it out and for the good suggestions.

                > I would still like to see file name and line numbers for the reported warnings and errors.

                Unfortunately that is quite a difficult task and one that won't be
                possible in the short term.

                > Filenames would especially be useful for the popups. I've just been hunting the Innate Spell feat in 5 sources to find which one it was complaining about (good thing I have grep).

                I can have a look into that one.

                > By the way, I pity the old CMP data monkeys. Apparently WotC hadn't learned of the existence of copy-paste yet in 2004, all versions are worded differently and have slightly different mechanics and prerequisites. And it's not CMP's fault, it's in the books themselves, not even corrected in the errata...

                Yeah the rules can be quite painful like that.

                Cheers,
                James.
              • Rob Allen
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                  > Hi Rob,
                  >
                  > It looks like the text from you post didn't make it through. > Can you repost?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Maredudd

                  Sorry. My mail client defaults to HTML text and I guess the listserv doesn't like that.

                  Here's the original e-mail:
                  --------------------------
                  Sorry if this is already a JIRA or otherwise known issue. I was noticing it late last night and didn't have the energy to look it up, and now I'm at work and can't. Specifically I was doing a PF cleric (lv3) build that had lots of scrolls. First, the Scroll Case (from the PF Adv. Player's Guide) isn't a container, so though I had one I couldn't put the scrolls in it. No biggie.

                  Then I added all the scrolls to my default equipment set. Oh! (I noticed) Those ones aren't scrolls I wanted! So I unequipped them...except one stayed behind in my inventory. But wait, I had two. Now there are two unequipped and one in my inventory as well! So I tried to unequip the malingerer and it wouldn't go away. I added the two, and now I had Qty 3. I unequipped them, and now I had 3 unequipped on one still in my inventory. So I unequipped all my scrolls and ended up with them all unequipped (plus the couple of extras that had spontaneously reproduced) - with Qty 1 of each scroll type left in my inventory.

                  Seems like there's a count decrement off somewhere.

                  Not a huge deal, but something you might want to look into. :)

                  Rob
                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                    Hi Rob,

                    You say your running 6.00.00, and it looks like your running at least the PFCR and APG. What other sets do you have loaded?

                    Also, what OS are you running?

                    Maredudd

                    On Mar 6, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

                    > > Hi Rob,
                    > >
                    > > It looks like the text from you post didn't make it through. > Can you repost?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Maredudd
                    >
                    > Sorry. My mail client defaults to HTML text and I guess the listserv doesn't like that.
                    >
                    > Here's the original e-mail:
                    > --------------------------
                    > Sorry if this is already a JIRA or otherwise known issue. I was noticing it late last night and didn't have the energy to look it up, and now I'm at work and can't. Specifically I was doing a PF cleric (lv3) build that had lots of scrolls. First, the Scroll Case (from the PF Adv. Player's Guide) isn't a container, so though I had one I couldn't put the scrolls in it. No biggie.
                    >
                    > Then I added all the scrolls to my default equipment set. Oh! (I noticed) Those ones aren't scrolls I wanted! So I unequipped them...except one stayed behind in my inventory. But wait, I had two. Now there are two unequipped and one in my inventory as well! So I tried to unequip the malingerer and it wouldn't go away. I added the two, and now I had Qty 3. I unequipped them, and now I had 3 unequipped on one still in my inventory. So I unequipped all my scrolls and ended up with them all unequipped (plus the couple of extras that had spontaneously reproduced) - with Qty 1 of each scroll type left in my inventory.
                    >
                    > Seems like there's a count decrement off somewhere.
                    >
                    > Not a huge deal, but something you might want to look into. :)
                    >
                    > Rob

                  • Rob Allen
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 6, 2013
                      The OS is Win 7 Pro x64. I'll have to look up the exact sources later, but it's at least: PFCR, PFAPG, Rise of the Runelords PG, the PF Bestiary, and maybe one more (can't recall).

                      Rob

                      > Hi Rob,
                      >
                      > You say your running 6.00.00, and it looks like your running at least the PFCR and APG. What other sets do you have loaded?
                      >
                      > Also, what OS are you running?
                      >
                      > Maredudd

                      On Mar 6, 2013, at 6:47 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

                      <snip>

                      > Sorry if this is already a JIRA or otherwise known issue. I was noticing it late last night and didn't have the energy to look it up, and now I'm at work and can't. Specifically I was doing a PF cleric (lv3) build that had lots of scrolls. First, the Scroll Case (from the PF Adv. Player's Guide) isn't a container, so though I had one I couldn't put the scrolls in it. No biggie.
                      >
                      > Then I added all the scrolls to my default equipment set. Oh! (I noticed) Those ones aren't scrolls I wanted! So I unequipped them...except one stayed behind in my inventory. But wait, I had two. Now there are two unequipped and one in my inventory as well! So I tried to unequip the malingerer and it wouldn't go away. I added the two, and now I had Qty 3. I unequipped them, and now I had 3 unequipped on one still in my inventory. So I unequipped all my scrolls and ended up with them all unequipped (plus the couple of extras that had spontaneously reproduced) - with Qty 1 of each scroll type left in my inventory.
                      >
                      > Seems like there's a count decrement off somewhere.
                      >
                      > Not a huge deal, but something you might want to look into. :)
                      >
                      > Rob
                    • rogerwllco
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                        One thing that I find odd, is that I have one source that has two feats with CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Specialization but I only get a popup for the first one, with text starting with:
                        "Need help with underlying type for CHOOSE:FEAT=Weapon Specialization

                        I don't get a popup for the second feat with exactly the same syntax.
                        (Both the old 6.0 converter and the new one you from 6.00.01RC1)

                        If I look at the output, it seems to have changed both occurrences. Is this on purpose? In that case my congratulations with making the converter smart enough not to ask the same question twice.

                        Cheers,

                        Adriaan Renting/RogerWilco

                        > Hi Adriaan,

                        > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                        > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                        > you could either run it from the command line as
                        >
                        > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
                        >
                        > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
                        > autobuild folder.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > James.

                      • rogerwllco
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                          Also, you didn't really answer my question if you wanted my complete log output. You did state you were interested in the exceptions I encountered. These two pop up in the latest version of the converter:

                          SEVERE Bad roll string in '1d12+STR': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "STR"
                          java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "STR"
                          at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
                          at pcgen.core.RollInfo.parseRollInfo(RollInfo.java:225)
                          at pcgen.core.RollInfo.validateRollString(RollInfo.java:88)
                          at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:49)
                          at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:34)
                          at pcgen.rules.persistence.token.AbstractNonEmptyToken.parseToken(AbstractNonEmptyToken.java:36)
                          at pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(TokenSupport.java:62)
                          at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(LoadContext.java:257)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.DefaultTokenProcessor.process(DefaultTokenProcessor.java:38)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.TokenConverter.process(TokenConverter.java:108)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.processToken(EquipmentLoader.java:126)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(EquipmentLoader.java:82)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(LSTConverter.java:325)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(LSTConverter.java:195)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(LSTConverter.java:131)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(RunConvertPanel.java:198)
                          at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

                          SEVERE Bad roll string in 'Spell': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
                          java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell"
                          at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:48)
                          at pcgen.core.RollInfo.parseRollInfo(RollInfo.java:112)
                          at pcgen.core.RollInfo.validateRollString(RollInfo.java:88)
                          at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:49)
                          at plugin.lsttokens.equipment.DamageToken.parseNonEmptyToken(DamageToken.java:34)
                          at pcgen.rules.persistence.token.AbstractNonEmptyToken.parseToken(AbstractNonEmptyToken.java:36)
                          at pcgen.rules.persistence.TokenSupport.processToken(TokenSupport.java:62)
                          at pcgen.rules.context.LoadContext.processToken(LoadContext.java:257)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.DefaultTokenProcessor.process(DefaultTokenProcessor.java:38)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.TokenConverter.process(TokenConverter.java:108)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.processToken(EquipmentLoader.java:126)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(EquipmentLoader.java:82)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(LSTConverter.java:325)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(LSTConverter.java:195)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(LSTConverter.java:131)
                          at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(RunConvertPanel.java:198)
                          at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

                          > Hi Adriaan,

                          > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                          > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                          > you could either run it from the command line as
                          >
                          > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
                          >
                          > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the
                          > autobuild folder.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > James.

                        • rogerwllco
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 7, 2013
                            Sorry, there is a bit more info in the log related to these that wasn't part of the exception itself:

                            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/supplement/psionics_handbook/psihbk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equipmod.lst
                            LSTERROR DAMAGE is invalid: Bad roll string in '1d12+STR': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "STR" (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/supplement/psionics_handbook/psihbk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_melee.lst)
                            LSTERROR Illegal Token 'DAMAGE' '1d12+STR' for pcgen.core.Equipment 5Test23 DAMAGE:1d12+STR in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/generic/supplement/psionics_handbook/psihbk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_melee.lst
                            SEVERE Unable to unparse: DAMAGE:1d12+STR

                            I think the DAMAGE for this item should just read 1d12. The +STR should be applied by PCGen itself because it counts like a onehanded melee weapon.

                            file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement/lords_of_darkness/lrddrk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equipmod.lst
                            LSTERROR DAMAGE is invalid: Bad roll string in 'Spell': java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Spell" (Source: file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement/lords_of_darkness/lrddrk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_ranged.lst)
                            LSTERROR Illegal Token 'DAMAGE' 'Spell' for pcgen.core.Equipment 4Test14 DAMAGE:Spell in file:/Users/renting/meuk/DnD35/cmp5164/vendordata/cmp/rules_system_v35e/wizards_of_the_coast/forgotten_realms/supplement/lords_of_darkness/lrddrk_d20_fantasy_v35e_equip_weap_ranged.lst

                            This one is more interesting, as it's a thrown rock with a spell stored in it, which gets released on a successful ranged touch attack. I've completely removed the DAMAGE tag for now, as I don't think this is valid syntax.

                            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "rogerwllco" <g.a.renting@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > at pcgen.gui.converter.loader.EquipmentLoader.process(EquipmentLoader.java:82)
                            > at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.load(LSTConverter.java:325)
                            > at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.startItem(LSTConverter.java:195)
                            > at pcgen.gui.converter.LSTConverter.processCampaign(LSTConverter.java:131)
                            > at pcgen.gui.converter.panel.RunConvertPanel$1.run(RunConvertPanel.java:198)
                            >

                            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi Adriaan,

                            > > I'll investigate how to include that, but the actual jar file is just
                            > > for convenience, all the code files are pulled in from pcgen.jar. So,
                            > > you could either run it from the command line as
                            > >
                            > > java -Xmx512m -classpath pcgen.jar pcgen.gui.converter.PCGenDataConvert
                            > >
                            > > or you could copy the batch-convert.jar from your 6.0 install into the

                          • rogerwllco
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 8, 2013
                              I have now finished the conversion of my datasets to 6.00.0. At least the converter doesn't give any errors any more.

                              I will still need to test the results to see if things indeed work, but the improvements in the converter have helped me a lot. It has easily saved me a few hours of clicking through things.

                              also the tips on how to run the converter with more memory were essential.

                              Limitations like the refusal to overwrite an earlier conversion attempt have gone from being a some painful minutes to select everything again to just a small annoyance of a few seconds of clicking Next.

                              It made a big difference.

                              Thank you.