Re: [pcgen] Rule Look up please - Pathfinder

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
      Link: http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9okv

      Titan Mauler: Does the Jotungrip class feature (page 30) allow the
      Titan Mauler to use oversized weapons?

      No. Jotungrip allows the titan mauler to use two-handed melee weapons in
      one hand, but only if the weapon is appropriately sized for the
      character. The massive weapon class feature allows her to use oversized
      weapons with decreased penalty, but does not allow her to use two-handed
      weapons of that size in one hand.

      *Update* Page 30, in the titan mauler archetype, in the Jotungrip class
      feature, in the first sentence, insert the word "melee" between
      "two-handed" and "weapon."

      ---Stephen Radney-MacFarland, 10/13/11

      DS/DL

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013

        I need the rules for 'Massive Weapons' it is the next ability in the chain, that's the text quoted.
        But good to know on the Grip One.

        On 2/11/2013 4:29 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
        > Link: http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1g1#v5748eaic9okv
        >

        > Titan Mauler: Does the Jotungrip class feature (page 30) allow the
        > Titan Mauler to use oversized weapons?
        >
        > No. Jotungrip allows the titan mauler to use two-handed melee weapons in
        > one hand, but only if the weapon is appropriately sized for the
        > character. The massive weapon class feature allows her to use oversized
        > weapons with decreased penalty, but does not allow her to use two-handed
        > weapons of that size in one hand.
        >
        > *Update* Page 30, in the titan mauler archetype, in the Jotungrip class
        > feature, in the first sentence, insert the word "melee" between
        > "two-handed" and "weapon."
        >
        > ---Stephen Radney-MacFarland, 10/13/11
        >

        > DS/DL
        >
        > On 2/11/2013 2:44 AM, Andrew wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> At 3rd level, a titan mauler becomes skilled in the use of massive
        >> weapons looted from her titanic
        >> foes. The attack roll penalty for using weapons too large for her size
        >> is reduced by 1, and this
        >> reduction increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 3rd (to a
        >> minimum of 0). This ability
        >> replaces trap sense.
        >>
        >> I need someone to verify if the intent is to allow use of a Two-Handed
        >> Greatsword of LARGE size.
        >> Based upon the rules as I understand them, you may wield a Light Large
        >> Weapon as a One-Handed with a
        >> -2 Penalty, or a Light Huge Weapon as a Two-Handed with a -4 Penalty.
        >> This though is how 3.5 does
        >> Weapon Sizing, and how Pathfinder is currently set up to work.
        >>
        >> The bug report mentioned TwoHanded Large Greatsword, so I've got that
        >> in place, but after re-reading
        >> the ability, I want to have a verification of the ability by a Paizo
        >> Pathfinder savvy user - i.e.
        >> cite the rule or get an answer from their forum. Thanks!
        >>
        >> Cheers,
        >>
        >> --
        >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        >> Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • Ainvar G
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
          The consensus in the bit of research I did on this is that a FAQ is warranted - they seem to agree that the intent was to allow use of larger weapons, but as written, it does not do so.

          The specific example of whether they can use an oversized Greatsword is answered in the negative as written, in the affirmative as intended.

          Quote from Jason Nelson: "The intent WAS to break the size limits, but I forgot to address the
          existing rule on oversized weapons and so the RAW ends up with an
          ability that is not very useful. Mark it as a FAQ question and perhaps
          at some point SKR, SRM, or JB will issue an official errata clarifying
          the issue from a RAW perspective."

          http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2n3tb?Titan-Mauler-what-can-and-cant-it-wield#7

          Not sure that provides an guidance regarding how to code that up, though.

          AinvarG

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 11, 2013
            Yeah, I went with the Inappropriately Sized rules till they choose to clarify it further. But that
            does help.

            Something we'll have to keep an eye on. For the future.